Anyone used www.couchsurfing.com?
  • I have come across a new website www.couchsurfing.com that combines a social networking site with an accommodation finder. There is no charge involved, people seem to offer their bed/couch/sleeper on the basis of someone's profile and the prospect of meeting someone new. Sounds a bit crazy to me, but also very appealing. Has anyone tried it and have any stories to share?
  • I found an amazing site called http://www.airbnb.com Its like a combination of the "staying at a friends place" vibe that couchsurfing offers, and the privacy of your own serviced room like a regular hotel. I have booked 4 nights in NY right on Central park for $50 p night, instead $150 in a normal hotel. Of course, the room is gonna be small but hey it s worth it.

I found Couchsurfing to be a real pain in the ass. Sure the bed or couch is free, but you have to dance through so many hoops to get there its just not worth it. And you're taking a big chance with what you end up with. I would say couchsurfing is for backpackers only.
  • i agree with smokeyj. the couchsurfing community is nt design for free accomodation. its for hardcore, low budget trvellers/backpackers who wish to integrate.w the locals. the host receives testimonials from other couchsurfers and based on this, u cn judge the host's personality. yes, it takes a lot.of.time going w all the profile-reading bt as a couchsurfer, i never will turn back and be a tourist. alternatively u cn just do a meet up.w the locals or checkout parties or events they r org. most csers love to give free tours too... :-)
  • I also feel that couch surfing is generally best for low budget travelers and the people who want to be involved in the local people. Couch surfing does not fit to the personality of every traveler.
  • I have a house next door that is hosting couchsurfers and they are a pain in the ass. They show up all times of night and are loud and rude, the other night there were 10 cars from 10 different states. They are trashing the home and they have dirity animals that stink. I want them gone.
  • People you meet on CouchSurfing don't have a character. It's taken over by the collection of rules put forth by the Irish milf Casey Fanton =)
  • What are some of the Couchsurfing rules you mention?
  • I should also say that I have used Air BnB twice now and it is really excellent. You get the benefit of staying in people's houses, like Couchsurfing, but the rooms are rated and reviewed so you know what's good. In big cities where cheap hotel rooms start at $100, Air BnB has big clean rooms with bathroom for $40.
  • mmm...collection of rules...

Like for example, "CouchSurfing is not a dating site" although I have known couch surfers who got married ;).

In fact, this isn't the most disgusting thing in it. The most disgusting thing is the "reference chain" created by the Irish milf Casey Fenton, that each couch surfer keeps in the back of her/his head while interacting with another couch surfer.

So when you meet up with a couch surfer, you meet up with a "profile", no character, no personality, just false and fabricated behavior that lasts only throughout the meeting. Therefore, it's better if you stop a cow on the road on your travel than to meet up with a couch surfer.

What the other follower of this thread said that "CouchSurfing is for hardcore, low budget traveler" is absolutely correct. Many on CouchSurfing trade a bang for a couch, and many couch surfers have admitted that to me.

Not only that, CouchSurfing has destroyed the future of many many youngsters all around the globe, made them drop out of their studies, and follow the no-where travel.

If you have low budget and can't afford travel, then don't enlarge the loser you're by traveling and couch surfing. Sit instead, develop yourself, and do something about it.

But that's how a loser Casey Fenton started out his life, and that's how he wants the world to be!
  • mmm...collection of rules...

Like for example, "CouchSurfing is not a dating site" although I have known couch surfers who got married ;).

In fact, this isn't the most disgusting thing in it. The most disgusting thing is the "reference chain" created by the Irish milf Casey Fenton, that each couch surfer keeps in the back of her/his head while interacting with another couch surfer.

So when you meet up with a couch surfer, you meet up with a "profile", no character, no personality, just false and fabricated behavior that lasts only throughout the meeting. Therefore, it's better if you stop a cow on the road on your travel than to meet up with a couch surfer.

What the other follower of this thread said that "CouchSurfing is for hardcore, low budget traveler" is absolutely correct. Many on CouchSurfing trade a bang for a couch, and many couch surfers have admitted that to me.

Not only that, CouchSurfing has destroyed the future of many many youngsters all around the globe, made them drop out of their studies, and follow the no-where travel.

If you have low budget and can't afford travel, then don't enlarge the loser you're by traveling and couch surfing. Sit instead, develop yourself, and do something about it.

But that's how a loser Casey Fenton started out his life, and that's how he wants the world to be!
  • http://www.airbnb.com/ is reasonable, but perhaps you would like to try out its competitors too: http://www.jetsetter.com/ and http://www.homeaway.com/.
  • travel basically means exploring whether it be the geographical beauty
    or meeting new people or staring in wonder at the historical monuments or tasting the local food or their cultural ethoes and also the various modes of travel and stay

i would much rather travel in an overnight train to reach the same place which could otherwise be reached in a 1 hour morning plane journey

however i would always like to meet and interact with people and their food and their accommodation etc rather than fly in and out of airports and out of of 5star hotels

and when i read the other comments i am already experiencing this very pleasure

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion