Marriage in Tunisia
  • I'm meeting my Algerian fiance in Tunisia and we're staying at a resort. First since we aren't legally married yet will it be a problem the travel agent said it wouldn't. I'm a Canadian permanent resident with a Caribbean passport and him his Algerian passport. We though maybe we would do our legal marriage in Tunisia instead of Algeria in the Sahara like planned since we would be on vacation and it could be our honeymoon also. What documents to we need if we can even get married in Tunisia or should we just wait for our marriage authorization in Algeria. All the information is already greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • Janet - the law states here that a foreigner and a Tunisian who are not legally married may not share a hotel room. I don't know if this extends to other Islamic country citizens who travel to Tunisia but my guess is that it might so you must check with the hotel that they allow this. You will need a lot of documentation if you wish to marry in Tunisia. You will need:

Original birth certificate not older than 21 days before the date of your marriage - this must be translated into French/Arabic
    Certificate of no impediment - this is from your embassy stating that there is no cause that you cannot be married - translated
    Passport and translation of bio page again translated
    If you have been married previously you will need the original of your divorce - translated

Your fiance will need at the least:

Original birth certificate
    ID card
    Family book (if that's possible)

I don't actually know what else he will need. He may need to contact the Tunisian embassy to find out exactly. The birth certificates here always are updated for life events such as marriage, divorce etc so he needs to check.

You will both need blood tests prior to your marriage. As he is closer to Tunisia than you he will need to find a notaire or a municipality that is willing to perform the marriage. Please also note that a legal marriage is just the signing of a contract between both of you. It's not religious or like a western wedding per se. If you want to have a party or something then you need to arrange that as well.

Good luck
  • Salemo alaykum,
    I 'am Tunisian citizen ,resident in Nabeul. In May Inshallah ,me & my fiancee(Lithuanian resident in UK) will marry.the step right next wedding,it will the registration of our marriage in her mother country "Lithuania",so after that i want to bring her over here in Tunisia to live with me .i just want to know what steps she need to do later before her coming to settle with me in here? will she need settlement Visa in Tunisia?i hope that it will be more easy,cause i no want her to stay away from me more time.
    looking forward for a quick answere.
  • Thanks Lesley very informative. I know the religious isn't sufficient anymore but performing the fatha was important and we would of done it regardless. Its a lot of paper work and I think we will just wait for our authorization in Algeria to sign the act of marriage so we will just enjoy our vacation. Also even if it's a resort in Hammamet they might not allow us? Thanks again for your help.
  • Alayk salem Firas - inshallah mabrouk! Nheb Nabeul!! I am not sure of your fiancee's home country requirements as to the registration, however, she will be able to find this out in Lithuania. It is easy for her to be here with you. She can organise her visa prior to coming then you must get her carte de sejour at your local police station. This will be for 3 months and then you ask for another and they give it to her for 2 years. After this she can become Tunisian citizen if she wishes as she is married to a Tunisian or you can just keep renewing her carte de sejour every 2 years........it's easy.

Does she know all the documents she need to bring for the marriage?

Fil amen
  • Yaayshek lesely ^_^
    so you can speak Tunisian well ,that's very nice .it is amazing when you see s.one from other culture speaking Tunisian . My fiancee can speak well Tunisian ,cause along 2 years since we meet each other,i am teaching her Tunisian ,now she can speak very well with my family and she can deal with all sociaty arround .that make me so proud of her.any way i get little bit out of the topic ;).
    Honestly she want to become totally tunisian ;) and i want that too so much.I'am happy that everything will go for us in easy way.
    About the documents for our wedding,you have no idea how the both authorities(Tunisia & Lithuania) make us tired . we spend almost the whole year preparing for these documents.but any way el hamdu li allah that we finally have our paper ready and well legalized. hhhhhh the day when we finally recived our documents,we were happy like we won such a huge amount of money ;). in all ways thank you again Lesely for your precious information,i would be honored if you and your husband come to assist our wedding in 11 May
  • Barakalowfik ayshek Firas - and your English is v v good. I do know about the authorities belehee!! But I think easier for us as we have a notaire as a family friend. Humdullah that you now have everything and inshallah it will go well. It would be lovely to assist at the wedding but you know we live so far away. you can email me the details and we can see how we can manage this: lesley.khedhiri@hotmail.com We have been living in Bizerte for some years but have our farm in Cebalat near Sbeitla (Sufeytla) and semaine prochaine inshallah we move down permanently. Firas it sound like you are a good one and not a bezznezz boy - they give all the rajeel here bad names, so I wish you both happiness and joy for a long life together.
  • Hello ,
    I'm Tunisian citizen and I wanna marry with my lithuanian girlfriend , in the first we planned to get marry in Lithuania but it seems like impossible because as we found we need registration in Lithuania and if I get Visa for 1 month in Lt it won't be really enough of time to finish everything (because we can marry only after 30days after registration, moreover I think they won't let to extend my visa because "marriage" is not an illness, war or any other serious reason...), so we decided to get marry in Tunisia. My question - does she need registration in her mother country ? and what is easier to get marry in Tunisa or to get marry in Lithuania , we can't wait to be together again since our meeting in Turkey 1 year ago !
    - Congratulations to Firas for the marriage ( it's good to know that I'm not the only Tunisian who will marry Lithunian girl :) !! ) " and pls Firas , can you email me : houssemch@hotmail.fr to help me for some information? Thanks in advance "
    -Lesley thanks for the first comment !
  • Mabrouk Houssem - I hope you will get in touch with Firas as he has good information for you. I don't know if your fiance needs to register her marriage, however, for other countries it is not necessary as it is considered a foreign marriage and if legal under the laws of the country in which the marriage took place then is legal in the country of citizenship, however, she should be able to get this information fairly quickly
  • Thanks Lesley again for your answer and YBEREK FIK !! ,I hope Firas will help me with some information , and my future wife will ask more about the registration for the marriage however they don't let to register until we both are present for it !! and i wish we will find the easiest way to be together ...
  • i am tunisian girl and i want to marry an indian guy who lives in uae but the problem he is already married is it leagal in tunisia??
  • I am from the U.S.A. and my fiance is from Algeria. We want to marry in Tunisia. Is there any reason why we can't go forward with our marriage? Also, I'd appreciate any help on the subject matter, as in what do I need to do to prepare for our marriage there? Thank you so much in advance. Respectfully, Victoria L
  • Hello i am Tunisia and i wanna get married with my Lithuanian girlfriend resident in Ireland please can someone help me about information for this marriage
  • Hi yayabob

The first and most important thing your wife needs is a certificate if non impediment  CONI also known as a Nulla Osta  ( this is a legal certificate that says she is free to marry) if  and if your wife lives in Northern Ireland she must make an appointment at the register office. If your fiance is from southern Ireland (Eire) she will get the the CONI from here Consular Section, Dept of Foreign Affairs, St Stephens Green, Dublin 2. Phone +353-1-4082568 9.30-12.30 Mon-Fri
    You also require proof from Tunisia that you are free to marry.
    Here is a list of documents for both of you.
    Wifes Birth Certificate dated within 3 months, divorce papers  or death certificate of previous spouse (if applicable),
    certificate of no impediment, 
    Medical Certificate This is a medical certificate establishing eligibility to contract marriage. This certificate must have a maximum validity of two months at the time of marriage. Each party must be free of any contagious diseases (primarily tuberculosis and syphilis), alcoholism and mental illness. The City Hall in Tunis or all other cities will provide this. . All doctors practicing in Tunisia are authorized to perform these medical examinations.
    Your wifes documents must be translated into French or Arabic.You will find more information at your local municipality marriage office.
    If you need more iassistance let me know

• Does  a Tunisian Man need a passport to enter into the US embassy of Tunis??
  • You need government-issued ID.
  • He has his Photo Id is that good enough?

• That should be fine, although it's a good idea to have paperwork explaining your reason for visiting the embassy as well.
  • Yes I made the appointment we are going to get married so I am hoping that we can do everything there and marry in his City. 
  • hello 
    my name is Faycel, im Tunisian man, inshallah i will get married in June 2014; so i need to ask about all the information to need for all the papers for to get married, another thing, for the no-impediment did UK Embassy in Tunis need the no-impediment applied from uk with legalised to Service of the Foreing Affairs or not or only the stamp of the Register Office can enought for to take permission from UK Embassy in Tunis for to get married? same thing for the Decree of the Divorce? so  it is compulsory for the notice of no impediment to have an apostille stamp on it? thank you. regards 
  • If your fiance lives in the UK she must apply for the Certificate of No Impediment ( CONI ) at her local register offices and it takes approximately 16 days to be issued and cost about £35. She calls the register office and makes an appointment.they registrar will tell her what documents to bring.

The CONI does not need an apostille because on her arrival in Tunisia before the wedding you and your fiance should go to the Consular section of the British Embassy who will translate her documents.

Theses are the documents you both require to marry in Tunisia.
    Wife's Birth Certificate dated within 3 months, divorce papers  or death certificate of previous spouse (if applicable),
    Medical Certificate This is a medical certificate establishing eligibility to contract marriage. This certificate must have a maximum validity of two months at the time of marriage. Each party must be free of any contagious diseases (primarily tuberculosis and syphilis), alcoholism and mental illness. The City Hall in Tunis or all other cities will provide this. . All doctors practicing in Tunisia are authorized to perform these medical examinations.
    Your wifes documents must be translated into French or Arabic.You will find more information at your local municipality marriage office.
    Good luck

• thank u so much Alethia, i went to City Hall here in my city and they told me that's all the paperwork don't have maximum validity more than 25 days, is that right? 
  • Alethia i called the UK Embassy here in Tunis and they told me that's the certificate of no-impediment does need to be apostille it or legalized from Service of Foreign Affairs. 
  • I did say in my first post that the Certificate of no impediment  DOES NOT NEED AN APOSTILLE. 
    In my first post I said that usually British citizens go to the Consular section of the British Embassy to translate their documents.

I am not sure what city hall told you about 25 day validity. I suggest you go to your local marriage office as things do vary in Tunisia from office to office.
  • hi Alethia :)
    did u know something about tunisian will marry to icelandic ladie what i or we should do :) and thx :)
  • The procedure for a Tunisian citizen to marry an Icelandic citizen in Tunisia is the same as if the Tunisian was marrying any other European.
    Go to your local marriage office in Tunisia and check what you will need as it seems requirements differ between various towns.
    Your fiance will require a Certificate of non impediment from Iceland to show she is free to marry. She can contact  the following department for more information
    Sýslumaðurinn í Reykjavík (The Reykjavik District Commissioner)
    Skógarhlíð 6
    105 Reykjavík
    Iceland
    Tel.: 354 569 2480
    Fax.: 354- 562 4870
    E-mail: gifting@syslumenn.is

Wife's Birth Certificate dated within 3 months, divorce papers  or death certificate of previous spouse (if applicable),
    Good luck

• thanks Alethia :) it was Nice from u :)
  • Hi, I'm from the United States my fiance lives in Tunisia, what is the easiest way to be with him so that we can get married, ether it be here in the United States or Tunisia? Where do I start and what are the steps to take?
  • The easiest way is for you to go to Tunisia and marry there as it is very difficult for your fiance to obtain a visa for the US. Once you are married you can apply for your husband to join you in the US.

Here is the information from the US Embassy in Tunisia http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/marriage-tunisia.html
  • Hello there, im from Tunisia I want to ask about difference age to married my English wife
  • Age difference should be no problem at all,for marriage in Tunisia or for a visa application.
  • Thanks so much alethia, I meet my girlfriend last year in june in hotel when I work she is with me now , shr are here in Tunisia 5 times now , what doucement she need first, please
  • AS your fiancee lives in the UK she must apply for a Certificate of No Impediment ( CONI ) at her local register offices and it takes approximately 16 days to be issued and cost about £40. The CONI demonstrates she is free to marry.

She calls the register office and makes an appointment.they registrar will tell her what documents to bring. It takes approximately 16 days after the appointment with the UK register office for the CONI to be issued.

• Theses are the documents you both require to marry in Tunisia.

Your wifes documents must be translated into French or Arabic. Check with the local register office in Tunisia if a local notary can do this a s it will be cheaper than  the British Embassy and save a lot of time travelling to Tunis.
    Good luck

• Thanks alethia I understand. But please I need to ask you when my girlfriend invite me to visit her in England , I can go ? What doucement I need to get visa?
  • A visit visa for the UK is very difficult. You need to apply for a general visit visa, which would give you six months in the UK.

You need to show you have a job in Tunisia
    You have money to pay for your flight and to support yourself
    You must show you have commitments in Tunisia eg a family that you support, house land etc
    That you will return to Tunisia before your visa expires.
    You can not apply for a marriage visa from the UK so do not attempt to do that if you are granted a visit visa.;
  • I understand thank you
  • Hello,
    Im married with Lithuanian girl who live permanently in UK and i would like to know which steps we need to do and how i can to apply for my visa and which document i need?? 
    Thanks..
  • You need to apply as the spouse of an EEA national who is exercising treaty rights (living and working) in the UK.

The documents you require are these:-

1.Marriage certificate
    2. Wedding photos
    3.Proof of your wife's employment - letter from employer, 6 months wage slips, 6 months payslips that show your wife's salary going into bank
    4. Proof of  your wifes accommodation in UK,for example tenancy agreement, utility bills (gas, electric, telephone or water) Council tax bill.
    5. Evidence you keep in contact,with your wife, for example phone bills, emails, whatsapp conversations or skype conversations printed out.

You need to apply on line at https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ there is no fee for EEA applicants or their dependents. You should be granted a 6 month visa to enter the UK once in the UK you must then make a second application EEA2 which cost £55 and you will be granted a five year visa. 

One month before the five year visa ends you must apply for permanent residence. One year after you are granted permanent residence you can apply for British citizenship.

Please be aware that for you to obtain permanent residence your wife must work for the five years (part time is ok) she can take maternity leave or sick leave but if she fails to work for the five years you will not be granted permanent residence. This is because you are dependent upon her living and working in the UK if she does not work she is not exercising treaty rights.

This is not an easy application and your wife might need to seek legal advice with the application.

• That's so sweet and nice from you miss Alethia, im so thankful for you..:) sorry but i wanted to ask one more question : did she have to registered our marriage in UK or we have to do something else before apply my visa ? it's better to work with special lawyer on those questions ? Thanks again :)
  • You do not need to register your marriage in the UK. Tunisian weddings are legally recognised in the UK.
    The procedure I explained above is exactly what you do. If your wife can afford to take legal advice it would be good. Where does she live in the UK?
  • she live in London, she already gone to some solicitor but she just lose her money for small information and they not help.. 
  • Ask your fiancee to contact me at www.astonlawpractice.com
  • Ask your fiancee to contact me at astonlawpractice.com
  • how she can contact you and how much its can be cost till i have my visa ?
  • I just gave you my website, all my contact details email, telephone, fax etc are on astonlawpractice.com 

• I am a bona fide lawyer and to quote fees on an internet forum would be unprofessional. As with any lawyer fees are discussed in private with the client, just ask your fiancee to contact my office.
  • I suggest your fiance gets in touch by email or over the phone. That way she can discuss the specifics of your problem and see if Alethia can help you. There's only so much personal information you want to post on the internet!
  • Hi Alethia
    i hope u r in a good health
    i wanna ask u a question and i hope i can find the answer
    my gf from iceland she is with me in tunisia she bring all the papers to marry here but when we go to marry that say i need to have permission to marry how is that? from where i can have it
  • Hi Kamal.
    Without knowing exactly what was said to you it is difficult. Did you go to the notary and obtain a notarised certificate that you were free to marry? How old are you? Did the marriage office not explain what papers you need? You need to go back and ask what documents you need and why. Then I can help you further

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion