Train from Cape Town to Johannesburg
  • Hi - I have a holiday booked for South Africa, flying into Cape Town spending a few days there and around, and flying out of Johannesburg after hopefully going on safari. I am looking a flight tickets, which are not too expensive, but I thought it would be nicer to take the train from Cape Town to Johannesburg. Is this a good idea - is the train a better way to view the country - can one stop off en-route and see things. Can you give me advice please - what does the train ticket cost, how long is the journey, is it safe? Are there different classes of travel - sleepers?? We are leaving in December, so please answer soon if you can as I would like to buy tickets. L.
  • I have never done this - almost everyone flies between Cape Town and Johannesburg, flights go at least every hour and you can book online cheaply - try Kulula or SAA. Train journey does sound a great option, but I think you need to be careful about safety unless you are on one of the luxury trains to Johannesburg such as Rovos Rail or the Blue Train - have a look at their web sites, no doubt they have details of train times, journeys, sleepers and so on. Sorry I cannot give you better advice.
  • There is a twice weekly "Premier Class" train service between Cape Town and Joburg - and although slow (28 hours) it is great way to see the countryside while sitting back and relaxing. You can travel first class, in your own sleeper cabin (4 people), for around R1500 per person. There is a bar and restaurant on board. The train is well guarded and you are quite safe - probably at your very safest during your South African visit!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion