Entry requirements to UK?
  • I would like to visit friends in England ,in April,and I am a South African citizen.
    do I need a Visa?
  • Yes, you need a visa before departure, as well as other requirements like proof of funds and return ticket.
  • why then do some websites state that I don't need one?
  • Terrence - You are correct that no visa is required for a holiday, only if you intend going for a working holiday. However, note the following information from the Department of Home Affairs:

It should be emphasised that entry to the United Kingdom is not simply a formality if a prospective visitor is in possession of a passport, return ticket and adequate funds. The onus rather is on the person seeking entry to satisfy the immigration officer as to his or her intentions.

There is no mandatory entry clearance (visa) requirement for South African nationals wishing to come to the United Kingdom as visitors. However, there is provision for prospective visitors to apply for an optional entry clearance (visa) at the nearest British Diplomatic Post if they are in any doubt whether they will qualify for entry.

Travellers seeking entry as visitors to the UK are likely to be refused entry if they request to enter the UK, as a visitor, for a six month holiday but carry with them copies of their resume and/or work references.

Clarify what you need with a call to the British High Commission, Pretoria, South Africa: +27 (0)12 421 7500.
  • thanks a lot for your time, that's a huge help!
  • I have a friend wanting to visit the United Kingdom - he is currently in Holland - does he need a visa to visit the United Kingdom - he is jamaican. Thanks.
  • I have one question, too. So I would apreciate any kind of help. I have Bosnian citizenship, but I have Austrian residance permit. Am I able to enter England just for a tourist visit ?
  • Both Jamaicans and Bosnians need a visa to enter the UK. See more here: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/doineedvisa/visadatvnationals
  • I am an american government employee that will be stationed in England. Our family has a friend that wants to move to England to live with us. I will provide all support required, what documents would they need, how long would it take to get them and how hard would it be? As a second option could they visit for 6 months at a time? How hard is it to get it approved for 6 months at a time and how long would they have to return to the US after the 6 months before they could return again. Our family will be there for 3 to 5 years.
  • I'll go with my host family to work as a domestic employeer, and i want to know if I can get my visa if I am 17 years old. Im From Mexico
  • hi,saw your nice sugectiones....i have spanish perminent recidency on married base and iam indian citizen.do i need visa to enter in england ,irland and finland.thank you
    waiting for your helped full sugestion.bye
  • My Daughter and family are on South African passports although she has British Nationality (but no passport) through me, her mother.
    Will they require visas if they come to visit us in England?
    My daughter said this afternoon that apparently this "new" visa scenario is due to home affairs being inefficient as Namibia, Botswana and others met the criteria and don't need visas.
    Comments please
  • my parents are coming for 4 months' holiday in the uk from mauritius.to stay with sons and daughter already stayed in the uk what are the entry requirements?

jen
  • From March 2009, a visa is required for South African passport holders. The visiting visa will cost £65 while a transit visa will cost £45. The change has come about because so many legitimate passports have been fraudulently issued by corrupt home affairs staff to criminals and asylum seekers.
  • hi I am unsure on how to go abouts getting a working holiday visa, what is the requirements, financially? and what else will I need thank you..
  • I have a question, I'm a US citizen who is here in the UK for 6 months, i return back to the states in 5 weeks. I want to come back to the UK with my son on his holiday break, how long do i have to wait to re enter the UK? if anyone can help, i would appreciate it..thank you
  • Hi,
    I am English and would like to visit Las Vegas for a few days and New York for a couple, I am travelling to Canada later this year and want to leave Calgary and fly to Las Vegas then New York and home to England. I have a conviction that has been waived in the UK but have been informed I need a visa to enter the US. I tried the ESTA site and was told I couldn't enter, even though the conviction was 15 years ago.
    Do the US allow some people in that have had previous convictions, especially if it is only for a very short period, 6 days max?
    Danni
  • Does a German citizen residing in Canada require a passport with six months to expiry to enter England? Traveling August, but passport expires in February. Thanks.
  • hi,
    I am Pakistani passport holder but am living in Dubai
    Well a just want some information about England Visa in July , my cousin is going to get married so she want me to
    Invite England to attend her wedding . so what I have to do for obtaining visa
    I have real clue that am only going there for attend wedding not for living
    I have wedding invitation card as well .(Its going to help me out ?)
    I am currently 17 year old working with impact BBDO and I am capable to pay off for my all expenses,
    but i don't have bank account because in Dubai you should be 18 to open one but i can show my salary certificate
    Please do let me I am ok to get visa ?
    Thanks
  • I would like to visit England ,in June,and I am an Honduran - Central america citizen.
    do I need a Visa?
  • Hey,
    I am a UK citizen with an American boyfriend. We were wondering how long a US citizen has to wait after spending 6 months in the UK in the US in order to return to the UK. (return again as a general visitor) We need to do this for 2 years in order to give me time to finish my degree, is it possible to do this back and forth without a visa? We have carelessly already booked the tickets =s

It has been very hard to find any information. Thanks
  • hi i am a uk citenzen and i am going to live in namibia with my boyfriend and son do i need a visa and also could my boyfriend come bk if he overstayed his visa for 3years and has a kid wat is the possibility
  • JE SUIS RESIDENT EN FRANCE ET EPOUX D'UNE FRANCAISE AVEC TROIS ENFANTS FRANCAIS.AI JE BESOIN D'UN VISA POUR ALLER EN ANGLETERRE POUR LES VACANCES?
  • I am married to an English citizena dnwill be visiting him in December for two weeks, then returning to the US. Do I need a visa?
  • iM HOLDING AN EIRE (IRISH, EUROPEAN) PASSPORT AND AM HOPING TO GO BACK TO THE UK TO VISIT MY FAMILY THIS MONTH (MAY 09') NOW WAS WONDERING DO I NEED TO HAVE 6 MONTHS VALID AND HAVE TO RENEW MY PASSPORT, OR CAN I TRAVEL AS PLANNED AND RENEW AFTER I RETURN TO MY CURRENT COUNTRY?
  • FORGOT TO MENTION-MY PASSPORT EXPIRES IN SEPTEMBER 09 -4 MONTHS TIME.
  • I would like to visit friends in England for a couple weeks and would like to know if I do need to apply for entry clearance and/or general visitor before arriving to UK? Even though I am a US citizen.
  • I have a South African passport.

I visited the UK in June 2008 and my current passport was duly stamped.

I will be arriving in the UK on 21 June 2009 and departing on 14 July 2009.

Do I need a UK visa?
  • I am a Ukrainian citizen with a Ukrainian passport, I have a green card (legal resident status-can not have a US passport until I become a citizen) in the US (same for my daughter). I want to visit some friends in England.
    1. How long can I stay? If I want to stay longer, is it renewable or do I need to leave and return another time?
    2. What process do I need to do to get a tourist visa?
  • Hi Carrie, I was just there in the UK for 6 mnths and arrived back here in the states in April. I was told before leaving that you're only a6 mnths allowed to stay 6 mnths out of a 12 mnth period. They told me from the date that you entered the UK, not leaving. So, I was there in October and I plan on returning again in October...hopefully, if that was the correct ...keeping my fingers crossed....good luck!
  • MESSAGE FOR DAN TRAVELLING TO U.K. WITH IRISH PASSPORT,HE CAN TRAVEL,THERE IS NO 6 MONTH RULE AS HE MENTIONED,THERE IS FREE ACCESS ALL AREAS BETWEEN U.K. & EIRE.BONN VOYAGE
  • I am travelling from Oz for 6 week vacation do I require a visa. In 76 had a Cert. of patriality but lost that travelling to pampolona in 77, not sure if I can get another as father, mother Aunts grand P's deceased?
  • I often visit the UK with my British partner. How long can I stay in UK on my US passport? Does this allow for travel out of Britain for a few days?
  • HI IM A BAHRAINI PASSPORT HOLDER AND A CANADIAN LANDED (NOT A RESIDENT) I WANT TO VISIT UK... DO I NEED A VISA FOR THAT? THANK U :)
  • i went out to canada in jan 2008 and only reurned back in april this year my visa ran out i was stopped by immigration on the way into canada and only given a 30 day visa which i extended to a date which i should of returned in 2008 because i got my self out of canada would i be allowed to return back even just for a visit or do i have to wait a while till i can go back
    some one please give me some info if you can would be a great help
  • I might be going to England for an interview, I am a US citizen, Do I know I need my passport, (I'll be there only several days) will it be stamped?

Thanks!
  • I'm a brazilian citizen living in th US. My passport expires on sep 14th and I'm going to London on July 27th. Should I get a new passport before leaving the US? I'll be back on sep 2nd.
  • hi - i am a british citizen living in the US. i am planning to go for a holiday in july 2009 but my british passport expires eptemeber 2009. will i be able to enter the uk (my passport will not be 6 months valida) then get the passport done in 1 day service druing my stay at the london passport office? please respond as soon as u can. thanks for any help
  • hi i m a pakistani citizen i want to visit friend in uk i have japanies family visa my status in passport is dependent. can u help me. thanx
  • Hi i am a australian citizen and i would like to visit family in the UK, for 2 weeks.
    I have searched many places and i have not found the right answer i have been looking for lets hope someone can help. What are the age requirements for traveling from Sydney,Australia to London,England?
  • If I have a friend in Thailand, what do they need to visit me here in the UK for a holiday?
  • Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with the following query.......it's a tough one and I can't seem to get anyone to provide me with a clear answer so far!

I am a Canadian citizen, with a Canadian passport, but have lived in England since January 2001 (I have right to reside indefinately). I am taking my son home to Canada for a visit in March/April 2010. His Canadian passport doesn't run out until 2011 so he's fine for coming back into England. My Canadian passport runs out in August 2010 four months after our return date to England. I know that my passport will be okay to get into Canada right up until the day of expiry, because it's a Canadian passport.......but do I need to have 6 months validity on my passport when we return to England as I LIVE and work in England and my passport gets renewed IN England anyway?

Any clarification on this as quickly as possible would be useful as I need to know if I should be renewing my passport before I go.

Thanks!!!
  • Hi,
    I have citizenship of Netherlands. But My Passport is Indian.
    Do I need Visa for visiting Canada?

Harry
  • uhm this site is NOT hard to find. Im a Filipina with a Philippines passport last year, residing in USA as an Immigrant and went to England with the information my husband and I could find on this website. ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS READ the instructions. Before asking questions.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/

This will help those who are asking if they need any requirements (visa and etc) to go to UK.
  • my sister and her boyfriend who from England is planning to get married her in the Philippines, my question is can my sister go with right away or what the procedures in going to England
  • do a filipino citizen need to apply for a visa in going to England for vacation
  • I have indefinate leave to reamain in the UK and wud like to invite my aunt to visit me from kenya what are the requirents for entrace and visa to uk?
  • Hi, I am Argentinian. Do I need a visa to visit England?
  • I am travelling to the UK on a Canadian passport. I will probably be allowed a 6 month visit. My question is the following: Once I leave the UK after 6 months, how much time do I need to stay away before I try to re-enter the UK again ?
  • I am of Mexican nationality and am traveling to German - stopping over only in London to change planes only. Do I need a Visa for this?
  • Hi,

I received a bunch of emails and give them what they need . I scanned everything the send and send it back to them. I am glad co'z I was appointed to MAC1 ELECTRICAL SYSTEM. But recently I received an email that I have to pay for an ENTRY CLEARANCE for GBS 200 through Western Union.. I did process my pass port already for UK. I need some help before I pay for this amount, I need to know if this is a fraud Visa immigration or Not. I've read most on the forum that We should not use Western Union for payment. Please send me a reply guys...

Thanks

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged