Nepal trekking and accommodation
  • I am going trekking in the Annapurna region of Nepal and need to know what the conditions are like. What accommodation and facilities are available? Are there guesthouses, backpackers lodges etc. to stay in or do I need a good tent and a sleeping bag? Which are the best trekking routes? What are the essential sightseeing spots? Thanks
  • I visited Nepal and did trekking and went to Chitwan etc and i am still in touch with our tourist guide who did a fantastic job of organising all the activities and accommodation for about 20 of us
    He has his own company taking tourists round Nepal and Tibet, contact Tsering on his email and tell him i gave you his details, he is a lovely chap
    jigme@info.com.np
    Have a great trip, Nepal is a fantastic place!
  • Hi Sally,

Trekking in Nepal is AMAZING, and not nearly as intimidating/difficult as many people anticipate. Conditions, in terms of weather, tend to vary over the course of the year, although you can do shorter treks (like the Poon Hill trek) all year round. October and November are widely considered to be the best times to trek (especially because Deepawali falls over this period and there's a brilliant festival atmosphere in the mountain villages). However, October can be very busy indeed, so November is perhaps the best options.

As far as facilities are concerned, the are small trekking lodges all the way around the Annapurna Circuit, and although they may not be the most comfortable places in the world to sleep, they're friendly, pretty clean and there's every kind of comfort imaginable for tea. Most of the time, you can't book the trekking lodges in advance, but if you book the trek with a reputable agent, you'll find that everything is arranged for you.

I would still take a sleeping bag (you can hire Four Seasons sleeping bags everywhere in Pokhara, but if you're particularly hygiene conscious you might want to bring your own). It will be warm during the day when you're trekking, but as soon as the sun goes down the temperature takes a massive dip.

There isn't really a best trekking route in the Annapurnas as such, because travellers either trek all or part of the Annapurna Circuit (which takes around 18 days). The ABC trek (Annapurna Base Camp trek) takes ten days, and if you're pushed for time, you could try the Poon Hill trek (4/5 days).

Finally, the essential sightseeing - Kathmandu (Thamel, Durbar Square, Bodhnath, Pashupatinath, Swayambunath), Bhaktapur, Chitwan National Park, Pokhara.

I hope that helps!
  • Namaste Sally,
    We are happy that you are travelling to Nepal. We would like to assure you that we, Glimpses of Nepal Treks and Expeditions P. Ltd., will provide you the best service with efficient and well - experienced guide at reasoable cost. so we will be more excited to work on your enquiries about your tour detals. So please be free to right us at - glimpsesnepaltreks@ntc.net.np.

Looking forward for your kind and precious reply.

Manoj Raj Aryal
    Executive Sales and Marketing
    For - Glimpses of Nepal Treks and Expeditions P. Ltd.
  • One can save by staying as a paying guest. Paying Guests are those who stay in someone else house as a guest for a temporary period. One can enjoy the amenities in a homely atmosphere. Check this www.payinguests.com for advts.
  • Hi Fellow Trekker's,

This is Saimon from Canada. I have just return from 19 days Annapurna trip in Nepal we begin our trek from Beshi-Sahar all the way through Manang Thorong-La Pass 17769ft than Muktinath through Jomsom Tatopani (hot spring) was a bit justy road but we really enjoyed the path and Gorepani Punhill the most beautiful panoramic view I have never seen in my entire adventure we were 8 people in our group some from San Diego Ca, New Jersey, Spain we all meet in Kathmandu hotel our guide was Aang Phuri C.G Sherpa he is the founder of the company he take very good care us while on trek in mountain and city tour in Kathmandu untill we fly back to our destination my friend Jason and his family recommend us Aang Phuri last year because Jason family treked with Aang Phuri Annapurna Circut with his children 24days trip. The Sherpa people of Himalaya is very frank helpful and they respact their guest as a God. I will highly recommend Aang Phuri as professional guide and organizer in Nepal Himalayas. To get in touch with him you can email him at (sherpajourneys@wlink.com.np) he will do everything for your need.

Best wish to all of you

Saimon
    Vancouver, Canada
  • Now that the Annapurna circuit is well know, and some argue one of the best treks in the world, there are plenty of guesthouses/lodges to stay at. Definatley take your own sleeping bag though, but it can get cold up there so make sure it is a good one.

Which ever route you choose, the sights will be great, assumiing you go the right time of year. September to November and February to April usually have the best weather, i.e - The best sights!!
  • The trekking in Nepal is amazing, its so lovely to see all the amazing scenery, the sky is so clear, the air so clean and crisp. Being alone with nature!
  • Hi,
    Nepal is a lovely country with great natural beauties. Annapurna is a one of world famous trekking route and every year more than 80 thousand foreigner visit this place.

So great choice and you can find many good tour/trekking agents which can organize your trip.

Wishing you good journey
  • Hi Sally,

Trekking in Nepal is AMAZING, and not nearly as intimidating/difficult as many people anticipate. Conditions, in terms of weather, tend to vary over the course of the year, although you can do shorter treks (like the Poon Hill trek) all year round. October and November are widely considered to be the best times to trek (especially because Deepawali falls over this period and there's a brilliant festival atmosphere in the mountain villages). However, October can be very busy indeed, so November is perhaps the best options.

As far as facilities are concerned, the are small trekking lodges all the way around the Annapurna Circuit, and although they may not be the most comfortable places in the world to sleep, they're friendly, pretty clean and there's every kind of comfort imaginable for tea. Most of the time, you can't book the trekking lodges in advance, but if you book the trek with a reputable agent, you'll find that everything is arranged for you.

I would still take a sleeping bag (you can hire Four Seasons sleeping bags everywhere in Pokhara, but if you're particularly hygiene conscious you might want to bring your own). It will be warm during the day when you're trekking, but as soon as the sun goes down the temperature takes a massive dip.

There isn't really a best trekking route in the Annapurnas as such, because travellers either trek all or part of the Annapurna Circuit (which takes around 18 days). The ABC trek (Annapurna Base Camp trek) takes ten days, and if you're pushed for time, you could try the Poon Hill trek (4/5 days).

Finally, the essential sightseeing - Kathmandu (Thamel, Durbar Square, Bodhnath, Pashupatinath, Swayambunath), Bhaktapur, Chitwan National Park, Pokhara.

I hope that helps!
  • Hi, I agree with TravellingB.... bring your own sleeping bag or at least your own sleeping bag liner if you decide to hire one - sometimes the bags for hire can be a bit damp and musty ;-) if they have been in storage for a while....
    If you fancy a short but challenging trek and a more comfortable standard of accommodation (bedding provided so no need to bring or hire a sleeping bag and hot showers too!) and you are short on time you can also trek from Kathmandu into the Kathmandu valley and up into the foothills. You pass through small villages, forest and small towns and stay in places such as Dhulikel, Nagarkot and Bhaktapur....all great locations and some amazing views. Or perhaps do both to get a taste of a different region as well as Annapurna if you have time...
  • Hi Sally, the tea houses altough simple are usually in amazing spots along the way and are also a really great way of meeting other trekkers and comparing stories. The Annapurnas route is arguably the favourite circuit in Nepal and can be done as one long trek of about 16 days, or broken up into smaller treks. The Poon Hill trek is an incredible short trek and offers one of the most breathtaking views!

Regarding other highlights, make sure you leave plenty of time to explore Kathmandu! It is one of my all-time favourite cities and has something for everyone. I would also really recommend making the effort to get out to the picturesque medieval villages of Patan and Bhaktapur just outside the capital.
  • We are in San Francisco at the moment travelling in a motorhome. I tried to access your web-site from this computer, but without luck, I am sorry!
    May 2010 We enjoyed our trekking in the Annapurna region, and our guide was excellent, the tour was very well planned and despite political problems at the time we always felt safe. We trekked at our own pace and were never rushed. The trails are beautiful especially the part through the rhododendron forest. We would recommend Himalayan Abode Travel to anyone wishing to take this tour. Fred and Mary Pawelek Vancouver Canada
  • I would happily recommend Himalayan Abode Travel to all my friends and colleagues, the team is very professional, friendly and helpful. Their organisation skills are great and they provided a great holiday. I will definitely use them again. Thanks to Nabin and Prabin
    Web site: www.himalayanabode.com
  • We just came back from trekking + climbing. Tour with ASIAN ADVENTURE TREKS AND EXPEDITION PVT. LTD in the Khumbu region we can highly recommend this company as everything went well. The goal of our trek was to climb Island peak 6189 m. Without our qualified guide Dhan Bahadur we would have never reached the summit. He was all the time concerned about us and even motivated to make a second try three days later of our first trek failed become a success. The company organized all the proper work and the transport to the airport and fly to lukla. We have managed all our climbing equipments ourselves. We are happy that we choose this company and that we are safely back! To reach the summit was an experience we will never forget. Thanks to all the staffs.
    You can access their website which is http://www.asiantreks.com

Simon+Susanne

Leemann-Kasper
    Turmstrasse 4
    Switzerland
    sisulee@gmx.ch
  • Hi Sally,

Visit www.catreks.com for all the details, we organize tent cap trek (require 4 pax), Tea House Trek (less than 4 pax) or Self Catering trek if you are single trekker (guide cum porter provided, permits, flight, good sleeping bag can be hired in Kathmandu, Pokhara).
    There are good lodges & food in the Annapurna region.
    Sightseeing spot: numerous world heritage sites to visit in Kathmandu.

Need any assistance contact meela@wlink.com.np
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion