Traveling to Puerto Rico
  • I haven't been to Puerto Rico yet but I'm going this summer. Does anybody know if you need a passport if coming from the US? Oh and what can you bring back like food??
  • You do not need a passport if you are traveling to Puerto Rico you are a US citizen and carry a US passport. There are no travel restrictions on what you can back.
  • That`s right no passport.
    Concerning food you might just want to consider not taking anything back due to airport security but once upon a time you cold have not taken back a mango cause it has a pip.
    Therefore a banana or pineapple is good but please check with these crazy people in custom.
    They feel everybody is a terrorist and you might be carrying a bomb inside that pineapple.
    Sorry just a joke.
    Suggestion eat the pineapple on a hammock hanging to two palm trees in from of the beach.
  • My girlfriend is from Bulgaria and her visa here JUST expired. She's in the process of renewing it. She's been in the states for 4 years and has a valid drivers license. Will she have any problems in RE-ENTERING the US???
  • The weather reports shows that it rains daily in San Juan (currently). Is it like other places in the Carribean, where there are brief showers but usually sunny? Or does it rain all day long? I'm going in a month.
  • I ma visiting Puerto Rico at the end of the month, Can you use american money or do you have to change it
  • Do you need a passport to travel to Puerto Rico. I dont have one I just have a driving liscene. PS - I am American.
  • You dont need a passport..Yes we use american money...It dosnt rain all the time, when it does it dosnt last long...Yes you can bring back any food but be careful with the fruits, u cant because of the seed/pip...but other things like pasteles, puerto rican rum like Don Q...etc...
  • Correct: No need for a passport. Yes, you can use US dollars here.
    BTW English widely spoken.
    And go and try the unique Underwater Helmet Dive right in San Juan - Sea Trek San Juan, www.seatreksanjuan.com ...
  • I am a US green card holder and i have US TRAVIL DOCUMENT do i need visa to go to Puerto Rico? i am US army comtractor!!
  • No, you don't need the visa. Just travel with your green card, eventually your travel document (which you should not need anyway) and all is well.

Enjoy your trip!

www.seatreksanjuan.com
  • Hello. I am from the Philippines holding a B1/B2 visa valid for 10 years and multiple entry. I know it is valid for the 50 states of US but will this also be valid to enter Puerto Rico for a 5-day, 4-night vacation in San Juan? Please somebody reply at once. Thank you!
  • yes, it is valid for Puerto Rico, too. You can visit with your visa Puerto Rico, too.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Come and try the underwater helmet dive tour ;-)
    www.seatreksanjuan.com
  • I am resident allien in US with green card and valid drivers license, going to PR at the end of the month. With some new rules in effect, do I need an passport to travel to Puerto Rico? Or is my drivers license along with valid green card enought to get back to USA from Puerto Rico? Thnka you
  • If you are travelling from UK to Puerta Rico via Mexico do you need a visa (not doing anything in Mexico just changing planes or re-fuelling of something). IE - do you need a mexico visa just to pass thru their airport??
  • Hi,
    What type of Visa do I need if I'm entering Puerto Rico from Canada, possibly to work there on a permanent basis? Also, do I need a job offer before my Visa can be approved?
  • PAVLA....

and everyone else

I am in the same situation as the person u replied for before

I have a B1/B-2 Visa, it is not valid anymore

But i do have a Driver's License, According to your last comment, you can go to Puerto Rico without any problems.

I believe you but is there any way you could link me to a website or a phone number where i can confirm this.
  • I'm planning on traveling to Pueto Rico within the next 2 weeks - My family are US citizens, but don't have passports - They have vaild IDs, birth cert, etc.. The airlines informed me that no passport is needed to exit the US, but a passport will be needed to enter back into the US! Is this correct???

I need to make sure to avoid surprises in Puerto Rico. I also have 2 wks to purchase Passports if they are needed....so time is of an essence... Help?
  • Hi, I'm a greencard holder here in US and my kids and I are planning to go to Puerto Rico for 6 days vacation next month. I called Spirit airlines and also the Puerto Rico US Consulate: they both said all we have to bring are our drivers' licenses. Is this true? I really need to know because I have to book and confirm our flights
  • august 1-5
    what is the weather like in pr.does it rain or its nice to lay out and go in water
    can you go with a drivers license
  • Bernie, that airline representative is misinformed. You only need a driver's license or government issued id, like a state id to enter and exit PR. Just like going from NY to CA.

Also, if you are just having a lay over in X country outside the US to change planes or whatever, you do not need a visa. You only need a visa if you step out of the airport.

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTE: For international travelers, just follow the same rules you would if you were travelling to anywhere in the US. Same with US residents. US residents, please think of it as going to Hawaii. The only difference is that PR does not have a star in the US flag, well, and PRicans can't vote for the President IF living in PR, among a few other little things. :-)
  • Hi. My girlfriend is about to have a work permit in the U.S. so she can stay for another year. Her original visa expired. We want to visit Puerto Rico. Will she have any problems?

Also, her aunt wants to visit Puerto Rico when we go. She is from the country of Georgia and does not have a U.S. visa. Can she visit Puerto Rico without a U.S. visa? They want to be able to see each other because it has been a long time.

Thanks,

Fogie
  • I hold a Chinese passport and have valid US VISA. Do I need to apply Puerto Rico VISA in order to visit Puerto Rico for a week?
  • I have a US visa up until Dec 28, Ive been here since June this year, my stay is up until Dec. I'm planning to come to San Juan Puerto Rico,
    Can I come without problems and come back to Los Angeles since i have to leave from there to The Phils by December.
    Thank you
    Charity
  • HI THERE..

..... I AM MEXICAN AND I HAVE MY B1/B2 PERMIT VALID AND MY PASSPORT AND MY VISA, ALL VALID... I WANNA GO TO PUERTO RICO. I AM IN US TERRIORY VISIING MY FRIENDS AND SO I WANT TO GO TO PUERTO RICO, DO I NEED ANY OTHER PAPER OR PERMIT TO SHOW TO GO THERE ???
    ..... WHAT KIND OF DOCUMENTS DO I NEED TO SHOW TO GO THERE IF I AM INSIDE OF USA ALREADY ???
    .... MY FRIEND IS RESIDENT, CAN HE GO TO PTO RICO WITH ME , AND WHAT KIND OF DOCUMENTS DOES HE HAVE TO SHOW UP ???

THANKS FOR ANSWERING...

TITA
  • I have a green card but it expired in october will I be able to travel to Puerto Rico? With my Jamaican Passport and My American License?
  • hello everyone! i have some questions.i am thinking of going to puerto rico,do i need a passport? im a filipino nationality and i have a phil passport,im also a permanent resident here,what kind of papers do i needed to visit puerto rico? and also my friend is coming from UK does he need a visa for a stay,only for a 1-2 weeks,please i need help,thank you.
  • My husband (I am American) is a South African with a US green card. Does he need his South African passport to go to Puerto Rico this month?
  • Hey, i got a question: i have a valid US green Card, a valid State ID but my visa is expired. Can i go back to my country and come back after some time. I am from pakistan and planing a trip in september.
  • Hi, we are US citizens living in the state of New Mexico. With all the mess about using a New Mexico driver's license as official identification we are wondering if my husband will need a passport to travel to Puerto Rico for an upcoming convention.
  • some of my Indian clients are ship's crew and holding B1B2 US valid visa. They need visa to enter Puerto Rico ? Pl reply

Thanks/reg
  • Hi,
    I have armenian passport and I am in the US with B1/B2 visa which is alraedy expired. I have applied for change of my new nonimmigrant status. It is in the process. Please, someone give me information about if I can travel to Puerte Rico in some days.After traveling to Puerte Rico Do I need to apply for another visa to enter US?
    Thank you
  • Hi,

I'm an asylee living in the U.S. With a valid driver's permit. But I lost my original passport with the visa in it. Will I be able to travel to PR with my ID? Or i still need my passport?
  • guysssss pls check www.toppuertorico.com , and u will find the PR tourism office , call them and find out before u book ticket / hotels .
    i did called them twice and make sure , i am NYC residents and i can travel to PR only with valid id/ driver lisence , she said is gonna be the same as u travel to any other state in us such : las vegas , san fransisco , etc .
    i hope this can be help :)
  • hi I am Pakistani National and working in Haiti , I have valid 5 years B1/B2 visa with multiple entry. , do i need a separate VISA for Puerto Rico for a 5-day, 4-night vacation in San Juan?

any site which can get the confirmation as i have to show the American Airlines at the time boarding bcz they some time don't know the rules . i will appreciate .

. Thank you!
  • did you have custum when you come back from Puerto Rico
  • Hey I'm planning on going to Puerto Rico in the next couple of weeks. I currently live in NYC unfortunately I am not a us citizen. I have my passport from my country, Dominican Republic but it has no visa can I use it to go and come back from Puerto Rico with no problem? It also came with the passport card that shows where in NYC I live. Please respond ASAP
  • If you are over 18 and live permanently in the United States then you will have been issued a green card ( 1-551 Permanent Residence Card) which you are required to carry at all times. This proves you are a resident in the USA and you can travel freely.

As as a student or a resident in any other capacity then you should have documentary evidence of this, not just a stamp in your passport.

So, if you have no green card or other documentary evidence you may have difficulty in re entering the USA

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion