Spanish holiday resorts
  • I've never been to Spain before, but I've heard a lot about the Spanish holiday resorts. I know that they're really popular for British tourists, as well as Germans and Scandinavians. I'm considering a trip to Spain, and I'll be visiting some of the bigger cities and other places of interest in Spain, but I don't know where to start when it comes to choosing which resort(s) to go to.
    Can anyone give me advice about Spanish holiday resorts.
    I don't want to go to a place like Benidorm. I'm vaguely interested in the Canary Islands but I'd prefer to avoid the places that are overrun with boozey Brits.
    If anyone has first-hand experience of a number of holiday resorts in Spain then please post a few reviews and recommendations here to help me narrow down my options.
    Let me know about the resort, the beach quality, the types of nightlife, shopping and places of interest/attractions in and around the resort town. Also, if you could generalise and tell me what type of tourists tend to frequent each resort town that would be brilliant.
  • Try Nerja, Up the coast from Malaga!! We've been three times now, and although there is a certain british element, it is neither boozy or tacky.......yet!!! Lovely beaches and lots of lovely cobbled steets with boutique type shops and various tapas restaurants, amongst other cuisines.
  • You need to avoid places like Torremolinos and Fuengirola as these are very boozy Brit places! I would say a lot of the Canary Islands are if you go to the main resorts too, so you need to go off the beaten track a bit if this is what you prefer.

If you want to go to a coastal resort then Estepona is quite nice and still Spanishy, which is just along from San Pedro which is also a lovely town which is next to Puerta Banus/Marbella, which is good if you like to watch the rich and famous and their boats, but can be very expensive!

If you hire a car from these places, you can easily get to other lovely cities to visit including Seville, Granada, Cordoba and Ronda.

You would be best off flying to Malaga for all these towns and they do good deals from most UK airports with lots of carriers going there.
  • Hi Annemarie,

Thanks for your question and thanks to Dee and Lorna for your suggestions. We're currently updating the Spain guide on the wordtravels site and we'll have a look at some of the resorts you have suggested and try to include them in the guide either under attractions in Spain or as full resorts that you can search for using the search bar on the Wordtravels Homepage.

Annemarie, when do you plan to go to Spain, as the time of year is pretty important when judging which resorts will be suitable. Many of the really popular Spanish resorts are packed during the British summer holidays but they can actually be really pleasant during off season times.
  • Hi Annemarie!
    I've been to Spain before on holiday. I was in Marbella. Holiday in Marbella - www.holidaymarbella.info is something wonderful. Marbella is beautiful holiday destination in Spain, on the Costa del Sol.
  • Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your comments and suggestions. You've given me a lot to think about and research. Lorna and Dee your suggestions look great with the off the beaten track Spanish beach resorts. Sally, it's good to know that Wordtravels watches the forum and listens to the suggestions - I look forward to seeing the updated guide to Spain. Dimitrova, thanks for the website link, can you tell me more about Marbella because I've looked at the Wordtravels Marbella guide and it seems that that resort town is quite pricey and popular. Do you have any suggestions of places that are a little quieter and less of a tourist hotspot?

Thanks again everyone, I look forward to the more suggestions and comments. At the moment I'm leaning toward Nerja...but we'll see.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion