Overstayed Visa by 9 months
  • Hi I overstayed my visa by longer than planned, main reason is I ran out of money to get a returning flight. Sounds stupid i know?! Anyway I have booked a flight home for end of the month can anyone tell me what problems I will face? Has anyone experienced this? I'm expecting a R3000 fine minimum but how long will they interrogate me for as I dont want to miss my flight home.

Thanks
  • Hi Shiftybeats,

Sorry, you'll have to give us more information... What nationality are you? In what country have you overstayed your visa?
  • Hi sorry about that I'm a UK citizen and I'm in South Africa.

Thanks
  • Well, that's better news than if it was the other way around!

Judging from reports, you'll be fined about R3,000 -- which you'll probably have to pay when you get to London. There are stories of people 'ducking' this fine, but it's seriously not advisable to do so, as you might get a 'black mark' against your name and compromise your chances of future travel.

I don't think you need to worry too much about 'interrogation'. As long as you've got your flight home booked, and you tell them you know you've messed up and are happy to accept the fine, you should be sent on your way without too much hassle. Perhaps just arrive a little earlier than usual at the airport, in case.
  • Thanks a lot for the advice. Much appreciated
  • hi i overstayed and also got a R3000 fine but i want to return but i still need to pay ...if i pay can i go back ...im from the uk and my wife and child still live in sa....can i just pay and go back ..thank you keith
  • I have a daughter that is very much in the same situation as "Shiftybeats". She's American in SA
    She was asked to the country by a woman offering her a job. She entered the country on a tourist/visitor visa and was told that they would change that while she was there. Well now, the "job" has not worked out and my daughters visa has expired (About a month ago) her scheduled flight home is not until Dec. 22nd. Other than the flight change cost and the fines mentioned above...Is that my "worst case scenario"? She wants to eventually stay in SA and continue her college studies. I want to get this corrected before she will not be allowed to return. Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Worried Dad!!
  • Good morning David .

My Mother of 80+ travelling in South Africa overstayed her visitors visa period a year ago , not being aware of the time restriction . On leaving Oliver Tambo received a R1000.00 fine , which she was told she only need to pay on returning to RSA . She is Irish and travels on an Irish passport . She is currently in Australia and would like to return to South Africa for a visit . She has not been back to the UK since leaving SA . Where can we pay her fine to save her any stress , which such matters cause Elderly people ? Is this incident likely to prevent her visiting SA . What normally happens in this kind of scenario . Will she need an onward ticket , on reaching SA as we are not sure as to how long she will be visiting for ? Thank you .
  • Hi
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, my grandfather, from the UK, overstayed on his South African visa by a couple of days. He has a fine to pay which is very well and good but he doesn't know who he needs to contact to pay the fine or where he needs to go. He is back in the UK and being 87 we in SA are trying to help him sort this out as hopefully he'll be coming back to SA in the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hi
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, my grandfather, from the UK, overstayed on his South African visa by a couple of days. He has a fine to pay which is very well and good but he doesn't know who he needs to contact to pay the fine or where he needs to go. He is back in the UK and being 87 we in SA are trying to help him sort this out as hopefully he'll be coming back to SA in the future. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hi everyone,
    I just found out that the working visa applied by my employer tru an agency was rejected 1month ago. I am very disappointed and want to correct this. I had a working visa before, and when I transferred employment, my new employer applied a new working visa for me. However, after a year of waiting it was finally rejected by home affairs. Please advise what to do. I am from the Philippines. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Wanderer
  • Hi People sorry not answered sooner, my fine was paid in February this year and i returned to SA in the same month and recently got granted a 2 year relatives visa. As far as fines are concerned just pay them at the South African Embassy if your'e based in london or pay via post - following link will give you info needed;

http://southafricahouseuk.com/visas/vis_adminfines.html 
  • my husband is south africa over stayed his visa what is going to happen
  • I have a friend that over stayed her visa in south Africa. She is an American citizen and they are saying she can't leave till the fine is paid. The fine is 2500 usd does she really have to pay the fine for the overstay before returning home? Or can the fine be paid after returning home?
  • Hi,I am Congolese and have overstayed on my South African visa by two years,what will be approximately the fine to pay in order to sort out this matter?
  • My friend is terrified. She is 60 years old. She has overstayed her Visa by years. She came here from Scotland to be with her girlfiend It did not work out...she is now living in a friends apartment..working for cash. She is a musician and a wonderful person. She could make a great lvigin and enjoy a productive life her with her new friends. What can she do to stay in US legally?
  • Does anyone know about overstaying visas in Namibia? Is it the same that you just have to pay a fine?
  • M frm Botswana, Iv overstayed my RSA visa by 11days. Whts the fine??
  • hi,
    does anyone know how much fine i will be asked to pay? i overstayed for 30days, and were do i pay the fine? will i have to pay it at the airport or when i get back to nigeria?
    pls urgent reply needed, cos i need to go back home!
  • Whoa how come so many people overstay their visas? This is a bad plan all round.
  • Hello
    please i overstayed and also got a R3000 fine but i want to return but i know i will still need to pay ...if i pay can i come into SA. The big problem was that while in SA i was misled and i got an ASYLUM . so when i was leaving , i had fear of been interrogated so i presented my ASYLUM. THOUGH THEY ALLOWED ME LEAVE BUT THEY SAID I CANT COME INTO SA AGAIN. PLEASE SIR I NEED TO KNOW IF AM STILL FREE TO COME AFTER PAYING THE FINE
  • Hi

I am an Indian, holding a valid SA work permit. My employer had processed dependant visas for my wife, daughter and son in Aug 2012 however, my passport number on my family visas is incorrect. This is a typo mistake, commited by SA consulate. I will appreciate if someone will suggest the process to get it fixed.

Regards
    Naveen Kapoor

• Hello friends,am Nino Ortega a Nigerian,i came into tunisia 3months ago for football trials though i wasn't invited by any club...i just got to know that there is penalties to be paid for overstaying my 3month visa, i intend to work if i don't get selected in the trials till december to get money for air ticket..Please !!! I want to know what the penalty for 6months would be..thanks all for your kind anticipation
  • In my opinion, you are a very foolish young man. You were not invited by any club so no one will give you a trial. Nigerians are only given a 30 day visa so you are already an overstayer.

The labour laws are strict in Tunisia and foreigners can not take jobs that Tunisians can do. If you are found working illegally you will be fined and removed back to Nigeria.

You will also be fined at the airport when you leave after overstaying, fines vary for periods overstayed, you can also be detained in prison.

Following ones dreams is understandable but you need a properly thought out plan.

• Hi, I have a friend who is trapped in Nigeria with no money because he was robbed and therefore by the time he got the money for a ticket out of there, he has been slugged with a $2550 fine for overstaying 10 days. Why should he be fined because of their own people causing his over staying? It's crap if you ask me. It's a ransom.
  • Actually it's not crap, nor ransom. It's a scam. Hope you didn't send him any money.
  • Hi sandtiger, you don't say what nationality your friend is? He should have reported the crime to the police and immediately contacted his local embassy - they are there to help solve these sorts of problems. As a side note, I have to tell you this sounds like a very common scam which we hear about often on this forum... I assume when you say friend you know this person well, and you are not referring to somebody you met online and who is now using this story to ask for financial assistance from you?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged