Can you enter Canada from the US if you have a DUI?
  • You need to complete a criminal rehabilitation application if it has been over 5 years since your DUI conviction. If it has been less than 5 years since your conviction you need to apply for a temporary residents permit (TRP). You can easily find these applications via a quick search for them on google. As far as the complete jerk who called Americans trash for having a criminal record. KISS MY A$$. I have a DUI and Canada considers this misdemeanor a felony in Canada. It is really a shame that Canada has done this. Imagine if the USA excluded people from entry with a misdemeanor!! WE would never do that, but I think Canada needs a dose of its' own medicine.
  • I have 10 felonies, and 6 misdemeanors.
    Been to Canada several times.

But about 2 years ago I got a Drunk Driving.
    Misdemeanor in the States.
    But Canada seems to frown on that.

I haven't been back to Canada since I got my Drunk Driving.
  • WOW....I was looking at this site for a friend and can't believe the anger goping back and forth form both Americans and Canadians. I am an American living in Canada and have had many friends have problems coming into Canada from DUI's that happened in their 20's....one friend posted bail twice, and then when he went to renew for the third time was denied by the border guard, went to his superior - denied and told not to try again until 2014. The US will NOT deny entry to a Canadian with a DUI, but a pot charge is another matter - so I've heard. I cross the border at least 4 times a week (each way) If you remember that Border Agents are the ULTIMATE police, have respect and be truthful you won't have problems. YES, I do get called into secondary occasionally. It is a nuisance, but that is their perogative. Both countries have good points and bad points.....Canada feels safer, gang-types are less prevalent, US is better for shopping for everything. ....and has warmer destinations! It is unfortunate that transitting countries can't be easier, like it is in Europe, but since 9/11 happened I don't think our government will ever loosen control :(
  • Proudly Canadian makes very good points but I'd like to make a statement concerning Greed and the US contribuitons to the world. The US and our people are accused of being greedy and consuming most of the worlds resources on an annual basis with our disposable and wasteful style of living (but watch out here comes China). We ARE spoiled and mostly ignorant as a society with regards to how the rest of the world lives or even functions. However, the contributions that have been given to mankind by the United States is unmatched in all of history. The charitable contributions to every nation on earth by the United States is also unmatched -in fact it exceeds the charitable contributions of all other nations combined. These facts seem lost on those who accuse us of being selfish, greedy and disproportionately consuming the worlds natural resources.

As for our relationship with Canada? Oh My! Canada, you are a great neighbor and I for one, love you Canadians as neighbors. How I would hate to be an Iraqi, Iranian, Bosnian, Egyptian, Libian or Israeli. Now THEY have bad neighbors (and some are bad themselves). John seems to have seen the light - personal responsibility. It is really what is lacking in the US. Don't blame Canadian laws or customs for your inability to enter their country when it is as a result of your own actions.
  • @Michigander - with you on that!
  • I AM A 31 WOMEN AND WHEN I WAS 17 I WAS IN THE WRONG PLACE AT THE WRONG TIME IT GOT BUSTED I WAS WITH MY BOYFRIEND WHO TOOK THE CHARGE OF TRAFFICKING WEED BUT WE ALL HAD TO AGREE TO POSSION AND I DIDNT EVEN HAVE ANYTHING IN MY POSSION I WAS JUST THERE AND ALSO A $200 FINE IN ORDER FOR HIM TO JUST TO GET WEEKENDS AT THE TIME IT DIDNT SEEM TO MATTER NEVER THOUGHT ID EVER GO TO THE STATES BUT NOW I WOULD LOVE TO TAKE MY KIDS TO DISNEY AND AM SCARED TO TRY TO GO THROUGH US CUSTOMS THE CHARGE NEVER WENT THROUGH TILL I WAS 18 DO I HAVE TO GET A PARDON EVEN IF THAT WAS YEARS AGO AND HAVE NEVER BEEN IN TROUBLE WITH THE LAW SINCE
  • OH AND BY THE WAY IM CANADIAN
  • Im Thinking about trying to cross at the little town of Molson Wa. theres a resort/spa i want to go to right across the border in Osoyoos. Does anyone no if its easyier at the smaller crossings? i think Molson is a ghost town. Thank You
  • The amount of ignorance just astonishes me!!!!!!!!

First of all I would like to point out to “God Bless America” REALLY?!? Are you that oblivious, that arrogant, that ignorant that you honestly believe Canada depends on money from the US people to get by, that we thrive on US Tourists, WOW, okay AMERICA is in such an economic crisis right now it doesn’t even know what to do. I live in a small border town just north of a town in Montana and more Canadians own properties on the lakes and in the towns in Montana than Americans. I frequent the US a lot and have spoken to a lot of Americans who have promptly stated if it wasn’t for Canadian business they wouldn’t have any business at all.

I have nothing against Americans, in fact I am a dual citizen but it always blows me away with the amount of ignorance from uneducated people who truly know nothing about Canada or even their own economy for that matter.

Next, I have a few friends that work for Canada Customs as well as US Customs, you would be amazed of how many Americans are turned around daily for attempting to work in Canada. ALSO how many Americans are turned around daily for criminality? If you would like to educate yourself you could also stop and talk to US and Canada Customs instead of going on sheer ignorance, for example, Canada does have very tough immigration policies BUT so does the US. The US refuses entry for different types of criminality and offences than Canada and vise versa.
    **** those of you who want to know about DUI’s, if that is your only charge and it was more than 10 years ago from the time that you ended any and all punishments for that offence you are deemed rehabilitated.

For those of you on here bragging about entering Canada with extensive criminal records well it might be of interest to actually get that figured out because Canada will be laughing when you put out a lot of money to visit somewhere in Canada and at that point you get caught and refused no ifs, ands, buts about it. You may have gotten away with it thus far but one day it will catch up to you.

For the people who are not as oblivious as these people and want to know facts about coming to Canada it may be of interest to call an immigration line and get real facts, not “facts” from these idiots who are oblivious to life itself.

I do not judge the US or Canada for the select group of ignorant people; however, I find it extremely funny to read these posts written by these idiotic people who hide behind screen names. For those of you who “hate” Canada and think Canada lets criminals in because you “bring so much to Canada” why do you even visit Canada, isn’t that kind of ironic? For those of you who have a bunch of felonies etc why don’t you post your full name and date of birth so when a Customs agent does read this they can deal with you accordingly the next time you visit the country that you apparently hate.

I am actually quite sickened by the lack of knowledge on this post but at the same time find it absolutely hilarious!! Get your facts, go to the government websites call government hotlines, please don’t take information from these ignorant people on this post.

Please know that I am not referring to all of you who have posted on here…

Just had to vent!!!!
  • Oh and by the way USPILOT, giving Canada a dose of their own medicine?!? Well an American may be refused for a DUI when trying to come into Canada; however, if you were caught with a joint there wouldn’t be any questions asked BUT going into the US after being caught with a joint 20 years proir would be as if hell froze over and never allow you in. CHECK YOUR FACTS!!! Americans may think that being refused for a DUI is stupid but Canadians think being refused for a joint in even worse, when is the last time you heard of a person smoking a joint and killing someone, not very often, I personally hear of people drunk driving killing people ALL OF THE TIME.

One more question USPILOT, I sure hope you are not an actual pilot and if so please inform me of what airline you fly for because if you are applauding drunk drivers I sure as hell don’t ever want to be in an airplane you are flying, possibly drunk if it really isn’t that big of deal right?

JEEZ!!!!
  • A group of us travel a lot going to music festivals across the country and in Canada. we've been denied many times, but that never stops the people without criminal records from crossing and waiting for the rest of us to hike to them and get back in the car. we with extensive records have stopped trying to cross the border legally. when you pull up and half of you are high and the other half are trippin, you're gonna have your name ran and you're gonna get searched. hiking across is a much more quiet way of entering and bring my fun in without question. Mexicans do it coming to the US and so many people seem to fight for the rights of illegal immagrints that i've stopped caring. i'm not trying to make a life in an intolerant country, however Canada is beautiful and i disagree with anyone that says i cannot adventure and enjoy this world because my morals are not aligned with theirs. i go to my fest, i enjoy it, then i leave. the first time i was denied was in 2003 the last time i tried to cross at a border crossing was 2005, i can't count how many times I've been since then, prolly around 25-30 times.

i know all of you intolerant people will criticize this, call me whatever you want, i'm still going to cross and then wave to the border agents as i come back to the US
  • Our son had moved to Alaska some time ago and has considered moving back to the lower 48. Problem is that he got a DUI while living in Alaska. Will he be unable to pack up and move back this way?
  • Come on guys, I think Canada and Canadians are cool, and (most) of us here in the states are cool, every country does dirt, we all live on other natives' land, we speak the same language and do the same shit. Trailer Park boys reminded me a lot of the characters I knew growing up. I have a DUI and hope it wont stop me from driving up to Montreal this summer
  • Flying to Vancouver Airport on Sunday for a 4 day visit, have a DUI that was removed from my record (by completing diversion) over a year ago. Will I have any trouble getting in? I'm surprised that my passport would be able to pull up all this information
  • My roommate just flew into Canada yesterday and they stopped her at the airport in Canada and gave her hell about the DUI she got a year ago. She was also there last weekend with no problem. She had to pay a huge fine in Canada and now isn't sure if they will even let her go back in. Probably a good idea to check it out before you buy a plane ticket or cross the border.
  • All of the information on this website refers to CONVICTIONS, but what happens if you got arrrested, and the charges were DISMISSED. I live in Oregon and there is a doctor in Surrey, BC I need to see to clear up some cranial issues I am having. If they run a background check, or google my arrest, will I be denied entry. My charge is a class B misdemeneor possession of Marijauna. The charge says under 2oz, but I only had a few grams.
  • I'm planning on flying into Vancouver on May 17th to board a cruise ship up and down the Canadian coast and I had a DUI in 2009 and a wet & reckless in 2006. Will I be allowed into Canada? I've completed my DUI classes and have my license back and i'm a bit worried in regards to being embarrassed in front of my friends and family that are going with me on the trip. Is there anything I should bring or do prior to leaving in the next 2 1/2 weeks?
  • I am planning a trip overseas and have a re-fuel stop in Canada. We will not deplane and as far as i know not go through customs.

I also had a DUI 5+ years ago; has anyone ever been turned away from a refuel flight because of a dui?
  • I had a DUI in 2005 but was able to go into Canada twice in 2007 without any problems.

Has something changed since then that may not allow me to enter the country now? Or did I just get lucky that no one asked if I had been arrested?
  • Or, Perhaps instead of both countries bitching about DUI's, both countries could create automated transport systems which are guided by satellite, thus removing the whole "Drunk Driver" problem out of the scenario... saving countless lives in the process. But where's the money in that? How will that support the Prison Industrial Complex? How will that help the police employment? ;)

As a human being on this earth, the earth, is my home.
    Drawing invisible lines in the ground and performing a massive circle jerk exclaiming that one side is better than the other side is most childish (talking about both sides).

Here is an example of a world not run on century-old thinking, but rather the intelligent management of the earth's resources while applying the scientific method for social concern: www.thevenusproject.com

I've read all the postings so far... very interesting stories.. I'm not entirely sure why anyone would want to live in Canada, other than some of the nice mountain views, but other than that.. there is nothing else in my opinion.. so hearing about how the border patrol is keeping people out of canada due to decade old convictions or records, is in the very least, ignorant. They should provide scientific data showing the correlation of violence from decade old offenders entering the country, then maybe they would have a reason to deny them, other than their "personal opinion" also known as "bias".
  • I don’t think you would have any problem entering Canada as you have nothing much just a DUI. I have also been caught two times in DUI while driving a rental car but have never mentioned it to any company not even my rental company. That’s why I hire from the same company (http://www.pointcarhire.com/ ) because I am bit afraid that some other rental company might put that on my record that can further hamper me in hiring a car.
  • If you have your record expunged or dismissed in the US dose Canada acknowldge it as
    a conviction
  • I have a DUI from 9 years ago. I work for a very large construction firm and have been instructed to go to Canada to set up the systems for a large project. I knew nothing about how serious Canada saw DUI's until yesterday so now I'm worried.
    I have travelled and worked all over Europe during the last 9 years since my conviction, Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong & have visited the US twice without any trouble what so ever. Are Canadian customs really THAT strict?
    I know the fim has some good lawyers on my case but what I want to know is, what are my chances of getting a TRP with good references from my firm if I turn up with some old court documents?
  • Luv Both Countries My GF Is In NJ And I Live In Manitoba "Canada" For All You Americans. 31 Years ago 2 Weeks After My 18th Birthday I Got Charged As A Accessary To The Fact Got A Pardon Still Will Cost $1300 To Cross The Border - A Border Waiver My US Freinds So Shut Up
  • I was also very concerned about traveling to Canada with a DUI that i had on my record from 2003. My purpose to visit was for a Job interview at company headquarters and I would not actually be working in Canada, just needed to interview with them for 2 days.

In preperation of Driving up to Canada, i submitted all of the paperwork to the canadian consulate in Detroit, but was not able to get the application for rehabilitation processed in time. So, not knowing if I was going to be allowed into Manitoba, I decided to risk it and drive up. I brought a copy of my application as well as all of the supporting documents from my case that I could get my hands on. This caused me stress as I looked and researched for weeks if I would be permitted entrance or not.

When driving through customs, as anticipated, I was asked to come in and talk with an immigration officer. he asked if I had any criminal background.. I was completely honest with the agent and explained my efforts in getting a TRP and crimnal rehabilitation in advance. He had asked me if I already paid for my application for rehabilitation($200 USD) which I had. his response was "thats to bad, hopefully you can get that back". From there he asked me a series of questions about my offense and if i had any offenses since then. I had just one speeding ticket since the 2003 DUI. He took my application for rehabilitation and actually processed it right there, within an hour. He explained to me that their are minor and Major Criminally inadmissible cases. A dUI is considered a Minor case and the application for rehabilitation can be process right at the port of entry.

The most important thing that I did, was I came to the border with all of the paperwork and documentation that I could, and I was completely honest with the border patrol. I can not explain the weight that was lifted off of my shoulders when he handed me a Canadian document that would allow me to enter Canada whenever I want with no more anxiety of being denied entry due to this offense. Just be honest and they understand that people screw up and can learn from there mistakes.
  • This is for the person convicted of multiple offenses both misdemeanor and felony and having LUCK entering Canada.

I am not judging you but LISTEN UP to my story.

I live in a US border town on Canadian border for 12 years and dozens of times have entered Canada for dentist, enjoyment, shopping whatever without detainment.

I have a 30 year old misdemeanor offense and never once though it would show up .

WRONG.

They did a criminal check and it showed up. 30 Years old. And put me through the wringer. Not pleasant.

Be warned.
  • Last month, tried to border a plane from Montreal to the Dominican Republic with one stop in Miami. I am a Canadian citizen. I was refused entry by the US Border agent at the YUL airport after a passport check. Because of a DUI IN 1991! Yes, that's right .... 20 years ago I got a DUI in Montreal and now, If I want to enter the United States, I was told I was going to need a waiver. VERY EXPENSIVE AND COMPLICATED TO GET THIS STUPID WAIVER! So, Americans have it a lot easier, believe me.... On top of that, I DIDN'T EVEN WANTED TO VISIT THE USA, IT WAS JUST A PITSTOP !!!!. Lost my plane ticket, my hotel reservations and money !!!!....
  • Well, the Canadians in Vancouver showed us what the Canadian authorities are worried about. It really is too bad. My daughter and her girlfriend were going to visit Toronto for two days and two more in Montreal. The girlfriend's parents were coming from the US to visit Montreal with them. My daughter just learned today about Canada's rules regarding DUI. She has one from almost 2 years ago and has a breathalyzer in her car. Now none of them are going to visit Canada. I guess I will never travel to Canada again because I have a 21 year old DUI in the US! If this becomes better know, a lot of US people are going to have to avoid Canada. I'm going to make sure no flight I am on touches down anywhere near the place!
  • Shrek. Hit me up bro... anyone else that has some tips on how to get into canada through the back door... also hit me up. paulbras@live.com . I wont waste my time explaining my situation here to these sheeple.
  • hey guys help me out with some info plz. My husband is a USA citizen and he had some problem with the IRS and they issued a warrant for him but we took care of that n paid them but its been almost 3 months and they haven't removed his name from the system. does anyone know how long it might take to get his name off? he was out of the country while this thing was going on n 3 days ago he was trying to come back to USA through Canada and they arrested him in Vancouver, so what might happen to him now? n what is the quicks way to get him back in USA. plz help me out....
  • Wow. I'm not sure I want to be a citizen of the US or Canada at the rate they're urinating all over our civil liberites. Ah nuts to it, I'll just sneak in through the NW territory, it'll be fun. Maybe see me a baar or two.
  • "ive been arrested 10 times and still go into canada with no problems. of course i dont tell them i have been arrested. i have never been asked about my criminal past either. i have entered canada many times both by plane and car. on the other hand, if you were a canadian going to the u.s. with even one arrest, that could be a problem. "

I hope that this is not too personal, but were you just arressted or were you convicted. There is an important distinction over here in Europe
  • my fiancee and i are planning on driving back from the states into canada, he' s american, I'm canadian. he has an over 11 year dwi which shouldn't be a problem according to the canadian website, but he also has a teeny possession charge.. just a little baggy of pot - probably around 4 years ago. does anyone think this may be a problem driving across?
  • I've been denied entry to Canada based on a false FBI record. It's funny to me that people on the forum think the Canadian customs don't have access to your record. They do. And, for those who are concerned, it's case-by-case basis as you can see, because even though they have rules (like hating theft/shoplifting and DUI convictions less than 10 years old..) it also depends on what your record says about you and whether you are dealing with a concerned agent.
    In my case, even though the charges were dropped and the case dismissed, on my FBI record, which they showed to me, it states that I am a "fugitive from justice." I only have problems at the Vancouver/Seattle border crossing though. My friend was denied in New York for an old shoplifting conviction.
  • Very interesting to read your comments, cee. I have a forty-two year old conviction for shoplifting and it showed up on a background check run as a result of a NEXUS application. I honestly thought that charge had been expunged years ago and only vaguely remember the incident itself. Three years after that a charge for disorderly conduct - and nothing else for over forty years. Suffice it to say, I learned from those mistakes when I was 18 and 21 respectively. I held the same job for 35 yars - I have bought and paid for my home - I am on various local authority Commissions and Boards.
    So now I am having to pay the $200 fee for 'Rehabilitation' - not to mention spend an exorbitant amount of time on trying to obtain permission to enter Canada. It will cost me another two to three hundred dollars to obtain all of the records that they want ME to provide (when they already have them). It is also going to cost well in the area of about $2500 to have these two incidents researched and ultimately expunged.
    I really don't mind going through whatever dog and pony show Canada would require if it weren't for having to supply duplicate information THAT THEY ALREADY HAVE..... and having to wait months to get it done. I should think a background check that shows no criminal activity in 40 years plus letters of reference and job history should suffice. I think both sides are a bit over the top.
  • What happens to the driver of a car that has a passenger who is out on bail awaiting a court date for a misdemeanor? The passenger is, I assume, not supposed to leave the country, but if she/he is caught at the border, is the driver of the car he/she is in held responsible?
  • It all depends on what custom agent you get some just pass you through some do everything exactly how the book tells them. I have watched the agents read their manual to figure out what to do in their situation. Then again they themselves were an immigrant to the country of Canada, kinda ironic really...Good luck crossing have fun and spend some money.
  • i was planning on taking a cruise that brings us into canada, i have a dwi, that i am still without driving privlidges because of. i keep hearing about trouble driving or flying in, but what about cruising?
  • I Entered The Us From Canada Many Years Ago With A Friend That Had A Previous Conviction (Which I Didn't Know)I Was Charged With Stealing A Car Stereo At 18 Yrs + A Week But Was A Accesory To The Fact. I Went To Court Got Discharched As I Fled Not Wanting To Pertake.I Was Brought Up In A Law Abiding Family. I Also Aplyed For A Pardon Which I Recieved. BOOM US Customs 4 Hours Lucky We Hit The Tax Free Place 2 40s And Got Free Carrage Back Into Canada.In My Interview They Said Do You Know Its A Priverlage To Visit The USA LOL. Duis Are Not Allowed Into Canada Or Pardons From Canada Into The US. So Wake Up Smell The Coffee, Both Coutries Have Thier Ways.
  • Hi,

I wasn't so lucky and got a DUI 4th of July 2010, never ever had any other offenses or bad record before this =( Damn it cost me so much stress and money that I quit partying and drinking! Anyways..we have a family emergency that came up and my family and I are planning to drive from California to Canada for the weekend to see my very ill grandma. Since we driving across border, will they let me cross into Canada with my US passport or ID..its no longer a restricted license since i fulfilled all my classes and fines.

Any advice?

PS: i even contacted a local CA police station and he said he never heard such thing as Canadian stopping DUI offenders from crossing border ;/
  • Let me tell you..... I have been to so many countries in my life and let me tell you... The CBSA is the most arrogant, racist and unprofessional border agency I have ever seen in the world.

When you go to even richer and more developed countries like France, Germany, UK, Japan, and Australia, they always treat you with some kind of respect and dignity unless you are an obvious smuggler or terrorist. But those Canadian border agents always want to look like American guards and try to show you how aggressive they can be and try to look like they are like the most powerful super power country like the United States.

The Canadian border guys act like they can be as aggressive as the US border guys. If you are not white, things get worse. They assume that you are a potential illegal immigrant if you are Asian or hispanic.

I mean even those richer and more developed countries like France, Germany, Australia, Japan, and UK don't act like that but why the hell do those Canadians act like that? They wanna look like Americans? The fact is that they dislike America very much. It is very ironic that they don't like America much but they wanna look like Americans.

At least America had 9/11 and Bin Laden and is dealing with terrorists and I can understand that but why do Canadians act like they are the most powerful superpower in the world? Also, the question is, is the Canadian CBSA's arrogant attitude helping them catch any terrorists? The answer is NO. Instead of catching terrorists or making Canada safer, they are harrassing innocent and genuine travelers. They could harass white Americans for very minor things and if you are black, asian or indian, they become very racist.

Yes, the US customs and Border Protection agents are tough too but let me tell you. I'm a recently neutralized US citizen. Before I became a citizen or even before I got my green card years ago, I went through extra screening at American airports when I was travelling to the US, but it was always dealt professionally and IN ORDER and if you have nothing to worry about then it is always fine.

But CBSA agents always just try to look how aggressive they can be and they just do what they think they want to do. Nothing is in oder. The way they look through your bag and stuff is very chaotic and unprofessional. Many of them are rookies. Instead of securing Canada's border, they are just interested in harrassing people. The Canadian border guards just want to have the way the American guards talk and the black uniforms but they have no idea how professionally those US CBP agents are actually working to protect the country in the back.

When you go into the US, you will see many old veterans in the US CBP but in the Canadian side, most of the agents are young faced rookies. They are very unprofessional and they are racist, coward and arrogants nazis.

Also, did you know this? The Canadian Border Service Agency doesn't even protect Canada's border. About 99% of Canada's border patrol is dealt with the RCMP (Canada's national police) and the CBSA is usually just at border enterances. So fact is this.....

CBSA agents are just corwards who want to LOOK like cops but too coward to become real cops and put their lives on duty. They don't even protect Canada's border. Canada's national police RCMP does most of border patrol and the CBSA is just full of all the racist dickheads who think that they look like cops with guns and badges and they enjoy their power when they deny your entry.

ALSO,

Unlikely all the other countries' border agents, the Canadian CBSA guys hide their names with number tags. When you go to Canada next time, look at their name tags. They don't show their names. Not even last names.

Why do those Canadian border guys hide their names? They DO know that they are racist and do something they are not very proud of. That's why they don't want to reveal their names. Even the US Customs guys have their last names on their badges. Canadians are the only ones who don't wanna show you their names. They know they are doing something they are embarrassed of.

All the other Canadian police officers have their names on their name tags. But as I said, Canadian Border Service agents are just arrogant, racist dickheads who want to look like cops but too coward to be actual cops and they just want to look as aggressive as American border guards but NOT as professional as (far far far less) the US guys and the fact is that Canada is not America and all the other countries that are richer and more developed such as UK, France, Australia, japan, Swiss and Germany treat you with much more respect and dignity.
  • in addition to dui, drug related crimes, i have been convicted for crimes that i care not to discuss on here. i tried to enter canada and was denied entry. their loss though. i enjoy getting high. who is canada or anyone else to tell me that is wrong? hello! im coming canada to spend AMERICAN dollars. shouldnt canadians be on their hands and knees for me? nothing i cant get in the states that they have in canada anway.
  • get out of your car and walk around... works every time
  • wow.....I guess ima die without seeing the world.. Just cuz I had 2 beers...
  • quetions
    i have a friend of mind who currently living in america and planing to visit canada canadian boarder are they going to ask his buget
  • Life is extremely unfair. These agents need to understand that we are human and we all make mistakes. I lived in the U.S. for over ten years and made a lot of friends and have a lot of family that I left behind when I moved back to Canada. I always go back to visit them on an annual basis ever since 2009. My record was always clean and they'd only ask me if I was financially supporting myself and who I was staying with whenever I had to go to the U.S. border to cross over to America. I remember back in '09 when they actually called one of my relatives to ask her if she was expecting me and I thought that while it was a bit over the top that it made sense. They are extremely cocky, though and seem to want to find ANY reason what so ever to turn you back. This is the problem with people having power and their abuse of it. Which brings me to this: last year I was arrested for possession of a stolen item. I've never had a criminal record and I was just at the wrong place and the wrong time. I tried being a good Samaritan by stopping a robbery and was in possession of the ring by the time the cops came for questioning/searching. I spent thousands of dollars on a lawyer trying to clean my name. Luckily the charge was lessened but I still had to plead guilty to it. I am now doing a character witness profiling where relatives and friends have to go see a judge to let them know how I am and see if he can erase my record from the database.

Now, Wrestlemania is coming up and I plan on going to Miami. I've purchased my tickets and everything and have invested over 2000 dollars on this trip. I am scared shitless because now I know for a fact that they are gonna see what happened last year and now I fear that I will be turned away. The problem is, you can't even reason with the U.S. agents. These guys have no sympathy what so ever. It's as if they LIKE to turn people away. I feel as if the rules should be changed because in all honestly they are a bit too sensitive. I feel like if you should bar anyone from entering your country then it should be under suspicions of terrorism or someone trying to illegally enter. On a crime note, only convicted felons should be banned from entering. I find that they are going over board with stupid charges like petty theft, DUI's, battery, and so forth. I mean yea, if we have those charges then screen us in a backroom and see where we are mentally to see if we can enter the U.S. or at least give us the chance to plea and show you that we will not do anything stupid in your country. And it's not to even say that I committed any sort of crime. I simply tried to stop a robbery which was a dumb move and now I got f'ed over in the end, but complaining about it won't get me into the U.S.

I really don't know what to do. I am going to take the chance and I plan on going by plane. I've been going by greyhound during my previous trips due to it being much cheaper. I hope by me showing the agent my Wrestlemania ticket(s) and he sees how much I spent that he will understand and let me cross. Plus my charge is only a misdemeanor so I hope that plays a good factor into me being able to get in. God this has not been a good two years for me other than my son being born.
  • I've never had a DUI at all.... never driven drunk period. I just found out that I have a warrant for my arrest that is 6 years old !!! It is a felony I have no clue how or why it is existent. It's theft related. If I want to come to Canada, will a felony warrant for theft that is 6 years old show up at the border ?? I mean I was never arrested so obviously it's not a conviction. But do the border agents do a background check on every person who tries to cross into Canada ??? I have been stopped for a few traffic violations & gone to many gov't offices in the past 6 years and NEVER EVER did any police or gov't official tell me I had a warrant out !!!! So how would Canada know ?
  • I have always appreciated Canada and recently met several Canadians while on a Christmas vacation in Mexico. This is where I learned of this absurdity. Cops suck everywhere as they are all about power! Interesting though one of the Canadian chics I met in Mexico said that their local cops are very lenient. Stating that getting out of tickets is somewhat easy that the cops there will actually try to help you. Though she was female in case you guys are wondering she was just an average looking female. Our local cops are assholes. I am in NC if anyone is interested. Surely their are a decent one or two, but most of us would sacrifice those few to get rid of the others. Any law prohibiting entry for a misdemeanor is absurd. Almost everyone I know has some sort of record in their past and most folks have already paid their time and lots of money. My desire to go to Canada would really only be to see Celine Dion as I know I have visited Niagra Falls as a child. Considered moving to Montana, but this even halted that idea as I would be tempted to go to Canada to visit only. Less than five yrs since my DWI and still paying for it in many ways here in the US and didn't hurt anyone. I already resent the cops here in the US and all this just makes me sick. Im sure I could eventually get into Canada with a temporary pass, but frankly I have no desire to enter Canada at all now. I wish the US would make it hard like this on EVERYONE! I want to move from my town so bad and the reason IS because the US allows anything and everyone in, and Im not talking about to VISIT I am talking about to live. The whole system is screwed up! Guess I will have to go to Vegas to see Celine. As far as where to move still looking...looking for serenity, water, country, nature. I want to be away from everyone. Have peace again. For those that are wondering I have taken responsibility for my DWI conviction. I have also been punished much harsher than the crime. I have resorted to hanging around and asking of people rides from those that I wouldn't normally even associate with, and still knowing that it has been these very same people that have allowed me to survive. I have become not only grateful but forever indebted to them. I am a single mother of two girls and I have asked for rides ranging from anything to the grocery store and kids' dentist appointments to replacing my household appliances or work. This has been going on since 2008. Yes I have and use public trans as well. Long ago I paid all my monetary obligations and did all the stupid classes required that discussed cocaine and other drugs as much or more than alcohol. I went to church every single Sunday before this happened and have always considered myself to be a good citizen. Paid my own way since 17 and single mother of two with no child support for the past 9 yrs. I was unable to visit my mother in a neighboring town dying of cancer very much because of having no license. My father passed also one yr later and didn't get to visit him much for the same reason. I haven't been to church in 4 yrs now and I miss it terribly. This has taken a toll on me in every way imaginable from the raising of my girls, the ease of getting around, the company I have kept, tons of money, self-esteem, everything! Sadly, it still isn't over either. I am not a felon, but jobs are already hard enough to get with this not making that any easier. So the way I figure it, I have done my time when I get my license back, and I will. When I do I should be allowed to visit Canada with no problem, and if that is a problem then I have lost all desire to EVER go to Canada.
  • @DJ Whyte: We went there because Al-Qaeda was there. Our military is retarded? Who killed Osama Bin Laden, hmm? U.S. Navy SEALS. Our military has been, so far, many times more productive than yours, so stop dissing the U.S. So far, the U.S. has trained several Afghan combatants, and is creating a formidable military to leave when we pull out. We're leaving an impact.
    As far as the idea of God being an imaginary friend, that's just stupid. Our motto for years has been God Bless America. So I say once again: God Bless America.
  • "My desire to go to Canada would really only be to see Celine Dion as I know I have visited Niagra Falls as a child."

Wow.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion