When is the best time to go to New Zealand
  • Hi. When is the best time to go to New Zealand? I am planning to be in Australia in March for a month, would it be best to go to New Zealand in February or April. What is the best time to go there weather wise?
  • If you like warmer weather, longer day-light, day temp. 25C to 30C go February.
    April cool mornings and nights, day temp. 20C to 25C, mainly fine day's, less tourist (cheaper accommodation).
    Good luck.
  • It depends on what you want to do.

Either month is good, but if you're into swimming and used to warmer waters then it needs to be February. (The above poster is right about temperatures etc.) We have no guarantees on weather. It can pour buckets in February, as well as in April, or it can be fine and settled, either month. (March, however, is nearly always a lovely month itself!) We don't have a particular dry or wet season, that holds true! We also don't have a season where things close down. You can tour any time of the year and find all amenities operating, although some places will have limited hours of opening in full on Winter. (June, July, Aug).

Late April is stunning in the South Island towns of Arrowtown and Queenstown, and I often suggest to people travelling at that time, to start at the bottom of the South and work Northwards, as there are marked differences in temperature (but not necessarily rainfall)... if they're a bit averse to cooler temperatures.... but unless you're from a very hot climate that's likely not an issue.

Kids are back at school in early February, but the universities don't go back until March. So, if you're young you may find more fun to be had in February, with younger people... whereas more mature travellers might prefer April.

No matter when you come... our beautiful scenery, our reknown hospitality, and everything travellers could want to do, will be waiting for you.
  • Very interested in an extended visit (4-6 weeks) to NZ (both islands) in Feb-May 2012 and are planning on locating (probably through VRBO) a place on each islands for approximately 3 weeks each. We are at the early stages of planning this. Several questions:

1. Best way to get around each island? What is the state of public trans? Are car rentals financially within reason (recently retired educators couple).
    2. Suggestions for "don't miss" events, sites, etc?

Thanks. Brent
  • February is long and sunny day in New Zealand and in April cool and beautiful night.its depend on you which season like.
  • I agree with james5! It totally
    depends on you; which season you like; but according to my opinion; summer
    season is the best time to go to New Zealand. Here I am going to share a link
    that has great Information about New Zealand Weather Overview. I hope it will
    be helpful for you to choose the best time according to your destination and
    weather taste

https://www.niwa.co.nz/education-and-training/schools/resources/climate/overview

• Due to its mild climate, tourists visit New Zealand all year around.
    Weather is unpredictable at times that even in summer the days would be
    cool and wet. But rainfall over the winter is a little wetter than the
    rest of the year.

• You can visit New Zealand at the time of middle April and May each year.
  • New Zealand is beautiful no matter what time of the
    year or season you visit. The best time to visit New Zealand is the time that
    suits you best. However if you have more than one date in mind, for that I tell
    you, the busiest season for tourism in New Zealand is during the Summer School
    holiday period which runs from mid-December through until the end of January.
    The main cities usually have vacancy during the busy season. However, in the
    popular holiday tourist towns of Nelson, Wanaka, Taupo, Mount Maunganui and
    Queenstown, accommodation can be difficult to find unless booked well in
    advance.

• I think best time to go New Zealand is Feburary to April. Other than that in Springs (Sep, Oct and Nov ) countryside is filled with  green grass.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged