Two days in Cairo - what to do?
  • I have a two day layover in Cairo between the States and South Africa in January, can anyone recommend places for me to visit and the best markets to shop at. My hotel is covered by Egypt Air so I'm not sure where I will be staying but I would like to see a bit of Cairo during my two day layover. Does anyone have some recommendations for me for while I'm there.
    What would you do if you had two days in Cairo?
  • sal123 - only 2 days?? I could fill up 2 months and then some! Absolute musts are the pyramids and the sphinx. Take in the laser light show at the pyramids, very kitchy but very enjoyable. Go to Khan el Khalili souq but bargain hard. Have a coffee at the eons old Al Fishawi coffee shop in the middle of the souq and watch the passing parade. Take a felouqa on the Nile and enjoy some peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle. The Egyptian museum is a must, so much to see there (that can take hours if you want). Walk around the old city and visit the vast Mosque which is beautiful. If you want to see everything in good time then I suggest you take a guide for your 2 days. Will save you time and hassle. If you want more ideas then I can give you more and I'm sure others will contribute.

Hope you enjoy it
  • Thanks so much for the advice Lesley. I wish it was longer than 2 days - but it's just a stop over between the States and South Africa. Perhaps it'll be a taste of more to come :)
  • Hi Lesley,

Just a quick question... Egypt Air has a tour service called Karnak. (http://karnak.egyptair.com/en/packages-packages/package_cat/1) Are they any good? They offer quick tours around Cairo for people with stopovers.
    Also if you're in the city for two day stopover what type of budget do you think one would need - Just for general touristy stuff and maybe a couple of markets - nothing to break the bank or anything.
  • Hi Sally - I don't know personally of this tour company, however, I would think that given it is connected to Egyptair it should be quite professional and you would get to see all the major sites around Cairo. I'm the worst person in the world to mention the word 'budget' to LOL!! You can eat very cheaply in Cairo and the tour company may provide lunches? Obviously all the tourist sites should be included in the tour costs so you shouldn't need a heap of money. Why not budget for around USD30-40 per day but this of course depends on what you want to buy. This would be a minimum

I hope you enjoy your stay in Cairo it's an amazing city!!
  • Hi Lesley,
    Thanks for your advice. I'll report back soon :)
  • Hi!

Two days in Cairo - I would start by going to the infamous Pyramids of Giza. Touristy but well worth a visit! Then perhaps head to the Khan Khalili market, which is one of Cairo's renowned markets.....so you can shop to your heart;s content! The final thing I would do is visit the Egyptian Museum, which has a number of famous relics, including the treasure from Tutankhamun's tomb.

You should be able to fit all of that in in the time you have.

Have a great time!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion