Is Thailand safe for honeymoon couples?
  • We are planning for a honeymoon trip in the month of July 2010. Is it safe to visit? Please share your thoughts!!!
  • Yes, it will be fine! Have a look at our guide to Weddings and honeymoons in Thailand!
  • i am tavelling to bangkok and pattaya in the month of june.most probably 1st week is it safe?
  • i think you should postpone your tour.why not come to China, yunnan, sanya or guilin,it is the right time!
  • We have friends in Pattaya at this moment and everything fine there, we have also travelled during unrest in Bangkok and have not encountered any problems. I think like everywhere, just use common sense, and you will be fine.
  • Actually, if you travel to Thailand, it will not happen to you.
    Before, we would like to enjoy our honeymoon in Thailand where there is nice hospitality, lovely beaches, friendly people. However we read from news television, some explosions was happening in Thailand.
    So we changed our trip to other country.
    Actually, you should take your honeymoon in peace country as well. Let secure for your wife.
    I could recommend you some country nearby like Vietnam ( our peace country), Cambodia, Lao ( new destination)...
    If you still confuse where to go, contact me for more assistance ( kevinnguyen@thienthaohotel.com)
  • Ok, recent developments in Bangkok have changed my view on Thailand safety. As things curently stand, with general mayhem prevailing and over 60 dead, it is not advisable to fly into Bangkok and commute anywhere into or around the city.

The situation is volatile and although Westerners are not involved in the protest they may be targeted to draw attention to the Red Shirt's agenda.

However, if you are flying in to any other airport, like Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, then you are perfectly safe and there is no need to change your travel plans.
  • Information on the FCO website today indicates that things are calming down. Travel advice to Bangkok has changed from "not advised" to "only essential travel". Although this may not sound ideal, the situation is definitely calming down and I would advise people to still travel to Thailand without worry. The media has definitely hyped up this situation and the trouble is generally localised.
    The islands in the south are un affected, Kanchanaburi un affected, and trouble in Chiang Mai has ceased since the weekend.
    If you are looking for a good destination in Thailand for a honeymoon head to the remote and beautiful Ko Lanta, Ko Hai or Ko Raya which are away from the tourist route and peaceful.
  • Good feedback Rambler. Has there been any violence directed at Westerners or tourist facilities? I think that is the most important question - whether or not its just an internal, localised political thing or the first signs of a wider national instability...
  • There was no action directed at tourists during any of the protests. It was all against the government. The few foreigners that were injured were "sightseeing" at the protest, IMHO not the smartest thing to be doing.

Most of the tourist destinations outside Bangkok were unaffected, even Chiang Mai which was mentioned in some of the government warnings, was peaceful. The only thing that happened there was some tires being burned on the day of the crackdown. I live in Chiang Mai and other then the evening news and the occasional red flag flying outside a business, you wouldn't know there were protests going on.

While no one can predict the future, things should be fine and dandy come June & July.
  • Immediately after the surrender of the red shirts in Bangkok violence was sporadic but not targeted at tourists, as the Thai people realises how important the tourist trade is for their economy. As most of the farmers have returned home now peace is returning to the city and street in Bangkok and life continues as usual.
  • HEY i AM PLANNING TO COME TO BANGKOK AND CHIANG MAI FROM 10 TO 20 JULY 2010 FOR SHOPPING. PLEASE ADVISE ME IF ITS SAFE AND HOW IS WETHER CONDITION IN THIS PERIOD. ALSO WOULD LOVE SOME ADDITIONAL TIPS, BARGAINS, AS ITS MY FIRST TRAVEL TRIP TO THILAND. YOU MAY MAIL ME rock2u4u@yahoo.com
  • Foreigners who have heavily invested or have business interests in Thailand
    through relatives/friends will tell you that the situation in Thailand is calming down and business as usual but I have got some friends in Thailand who say otherwise.

I rather take my vacation to other tropical countries in the Southeast (like Singapore, Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam) and am sure they have far better to offer. I have been to Singapore, Philippines and Vietnam last May 2010 and my vacation to these countries was truly superb! If I were you I will have to twice not only twice but thrice before I go to Thailand.
  • I was in Bangkok few days after the killing of hundreds of Thais and injuring thousands. Thank God, I left the city immediately after experiencing all the turmoil and everything. I do not recommend for tourists to go there this year even if they say the situation is calming down - I learned my lessons well. I also remember on previous year when the yellow shirts closed down and paralyzed the whole of Suvarnabhumi Airport. My aunt and her friends were stranded at the airport. Prior to that incident, the media and all were saying that the situation in Thailand is ok - which was similar to what they had been saying before the red shirts problem erupted.

Thailand is definitely out from my list of vacation destinations in Southeast Asia.
  • Hi

I am planning for my honeymoon in mid october. I had a preferance of Thailand but looking at the views ova here its getting really very difficult for me to decide if it will be safer in terms of security. Please advice if its all well in terms of security, weather conditions if at all i move to thailand for a honeymoon trip. How bout the places, sight seeing, adventure.

Other options are truly welcome :). Pls mail me out to mepunu@gmail.com

Thanks

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged