Scammers and online dating
  • I want to warn everyone who does the online dating thing. If it is too good to be true it is. I had a guy contact me on Yahoo Messanger. He said he saw my profile on an online dating site. We started talking....everyday. He was very sweet, full of compliments, wrote poems. Supposedly he works on oil rigs and 1 week after we started talking he went to Belfast, Ireland. Now I am not a stupid person and I know that you do not send money to people you don't know. He told me he was a widower with a 17 yr old daugter who went to school in England and he had lost his wife (first he told me 5 yr then 3 yrs) to breast cancer. He sent me pictures and even had his daughter and I emailing each other. He asked me to send money to his daughter because he did not have his check book with him and I told him no that I did not have the money. 3 weeks turned into 2 1/2 months and his daughter needed lots of money for school so he had his company send me a check. I figure what could that hurt I would have the funds before I sent the money....right. Well the check was drawn on a canadian account and had to go to collections....thank god. He wanted me to go to the bank and get half of the money to send to his daughter and I told him the bank would not give me any money until the check cleared. He got very upset and started cussing about what kind of bank did I bank at. In the mean time his daughter borrowed some money for a male school mate and he wanted his money back or he wanted other things.
    Well being a mother I could not stand the thought of that happening so I sent money. Then I start putting things together, like the fact that neither one of them will give me a home address or anything that I can verify, I sent the money 150 miles from where she goes to school, he told me that the head mistress from the school was calling and wanting tuition and he told me her name but would not have her call me so I could talk to her. The reason for that was because the name he gave me was noone who even works at the school....I called. He told me stuff like he had never meet anyone that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with and I thought what about your dead wife. Then his daughter started calling me mom and told me that she was so happy to have a mother's love that she has never had before and I thought what about your dead mother. This guys name is Scott Jackson and his daughters name is Karina. I let him know that I knew he was a scam and that this bank was closed for business.
    Please beware of any person who tells you they love you too quickly, who has you talking to their child with in a week, who writes the most beautiful things you think they should work for Hallmark, if they will not give you a phone number or address that you can verify, if they ask for money or ask if they can send you a large check because they have noone else to send it to, if they tell you that money is no object to them but there is always a reason they cannot get to their money, if they tell you they have a webcam but it is broke (if money is no object why is it not fixed?), if you ask questions and they talk around it or change the subject, or they contact you on IM instead of the dating site. If they contact you this way tell them that you would like to talk but on the website. Scammers don't like the websites because of the security on them.
    Scott's fallen angel
  • Thanks for sharing a extreme experience from your practical life.
  • i have a friend who i believe is being scammed. very similar situation...scammer works in Virginia and keeps having trouble on his jobsite so he can't make it back home...the strange this is she paid $18.23 to have a package sent for him, but he turned around and gave her $2600.00 to pay off her charge card! they IM each other but not on a website. he says all the hallmark crap and has a daughter who lives in England with HIS mother because his wife left them....blah blah. i just cannot believe he sent her a cashier's check for that much money and that he also had his new debit card and PIN sent to her to so she can withdrawl money for him.
  • Please if anyone can explain this to me...why he would send MY FRIEND that much money...i need to explain this to her...she believes he's her real prince charming.
  • friend see posting under BTA and any think to do with Nigeria scam artist

Report them to the site where your freind found this scum of the earth
    Are u in the States I know they have departments over there that take these matter seriously.

Regards
    Angeleyess
  • It's happening int he UK as well. Please check this link:

http://www.midsummerseve.com/article/online_dating_scams_419
  • @scotts fallen angel: Have you considered pressing charges or went to the police abou this? Beacuse it seems my mom has been chatting with the same person (via Skype) and sent him money too. Every detail you described fits perfectly. Name Scott Jackson, daughter Karina, dead wife, works on oil rigs etc. there were other details that varied slightly, but overall it has to be the same person. If you had any additional information about him that you could share with us, we would appreciate it. You can contact me via email if you will - petia.zemanova@email.cz. I know the chance of getting him is near impossible, but still.. The nerve that this guy has of using someone, building their trust when the only intention is using them and getting their money...would smack him in the face, or worse.
    If you decide to contact me, I will be really grateful. Thanks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged