Burma/Myanmar safe for tourists?
  • How safe is Burma/Myanmar for tourists. I have my visa for Burma, but have just read that there is an election soon. Will it still be safe to travel there as a tourist? I like taking photographs, will they suspect that I'm a journalist? I want to go to Rangoon/Yangon and the coastal areas. Is the Junta going to cause trouble during the election and will there be riots?

How safe is it in general, should I rather wait until after the elections?
  • Burma is safe for tourists, in fact far safer than just about any other Asian destination apart from Bhutan. Use your camera as much as you like - but no snapping of government personnel or buildings. The election is not a great time to visit though, as people are likely to be on their edge. Best postpone for afterwards in my view.
  • I think you're right, I've spoken to some of my friends in Thailand and they say the same. Thanks for your help.
  • Has anyone been to Burma / Myanmar recently? I would love to get some feedback on the vibe in the country, how safe, and enjoyable the visit was... Also with the release of Aung San Su Ki I wonder if anything noticeable has changed in the country ..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion