Is Brazil safe for tourists?
  • Are the cities in Brazil safe? I've heard a lot about violent crime in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paolo. Is it safe for tourists to walk around during the day? What about at night... is it dangerous?
  • Meegs,

I don’t know how to answer your question. I live in Rio, have live all my life, and this city is always packed with tourists. As long as you don’t adventure in any rough neighborhoods, there shouldn’t be any danger. I have met a handful of tourists from everywhere and they always seem to love it here.

There have been cases of robbery, but it is really not as common and the media preaches. Bear in mind, though, that this is not Canada, where you can leave you wallet in a park bench and come find it on the same spot 8 hours later. Certain safety measures should be taken.

I don’t know São Paulo too well, but I believe the same applies to there.
  • Meegs,

I don’t know how to answer your question. I live in Rio, have live all my life, and this city is always packed with tourists. As long as you don’t adventure in any rough neighborhoods, there shouldn’t be any danger. I have met a handful of tourists from everywhere and they always seem to love it here.

There have been cases of robbery, but it is really not as common and the media preaches. Bear in mind, though, that this is not Canada, where you can leave you wallet in a park bench and come find it on the same spot 8 hours later. Certain safety measures should be taken.

I don’t know São Paulo too well, but I believe the same applies to there.
  • In my opinion Brazil is one of the safest destination for a tourist. But one should always keep in mind that there are bad neighborhoods in every country so are in Brazil too. If you stay away from them you can avoid many problems. So don’t target any specific city, just stay cautious and alert wherever you are.
  • I recently travelled to Brazil and stayed in Rio over the carnival period. Naturally there were lots of tourists due to the festival but still i found the city to be very safe. You do obviously have to be sensible and not flash your money everywhere or have a big expensive camera around your neck. This goes for many cities! I later returned after the carnival period and still found the city to be safe. The beaches were quiet during the day and in the evening the streets were also quiet so I wouldn’t walk around that much on my own at night. Generally i found Brazil to be a safe country and one of my favourites that I have visited.
  • I have been living for several years in Salvador - Bahia now
    never had real trouble (knock knock knock) but there are some easy ways to prevent criminality (being as discrete as possible is the main rule, do not attract any attention !) I think there is criminality all over the world and extremes are possibles anywhere sick maniacs get armed ...
    people wanting more info on Salvador, Bahia ... do not hesitate to contact me
    greetz from the tropIX
  • i was a back packer for 30 years ago. have travelled a lot since that, too. my next will be rio de janeiro. please give me some guiding how to not be a victim!
  • marja:
    1. Don´t dress up. Stay casual.
    2. Do not wear jewels, not even fake jewels. = same risk
    3. Do only walk in streets with lots of people in the darknes.
    4. Listen first with people if and when You got some ideas to go away from 'zona zul'.
    5. Avoid 'centro' in sundays.
    6. Avoid to walk at the beach in the darknes or if its empty of people.
    7. Use the subway. It´s nice and safe.
    8. Use the buses when You can take a position close to the driver and the conductor. Not else.
    9. Do only use the real and cheaper taxis with taxameter.

That was my own rules in Rio de Janeiro and I was there for 3 months after the 'new year' 2010. I was there as a single man and I toke part of all the best and nice things I could do whithout any kind of trouble. My best period in my life I think.
    Regards
    Bosse from Stockholm
  • I also worried guys!
    I also want to know that Brazil are safe for me or my family because i move to Brazil next month....  
  • i think, now Brazil is not save for travel. Because no more than 1 month passed last protests. Unrest people can generate tension any time again. so i did not recommend you to visit Brazil in this year.
  • Hm, well....i have/had some plans to go in Brazil during the World cup but i'm not sure anymore....i've spent some time to read about some cities and generally i don't like what i read...
    Is it true that mass riot is about during this days??
    Any suggestion is welcomed...
  • Well If you go be careful dont wear flashy things and expensive jewelry's with you.
  • hi. I'm an 18 year old girl and i was planning on going to chapeco for a month and a half for an exchange program. so can anyone help me out about the dos and donts and if its a safe place to go to? thank you.
  • Hi aditij29,
    Although it always pays to be careful in a foreign country and do some research on crime and safety etc, I can tell you that by Brazilian standards Chapeco is said to be pretty safe. It is in the state of Santa Catarina which is one of the most affluent and safe region's in the country. The capital, Florianopolis is popular with European tourists, and there are quite a lot of expats in the state. So while I don't know much about Chapeco itself, I can tell you the region is pretty safe. Good luck!
  • You have probably seen that in Movies. Brazil is completely safe for tourists.
    There are some areas with thugs and criminals, but tourist areas are far away from it.. travel there with a cool mind as it is not even under terrorist influence. I agree with with amazingmen, don't be flashy in any way. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion