Turkey Holiday: Dalyan or Kalkan?
  • My boyfriend and I want to go to Turkey this summer. We'll be visiting Istanbul and Cappadocia but we also want to hit one of the Mediterranean resorts while we're there. We've narrowed it down to either Kalkan or Dalyan but can't decide which one?
    We're both in our late 20s so we like a bit of a party, but enjoy eating out, hitting pubs and bars and generally having a but more of a mellow time.
    Anyone got any advice as to which resort would suit us better?
  • In istanbul Taxim is the best location for you...in Cappadocia you may join Turkish night shows to have plenty of music, drinks and food...but for the coast line I would suggest Kalkan...
  • Bodrum is quaint Europeanised buzzy and all cafes bars shops lead straight onto the sand and the ocean! Lots of night life and shopping. The beaches aren't great but are very sociable with waiter service huge cushions and brollies plus loungers. But I will try Kalkan next time. I also like Alanya. ENJOY! Have a BLAST!
  • Kiwigypsy - thanks for the above advice - any tips on the best bar and also best cafe to eat at?
  • I'd go for Dalyan. there's more to do, the surroundings are beautiful, the beach, although outside the resort is one of the best in the med, whereas Kalkan has no real beach, to speak of. Dalyan is better value all round, you'd love it, great food, bars, trips, need I say more
  • I would also say Kalkan. Kalkan is still small enough to enjoy a lovely friendly welscome. No high rise and clean restaurants and toilets. Many public officials and celebrities go to Kalkan for their holidays or own holiday homes there. There are plenty of restaurants, small bars and cafes so plenty to choose a favourite from and enough variety to please all the family. One doesn't see football t-shirts or the bums and boobs brigade to ruin your holiday. The beach is lovely. Clean round white pebbles with a gentle swell. If you prefer a larger beach, Patara is just 15 mins drive away. 18 klms of clean white sand gently shelving for a long way out and never to crowded. Kaputas beach is 5 mins from Kalkan - one of the most stunnig beaches and often used in the advertising posters of Turkey. You can find out more information about Kalkan on my website www.turkeyvillarental.com. There is much to do around Kalkan with many historic sites within an hours drive. There is everything you need to make an adventurous holiday, a cultered one or a lazy beach holiday to please most people. I am sure you wont be disappointed.
  • Sorry for got to say - there are many trips which can be taken from Kalkan including superb boat trips with lunch provided. If Diving is your pleasure there are a number of dive schools which are Padi registered. Saklikent gorge and canyon are worth a visit if you enjoy an adventure. A day trip to Arykanda is an amazing experience or the green lakes in the mountains behind Kalkan - water so cold its almost ice. There are a number of fresh trout restaurants hugging the valley side in Ishlamlar above Kalkan where you are over the gorge and river whilst enjoying fresh trout with a cool breeze giving some respite from the heat. The variety of activities should please everyone.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion