Why do Nepalese want to learn English?
  • Hallo everyone,

newbie here -

i have opportunity to go to Nepal to teach children English. But there is no water and no electricity in the village.
    Am wondering if they are so cut off, why the need to learn English?

Thanks

Karaman
    The spirit never dies
  • As an English teacher in other parts of Asia I can give you information that may be relevant. Students in rural areas have a big advantage if they can speak English often because it allows them the skills to find employment elsewhere. Money earned in larger areas is often funneled back to their home village through their family. Also, speaking English often qualifies people for important jobs even in small villages such as principal of a school, etc. Less specifically, again even in remote villages, their is a desire to connect with the outside world and English is often seen as a first step. And, of course, attracting tourism is the big reason remote areas become fluent in English. Hope this helps.
  • Hallo Alexander Stone,

thanks for your comment - much appreciated. I thought as much but wanted to be sure. Thinking of a six-month stint in Nepalese village (no water, no electricity) - i suppose its my last chance to make a difference somewhere before i retire.

thanks again

Sue
    The spirit never dies
  • i dont think electricity matters much,along with water,learning a language in itself will give the napelese a boom schute ti launch from the land locked country to world wide .language can be very helpfull sometimes ,regarding the teaching part we have to consider as it is the conditions
  • 1. English is an international language.
    2.Knowing english brings oppertunity to study variety of journals,subjects,literatures,especially those whose translation in local language is not available.
    3. One can interact with wide number of people,both from homeland and foreign.
    4.Essential qualification for better job prospects.
    5.Qualifies one to become tourist guide,travel agent etc. .
    6.Overall growth of personality.
    7. Connects one with outside world.
    8. Brings foreign revenue home.
    etc. etc.. other obvious reasons
  • thanks anand,

but question is now academic - the folks who were going to sponsor me to teach have pulled out so i guess i wont be going now. perhaps its the economic downturn or something, i dont know. no reason has been given. pity.

good luck with your travels if youre on the road.

sue
    the spirit never dies
    +++++++++++++++++
  • WELL WELL WELL WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN TO NEPAL WHICH LANGUAGE DID YOU SPEAK FIRST.YOU COMMUNICATED TO THE SCHOOL STAFF WITH THE HELP OF ENGLISH.AND HOW HAVE YOU BEEN BENEFITED BY SPEAKING THE ENGLISH.ENGLISH HAS BEEN NEED ,NOT THE ESSENTIAL.HOPE IT HAD FIGURE IT OUT WHY ENGLISH IS ESSENTIAL.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged