what currency to take to sri lanka
  • We are going to Sri Lanka in six weeks time from the uk and i was wondering what would be the best currency to take?Would it be possible to take sterling or would i be better off with travellers cheques?
  • I would take a small amount in Pounds cash, and change some into Rupees on arrival at the airport. Travellers cheques are useful from a security perspective, but can only be changed at banks, which might be a hassle. Have you considered using a Visa card and drawing cash from ATMs when you need it? Commercial bank has many ATMs around the country, although your bank may charge you a percentage transaction fee.
  • thanks phil,i will take your advice and take some pounds sterling and i also have a visa card,just in case
  • WE HAVE BOOKED OUR HOLIDAY FOR THE 8TH TO THE 19TH OF JUNE

DO YOU THINK IT WILL RAIN FOR THE 2WEEKS WE ARE THERE

CHEERS JOHN
  • Try www.worldweather.com for information
  • Hi,

i reccommand a €..

Xanadu
  • Hi,

can anyone tell me what the weather is like in Sri Lanka in May? and how hot it is? I am going to Bentota, Is this a nice place to stay?
    Also i am english but have been advised to take US Dollars and use them there or get them exchanged when im over there, as we are only allowed to take £30 worth of GB Pounds into the country. Does anyone know if this is true??

Hope someone can give me a bit of advice.

regards
    April
  • I have looking for a simliar answer and have found this usefull site.
    http://www.tourslanka.com/sri_lanka_travel_faq.htm

Regards,

Andrew
  • HI there,I think it is definitly more then 30 pounds.but i know we take 1300
    or more for a months stay.
  • We spent a month in India earlier this year and are spending a month in Sri Lanka next Feb. As far as currency is concerned, they are happy for you to take as much foreign currency in, but you cannot take unlimited Rupees out.

We took cash, but had the option of ATMs which are everywhere. Would recommend taking £, $, Euro. The best exchange rates are with the money changers (also everywhere but shop around). Try to avoid changing in the banks/hotels/airports. Be warned....money is hard to spend!!!!
  • Is it foreign money that's hard to spend?
  • I am travelling to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks in March, I have obtained an ETA double entry is that all I need (plus passport) to get into Sri Lanka. They keep talking about a visa is the ETA the same thing or will they give me a visa when I arrive at the airport

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged