Safety in Tunisia for tourists
  • hi lesley i need some advice am going on holiday to tunisia.
    i got your add from travelforum
    these are the questions and concerns i have

*can u trust the safety boxes in hotels would it be better to carry my passport and cash with me all the time?

*am getting married soon and going on holiday to tunisia (skanes) and my wife and my name will not be changed in the passport as we won't have enough time to send them away to get changed when we get married and i hear its a problem to stay in a hotel if your not married?

*am going on the second week of january 2010 whats the weather like there

*are there quite alot cliffs nearby from in or from skanes to do cliff diving?

*am really concerned about my wife to be's safety i hear guys r really pushy even if there with a partner i dont wona get into a fight or anything

thank u so much lesley i tried asking for help on the website i signed up but couldnt figure out how to get in touch with you through there
    have a great day
  • Hi! I got your email and replied to it but unfortunately each time I sent it bounced back. So I posted it here under the thread - Safety for women in Tunisia. Check with that thread and let me know if you see it.

Lesley

Don't worry - I just found my post and cut and pasted it here below for you
  • Mabrouk (congratulations) and welcome soon to Tunisia. This is a wonderful country and I am sure you and your new wife are going to enjoy it very much. I have answered your questions below in red. If there is anything else you want to know just email me and I’ll be happy to answer as best I can.

Enjoy your time here,

Lesley

hi lesley i need some advice am going on holiday to tunisia. i got your add from travelforum these are the questions and concerns i have

*can u trust the safety boxes in hotels would it be better to carry my passport and cash with me all the time?

Yes – you can trust the safety boxes but you should carry your passport at all times. It is mandatory to have ID but if you have an ID card that would be ok.

*am getting married soon and going on holiday to tunisia (skanes) and my wife and my name will not be changed in the passport as we won't have enough time to send them away to get changed when we get married and i hear its a problem to stay in a hotel if your not married?

No – not a problem. Tourists rarely get asked if they are married, but if you want to make sure then bring your marriage certificate with you. Skanes is a very touristique area and you will not encounter any problems

*am going on the second week of january 2010 whats the weather like there

To us the weather is very, very cold but the temperatures are not as they are in Europe, however, you will need warm clothes especially for the nights when the temperatures are really cold

*are there quite alot cliffs nearby from in or from skanes to do cliff diving? I am not sure you can do cliff diving here.

Does that mean diving into the water? If so, I think that would not be advisable here, but I am sure the hotel will be able to advise you. The water is getting quite cold now so not many people are venturing in!

*am really concerned about my wife to be's safety i hear guys r really pushy even if there with a partner i dont wona get into a fight or anything

Yes, the men here can be pushy but it’s nothing to be overly concerned about. Your wife will be very, very safe! Treat everything with a good dose of humour and all will be well. The men will look – the women too, but that is a national pastime here. Everyone looks at everyone else. They will not talk to your wife, or approach her or anything else when she is with you.

thank u so much lesley i tried asking for help on the website i signed up but couldnt figure out how to get in touch with you through there
    have a great day

Hope that you have a wonderful time - once you have visited 'my' tunisia you will want to come back.

Lesley
  • Hello,we are planning to visit Port El Kantaoui in June .Are there astronomy visits to the desert at night?
  • Hi Martin,

I've never heard of these but it sounds quite interesting. You could try googling your enquiry and see what comes up. Sorry I can't be of more assistance
  • hi there , me my partner and four children are going to skanes in tunisia on the 14 th july this year , will it be safe enough for the kids and how hot does it really get ??

Thankyou

Kirsty
  • Hi Kirstyandy - yes, it is very safe............Tunisia is a very safe country and you should not be concerned about this. your children will have a blast, I promise you. In July it can be very hot - but you know that everyday you will wake up to blue sky, sunshine, and can swim. Temperatures can vary but look at low to high 30c for most of the time.
  • Instead of carrying your passport is it ok to carry photo copy instead
  • Jay - you need to carry your passport here or if you have carte d'identitie then that is ok. Photo copy is not acceptable to the police.
  • hi there i recently booked a holiday for me and my girlfreind we are both 18 and just looking for a relaxing holiday in skanes tuinisa in may. Just wondering if its safe for us both and if theres anything we should worry about?
  • Hi I will be travelling to skanes in June, can u let me know what injections r needed for an adult & children

Many Thanks

Donna
  • Donz10 - you do not need any injections for Tunisia
  • LESLEY I AM A FEMALE THAT WILL BE TRAVELING ALONE TO TUNISIA...I WANT TO KNOW HOW SAFE IT IS....I WILL BE MEETIN A FRIEND THERE THAT IS FROM THERE....BUT I NEED TO KNOW HOW SAFE IT IS!
  • Hi Lesley.
    I'm English and live in England, but my boyfriend is Tunisian and lives in Tunisia. In August me and my family are going to Tunisia for 3 weeks and in them 3 weeks i am going to be staying at his house with him and his family. I was wondering if you could give me advice on what to wear and anything else that would be important to know, as i don't want to make a bad impression when i meet his friends and family for the first time.
    Sorry if it doesn't make a lot of sense or sounds a bit silly.
    Thanks a lot.
    Nicole
  • I AM WITH YOU NICOLE....I DONT KNOW WHAT TO WEAR EITHER WHEN MEETING HIS FAMILY FOR THE FIRST TIME!
  • g2011 - when are you going to Tunisia? Right now it is very unsettled due to our 'Jasmine Revolution'. Politically it is unstable and there are still protests and some problems, so my advice is not to travel around by yourself. As long as you are with others it will be fine. I am presuming that your friend is a male? Let me know where you intend to travel and where you will stay and I can give you more information. Please feel free to email me as below
  • Hi Nicole - August is very hot in Tunisia and it is also Ramadan! This can be a trying time for us as it is hot and we can't eat/drink/smoke etc during the daylight hours. You should dress modestly, this will show respect to your boyfriend and his family especially if you are staying with them. As it is hot you should wear long, loose tops and pants and/or long skirts. The shirt should come to your elbow and should not show any cleavage. Make sure they are not see through or wear a cami underneath. You definitely should not wear mini skirts or boob tubes!!! If you dress appropriately you will have a wonderful time with his family and you will all enjoy your trip. If you want more information then I'm happy for you to email me as below
  • Thanks Lesley :)
    Looks like i need to go shopping hahaha
    I'll be sure to ask you anything else when i think of it
    Nicole.
  • Lesley I emailed you I don't know if it went through but yes it is a male friend....and I will be staying with him and his family in Tunisia Carthage
  • g2011 - I got your email - I will send reply asap
  • Hi lesley i am due to travel to tunisia staying in the rui marco polo hotel on the 3rd of april! do you think it will still be safe to stay there if we stay in the hotel and dont wander the streets day/night? thanks!
  • jordy - in which city is your hotel? There are quite a few Marco Polo hotels here. My guess is that it will be in one of the coastal resorts? It is very quiet and peaceful now here. There are no more potests as we have almost achieved our goals. the elections will take place July 24 and there may be some protests around that time but in April you will be fine. It is safe so don't worry about that!! You can wander around, it is not a problem and you should definitely get out of the hotel to have a look around at this beautiful country, everyone will help you and will be so happy to see tourists, believe me. Also it is safe at night, we don't have a curfew any more and many will be out and about at the cafes and restaurants. And the food is great so you should get out!!!

I hope you will enjoy your time here
  • thank u very much for getting back to me lesley! The hotel is in hammamet yasmine! The hotel looks lovely and ive been reading lots of reviews about people visiting it pre and post protests and the majority are very positive but i just wanted to double check if i will still be safe out there as i am only 23 and my boyfriend who i am going with is 25! Also will the weather be hot enough to sunbathe and get a nice tan? haha thanks very much!
  • Hi Jordy - ok, so April is not hot here sorry!! But you can probably can still get a tan as it will be sunny. You will be safe especially in Hammamet Yasmine - it's a touristique area and has good security, don't worry just come and enjoy yourselves
  • LESLEY I WAS WONDERING IF YOU EVER GOT TO EMAIL ME BACK....I HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANYTHING FROM YOU....YOU CAN REACH ME AT gege2009445@yahoo.com thank you!!
  • Hi Lesley,
    I want to travel to Tunisia with my algerian boyfriend in april 2011, im from london and he will be travelling from Algeria.
    Do you think it is safe for the both of us? Also what are the rules there abou tsharing rooms etc.....
  • anissa - It is safe here now - certainly 100% safer than Algeria!! Don't worry about your safety, you will both be fine. I don't think it will be possible for you to share room. As he is Algerian and travelling on Algerian passport he will be treated the same as a Tunisian man with a foreign partner. It is not allowed here, unless you are married and can produce the marriage certificate. However, there are some hotels that turn a blind eye and this depends on where you will be staying. Some of the coastal resorts are more liberal than others.
  • Hi, me, my boyfriend and my 18 month old son are due to travel to Tunisia in 2 weeks and i'm just wondering how safe it is given all the recent chaos, were holidaying in sousse, im also anxious about how the Tunisian people are, especially the men i'm only 20 but i work as a model, i'm very tall and have bright blonde hair, the men in Egypt were a little pushy when i went last year are Tunisian's the same?
  • Aimii - you will all be fine. It is safe and calm here now and Sousse is a very touristique area with good security so you should not encounter any difficulties. Tunisians are used to tall, blonde tourists believe me. If you are accompanied by your b/f then a Tunisian man will not approach you or hassle you in any way.
  • Hi, I will shortly be visiting Tunisia on my own, and will be staying in Sousse. I am an avid photographer and want to spend alot of time in the old Medina taking loads of photos.
    I have a very large Digital SLR camera, which whilst insured, i would hate to loose.
    (whilst travelling South Africa with a friend we got mugged)
    From what I have found so far - the Medina is very safe, but would you say it is fairly safe for me to walk around on my own with a large camera?
    If I wanted to get some night shots - would it be safer at night, or early in the morning? Or neither?

Thank you for any help.

Ben
  • Hi Ben and welcome to Tunis. Sousse is a very touristique area and is now quite calm and quiet, however, like anywhere else you should exercise a certain amount of caution in regard to your personal belongings. Many people here are in bad situation and circumstances and sometimes temptation is too much. But, the medina is safe and has much security and of course everyone in sousse is used to foreigners. I think in the early evening will be fine and early morning but make sure there are people about and if you can perhaps befriend some others, maybe in the hotel and go around with them in the night if you want. I am quite sure you and your camera will be safe and that you will have a great vacation with us.
  • Hi i am going to tunisia later this month we are going to skanes what is the weather like this time of the year?
  • songest2007 - the weather is starting to become warmer, it will be mild to warm during the day in Skanes but the nights are still cool and you will need a pullover or jacket to keep out the chill.

I hope you will enjoy your vacation with us
  • Thanks looking forward to it a bit worried about the hotel we staying in as read some bad bad reviews
  • Hi there we have just booked to stay at the sahara beach hotel in skanes on 27th july, my husband thinks im being ridiculus but im soo worried as everyone who i tell that we are off to tunisia says we must be mad going anywhere near an arab country with all the upset at the moment!..now im soo worried that us and our children wont be safe out there and have wasted a lot of money, do you think we should of booked to go else where?

Many Thanks :0)
  • Mikey - you should be more worried about the heat in July than any problems believe me!! Tunisia is calm and peaceful. Our revolution has been and gone and our elections will be on 24 July. Yes we are an Arab country but we are also a North African country. there is no upset here, it is safe probably safer than where you live right now!! You and your children will be safe and happy and you will I am sure enjoy your vacation here with us very much. Remember to bring lots of sunscreen though.
  • Thankyou so much for replying, you have made me feel a lot better!.....so the elections may cause more protesting? but shouldnt effect us, right?
    30 degrees...wow, will certainly need lots of sunscreen!

:0)
  • we are acutually flying out july 24th not July 27th!
  • Hi Lesley,

Me and my friend are thinking of visiting Tunisia in September. We are both female, will we be safe?

Which resort should we pick to stay in? which is the safest?

Also could you tell me what the weather will like in September?

Many Thanks
  • Sarah - you will both be safe. Please keep in mind that part of September we will have Ramadan which ends around 11 September so you might want to come after that. It depends what you want to do as to which city you should stay in. If you want to see some of Tunisian life then perhaps you can try Sousse or Hammamet or even Nabeul which is my personal favourite. If you want a more quiet area then perhaps you should try Port el Kantaoui which has a lot of foreigners. I am unable to refer or suggest actual resorts to you. Also be aware that our star rating of hotels is very different to that in Europe. For example a 3* here is more like a 2* in reality. The old saying is true here - you get what you pay for
  • Mikey - yes, I am sure there will be protests and gatherings and mutterings about the candidates, the voting etc. but it will be safe so you shouldn't worry. You will find the temperatures can be more than 30c and in skanes can get a lot hotter. It's wise to stay indoors during the hottest part of the day but if you need to be outside make sure you take a lot of water with you.
  • Thanks Lesley, also if we wanted to go on a desert trek, would we be too far away if we were to stay somewhere like Sousse?
  • Thankyou so much Lesley for you comments, u really have made me feel alot less anxious.....X
  • Sarah - everywhere here is a long way from the desert, however, there are many companies that will collect you and take you to the desert for between 1 and 3 nights. There are many travel agents in sousse that can assist and many of the hotels can even organise this for you.
  • Hi there i am thinking of booking for tunisia in october. 2 adults a 17 year old girl and a 15 year old boy. I am a bit apprehensive with all the trouble thats been happening. Can you tell me if it will be ok to travel then. Thanks
  • mar - I have replied to and written quite a few posts on this subject. Tunisia is very calm and peaceful now. Tourists and foreigners would not even know that we had a revolution!! We had trouble for only a few weeks and it has finished!! Yes, there is a problem in Libya but this is not Libya. Our ex-president fled the country unlike a lot of the others so the major problem fled leaving us with freedom. Our elections are at the end of July and by October we will have stable government, the path to total democracy and peace and happiness.

So please come and we wait to welcome you
  • Thank you for ur comment Lesley, i think i will def b booking now :)
  • HI ME MY WIFE AND 2 GIRLS ARE GOING TO SKANES TUNISIA ON THE 5TH JUNE,STAYING AT CARIBBEAN WORLD.SEEN SOME BAD REVIEWS ABOUT THE HOTEL,HAS ANYONE BEEN.WHATS THE WEATHER LIKE IN JUNE.ALSO IS IT EXPENSIVE FOR FOOD,DRINK ETC
  • I am travelling to Djerba on Sat 14th May, will it be warmer than Spain and also can I get currency before I arrive or is available from Djerba Airport?

thank you
  • Geordie - many of our hotels get bad reviews simply because people expect more than we can provide. Our star system rating is different to Europe. I can't comment on the hotel but it is quite popular. Our prices are going up since the revolution (normal) but you will still find it much cheaper than you are used to. but if you are buying alcohol then that is expensive here. Skanes will be very, very hot in June it is summer here at that time so make sure you have sunscreen and drink plenty of water.
  • Zoe - Djerba is an island off our east coast and as such is not as hot as inland. But the temperatures can get quite high. right now we are in the low to mid 20c but as I don't know where in Spain you are I can't tell you if it is hotter. Our currency is a closed currency meaning that it can't be bought or exchanged outside the country. You will find exchange booths/banks at the airport on your arrival.

Hope you have a great stay.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged