Single American female going to Luanda Angola for business
  • I have an opportunity to go to Luanda, Angola for business. I work in the oil industry. I am an American female that speaks no Portuguese... Does this sound crazy? I've read the travel advisories posted by the state department. Doesn't sound too bad. I wouldn't be wandering around on my own. I am pretty travel savvy and wouldn't put myself in a bad situation... I don't have to go on this trip, but I think it would be sooo interesting. Does anyone know if there is a lot of anti-American sentiment there? Is it a terrible idea to go there without knowing any Portuguese? Thanks.
  • Any American females who have been to Luanda out there?
  • There is little or no anti-American sentiment in Angola. The US Dollar is the local currency, and the business community will almost all speak English. Many parts of Luanda and Angola in general are still very "third-world".

As you are a savvy woman traveller, I can only re-iterate this general advice:
    1. Do not take public transport - even taxis - ever
    2. Take accommodation in an American/European ex-patriate enclosed area if one exists
    3. Do not venture off the beaten path to adventurist areas, there are still a lot of land mines.
    4. Learn SOME Portuguese: yes, no, please, thank you, etc... It will purchase you some good will.

Good luck and kind regards,
    Pauline
  • Hi there, I am a born Angolan South African. I speak both English and Portuguese very fluently. I am also contemplaiting moving to Angola for business. Maybe we could parter with each other. I have been to Angola 5 times already. Let me know. My email address is jorgedealmeida@pigott-associates.com
  • hey there, am a Cameroonian , i live and do business in Dubai , wana travel for business in Angola , cant speak Portuguse but very ok in English and French.
    need a partner around during my stay in Luanda
    contact, hanze_hanze@yahoo.com ,will be greatful to have some local friends too.
  • Hi,
    I will be traveling to Luanda mid of this month, on business visit . Not much clear about language & culture out there. Anyone, can give good advice for good & budget HOTEL.

Would be looking for friends or well-wisher as well, reach me on: rajeshp2408@gmail.com

Regards,

Rajesh
  • Are you a tech in the oil industry? I am a former DOD Contractor in Iraq, specializing in performing technical maintenance contracts. I am in Angola and the oil industry is of interest. I speak portuguese fluently. e-mail: etechphi@yahoo.com
  • I am an American currently applying for a job in "the oil industry" and wonder if you made it, if so how is it going? or how was it? thanks please email ron@foggacee.com thanks
  • do you want open a company in angola or namibia and you are looking for a partner,fill free to contact,me at michaelpeter2009@live.com for more informatiom.
  • Hi, my name is Bilal Tariq. My father works with British Petroleum and got transferred to Luanda. At first I was a little hesitant of moving, but after researching Luanda and the business opportunities that reside their I can't wait to get there in July. My email address is: bilalt.1010@gmail.com, anyone who is looking to start up a venture there this year please drop me an email. I want to start something in the Lifestyle/Hospitality Industry and look forward to joining forces with anyone as passionate as me about business.
  • Hi

I am due to reloacte to Luanda in the very near future.

can someone please advise on the average cost of living per single person per month? (car & accomodations are provided by the company)

Thanks
  • my name is edward, i am an amerian, i am trying to set up whole outlet to sale imports from ameria. email me nnadi4@yahoo.com. please advise me,i do not seake portuguse.
  • ok , i am in luanda now , any help ?... i have the experiance to work in any thing in luanda since i am here from long time and i eat i use taxi i go every where any time inside luanda and outside . contact ..therainsound@hotmail.com
  • Hi, ever one I’m an Angola male resident and qualified in UK I’m about to go back to work with the Angola government in 2013, I speak English and Portuguese who would like any help or work as partner e-mail me augusto22@yahoo.co.uk
  • I'M LUIS , BORN IN ANGOLA, LIVED IN BRAZIL AND SOUTH AFRICA, WITH EXPERIENCES OF INDIA, USA, SPEAK ENGLISH AND PORTUGUESE FLUENTLY, WELL INFORMED ABOUT THE ART OF DOING BUSINESS IN ANGOLA.

THINKING OF VENTURING IN BUSINESS IN ANGOLA, PLEASE DROP ME AN EMAIL ON LUIS.ASSIS40@GMAIL.COM.
  • Hi i am an Indian boy living in Lunada,Angola.Fluently speak English,Portuguese.Hard working, Honest and very good in Computer job or any other..love to learn more and more and would like to work in a good company or with an individual...please conatct 00244 943678922
  • Hi all out there I am a Gambian residing in Luanda and welcoming any one who want to establish business and or want to invest with me to do business you can email me on mstambadou@yahoo.co.uk. Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion