Closest safari to Cape Town?
  • Hi I just wanted to find out if there are any nearby safaris in capetown s. africa?
  • Hi - the short answer is Yes, there is a safari destination only 2 hours from Cape Town. It is called Aquila (www.aquilasafari.com). It is convenient but not 100% "the real thing". It is worth going to Port Elizabeth (1.5 hours flight from CapeT) or doing the safari properly and going the Kruger Park or private parks in Mpumalanga (5 hours north of Johannesburg).
  • Latest news is that a small game park is soon to open in Kommetjie, on the tip of the Cape peninsula, but no predators will be stocked. If you want to see wildgame near Cape Town you might consider visiting the cheetah outreach program at Spier Wine estate near Stellenbosch.
  • Hey! Yeah there is also the Drakensburg, you might recall hearing that name from the movie 2012?
    There is a safari reserve near the drakensburg where you can view the Big 5! I wrote an article called Drakensburg Accommodation (http://www.holiday-resorts.org.za/07/drakensberg-accommodation.html) which has more info on the area.
  • There aren't really any game reserves in the Drakensberg... the closest reserves would be Tala (no predators) and Hluhluwe/Umfolozi, which is up closer to St Lucia.
  • Hi there,

I also know of a nice gam reserve close to Plettenberg Bay. Not really close to Cape Town (about 5 hours drive), but really a nice place. It is called Plettenberg Game reserve, I think.

Cheers Richie
  • Keep in mind that the Drakensburg is nowhere near Cape Town. It's on the other side of the country near Durban.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion