Beijing China Solo Travel Tips for Women
  • 1. Things to pack:
    Tampons, pads, individually wrapped wipes, lots those little packets of tissue (there is a shortage of toilet paper here), and a couple of pairs of gloves - thin dress gloves. Many local women here wear them. You can buy them here in the department stores with shoe brushes and polish.
    2. Safety Tips for Women:
    In general, foreign women are unlikely to suffer serious sexual harassment in Beijing. Police tend to investigate crimes against foreigners more closely than they do crimes against locals, and more severe penalties are often imposed. This offers non-Chinese women with a kind of important aura of protection. For more women solo travel tips, please read the valuable advice below:
    1) Use your body language: keep your head up, swing your arms and act confident. Adopt an easy attitude. Walk with purpose and you'll become less of a target for hustlers who prey on disoriented or timid travellers.
    2) If you are being followed in the street and you feel threatened, you just go to a shop nearby and carmly tell the clerk: "I am a foreigner and someone is following me. I am frightened and need your help." If necessary, ask the clerk to call a taxi or police officer for you.
    3) It would be much safer to sit or stand next to other women or family groups in restaurants, either on trains or buses, or in other public places. It is unlikely that you will be attacked if you're in the company of other people.
    4) Don't travel around alone too late at night.
    5) Don't wear expensive jewellery overtly.
    6) Some thieves prefer crowded areas - stay alert in places like buses, bus stations, where you're likely to be jostled.
    7) Hide valuables (cash, cheques and credit cards) on a belt worn under the clothes next to the skin.
    8) Thinking of carrying a 'dummy' wallet containing a small amount of cash. If you are directly faced by a mugger, you can hand over the dummy wallet and keep from further harm.
    9) Take with you at all times the contact details of your local travel agency, and also your embassy in China.
  • I am so glad you shared those tips to us. This would be a lot of help to all the women out there who loves to travel and those who ae planning to travel in Beijing also.
  • In my opinion the tips you have mentioned are not only for women traveling in China but applies to women travelers all over the world; no matter where there are traveling irrespective of the fact that they are traveling with or without someone.
  • Thanks for all of your kindly comments, yes it is not the notes only for travel to China, but also for travel to somewhere.
  • This feedback is great for women who are thinking of travelling to China on their own. I personally found that travelling in China as a woman is quite easy in comparison to other Asian countries that I had previously visited.I found that I was left alone and not hassled and people tried to help me wherever possible.

I found that the language barrier can be a bit of an issue (but no more for female travellers than for male travellers) but arm yourself with a good guide book and be prepared to make lots of arm gestures! Asides from this I think just be aware and cautious as if you were travelling anywhere in the world and last of all have fun and enjoy!
  • Hi, please I would love my question to be answered. I'm a Nigerian, I want to travel to philippines to see my girlfriend by agreement. please what could be the requirements at the embassy inorder to grant me entry?
  • Thanks for the recommendation you have a planned for Walk the Great Wall of China and stare down Terra cotta soldiers in Xian. To get close to the iconic Giant Panda and cruise through the Three Gorges along the Yangtze. This itinerary introduces a fascinating route from North to South of China. Welcome to Beijing! Clear the customs and retrieve your baggage by yourself upon arrival, be greeted by our tour guide in the Arrival Hall who is holding a sign on which says your name; transferred by your private car/van to your hotel downtown. The rest of the day is your own time.

www.yangtze-river-cruises.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion