Is it safe to travel to Qatar as a woman?
  • Are women travellers safe in Qatar? I am worried about some of the harassment that happens in places like Libya and Egypt, and was wondering what the attitudes are to solo women travellers in Qatar?

Are there are any other safety issues we should know about when travelling there.

For the record we do not walk about in bikinis like some people who then complain about harassment!
  • Hi Rich-

I'm sure you'll be surprised to learn that an estimated 85% of Qatar's population is actually made up of expats. As a result the local Qatari population has had to learn to adjust to many Western ways and frequently seeing solo females is one of them. That being said, it's important to respect the culture - and as you say "not walk around in bikinis".
    For more information about what to expect have a look at the Expat Arrivals Culture Shock in Qatar page.
    Doha is relatively safe, but do take the normal precautions that you would when travelling by yourself.
  • Qatar is nothing like the countries around it and the other arab countries.
    Qatar has amazed the world of what is't capable of and how friendly and safe it has been since.
    i have meet so many westerns in Qatar that are not even wanting to leave the country because of it's people and atmosphere.

so going to Qatar would be a step forward of seeing a new place in the world
  • My daughter has been asked by her father to travel to Qatar to visit him if he takes a position with work. I am very worried not only about her safety while there but also how it will be for her traveling alone to meet him. She is in her early twenties, and I fear greatly for her safety as a young American woman. Can anyone help with some advice?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged