Permanent residency in South Africa?
  • Hello my name is Chris... I am right now here in South Africa, and I'm entering with a tourist visa... soon the tourist visa will be converted to a volunteer visa because I have a friend who can grant the volunteer visa for me, and the volunteer visa will last for the next 3 years.

I have a question here, can I get a permanent residence after just (maybe one year) while the volunteer visa is still not expired?

Can I get a permanent residence if I have good skills in some kind of area? The situation is - I plan to work as a "freelance" graphic designer (not working at a company), so I won't be able to get a work permit... Will I be able to get a permanent residence after I work as a freelance graphic designer and show good skills? - I read on the home affairs website that permanent residence also applied for the "people who have great skills"... I don't know for whom is it applied for...

If I can't get much information about the visas / permanent residence permit and so on where should I ask? because I need this information, and someone who can guide me about this...

Thank you and please reply
    Sincerely,

Chris
  • Hi Chris,
    I don't know where you're from but I think your most reliable way to get information of this kind is from your embassy in South Africa. They should be able to help you with all these questions - that's what they are there for. If your country doesn't have an embassy in South Africa it may just be worth biting the bullet and contacting South African home affairs directly - you may have to wait a bit for information but at least when you get it you'll know it's accurate. If you do a bit of research on the web you're bound to turn up lots of information but it's hard to know what is accurate.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged