What's the best way to travel around Guatemala?
  • I'll be in Guatemala for a couple months, anyone got any tips or advice about the most efficient and safest mode of transport? I want to make a trip to Antigua and also a couple other areas - any helpful info would be great!

Thanks
  • I would recommend taking tour buses. I don't mean the public buses you'll see which are crazily decorated old american school buses. I mean smaller buses (often minibuses) that you can arrange from a tour office. There are plenty of these in all the major towns. They are designed to take you to all the attractions, and they're usually pretty damn cheap.

Antigua is a cool town, that maybe slightly overrun with tourists, but it's an excellent base to explore the surrounding area. I would personally recommend a visit up Volcano Pacaya (bring sturdy shoes for the lava!) and a trip to Lake Atitlan. Tikal in the north is amazing, and the Rio Dulce.

Everyone always mentions the market of Chichicastenango, but I found it quite tame and boring to be honest.

Anyway, have a great time!
  • From the airport (GUA) to Livingston (marina of Rio Dulce). HAve any suggestion? Is it safe to travel by public bus on this long run? (5 hours)?
  • I would like to rent a car and travel around Guatemala but am worried about safety. Any suggestions/comments? I have driven all over the Caribbean, other countries in Central America, Mexico, and Africa without incident. Thanks, Philippe
  • In guatemla the roads are not good and there is a LOT of traffic using them. Chicken buses with bits falling off hog the roads. Roads are also very windy, though scenic, and people simply drive too fast. Personally i would advise even sitting in the front seat for fear of death and instead stick to shuttle buses, I wouldnt consider driving at all. These can be difficult to organise unless yopur a very savvy experienced traveller, have lots of time on your hands and speak spanish. Best advice is to go on a preorganised trip , which you can still do independently but without all the worry and stress. Check out our Guatemalan tours which can even incorpoarte Belize and Mexico.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion