Best time to travel to Thailand
  • Hi, I want to travel to Thailand over the next six months or so, when is the best time to travel to Thailand. I am thinking about spending about three weeks there, a few days in Bangkok, some time up in the north, trekking, Chiang Mai, etc, then a week or 10 days on a beach. Is there a monsoon season, or times to avoid? Thanks. Tom
  • Best time to travel depends on your requirements and where in Thailand you are planning on visiting
    If you want to go when it's busy, over Xmas and New Year period is extremely busy and it is high season and accommodation is expensive at this time. Weather in Gulf isnt great either but West Coast is amazing!
    March - April is also very hot in Thailand and there is an annual water festival because of the heat... Rates for accommodation are cheaper from the last week in Jan to this point aswell.
    Monsoon season is roughly from May - Oct/Nov depending and so rates are low during this period and tourisim is down- It is howevery good weather in the Gulf of Thailand.
    Hope this helps, it's hard to say without knowing what you are after and when.
    Have a great time- Thailand is great all year round -One place ive gone back to many times.
    Check out this weather in Thailand page for comprehensive month-by-month information.
  • hai,

i'm planning to travel to Bangkok - Phuket next week. Do u need to bring umbrella or raincoat? Thanks.
  • yes! always a good idea to bring a lightweight waterproof jacket to Thailand. Wouldnt bother with an umbrella though - too much hassle to carry around.
  • thinking of going to bangkok july/august 2010

is it likely to rain all day or is it short showers then hot again??

am sure its still very busy and all the bars and hotspots open??

cant wait!!
  • I was in thailand this summer around july, and it is very hot! Mostly humid. It is rainy season though, and mostly every day it rained, usually in the afternoon. It would rain veryyy heavily but it never lasted that long, you can usually predict when it will start and stop. Bring an umbrella and a light rainjacket.
  • is it still as busy with tourists?? am not going for a sun tan so am sure a'll cope lol just wanted to know if it rains all day every day, would hold off to november if that's the case!! as long as its nice most of the time a'll be happy!!
  • Refers to having your p/port validity 6 months clear before the date of entry to their country.
    it always advicable to have e valid travel documents whilst abroad just in case and to avoid nasty moments and saves time too.
  • Where? When?

Wherever you travel in the world, it is important to get the timing right. Not knowing about a country’s seasons and possible weather conditions can turn your holiday into a nightmare. Likewise, gathering some basic details about what to expect will help you make the right decisions about where and when to go.

As far as the best time to travel to Thailand is concerned, there are no absolute extremes. If you can avoid the rainy season (July to October), it would probably be best, but if you can’t, the rain isn’t permanent – it comes in bursts and cools things down after it has gone!
    The weather in Thailand is reasonable most times of year, although it certainly gets hot during the summer! November through February are the coolest times of year and there is certainly less rain then than at other times in the year. However, Thailand is a big country with a diverse landscape. There is somewhere to visit whatever time of the year you visit the kingdom.
  • Hi,

IM going to be in Thailand from 13th-24th November. Was thinking spending first day in bangkok, then sleeper train down to islands then hopefully have enough time for 1/2 nites in Pattaya before flying home. Would this be rushed or possible? Are there eastern and western islands, and which would have the best (hottest/least rain) weather? Any help would be greatful!

Joe
  • Hello,
    I have never traveled anywhere but mexico before... lol and me and my friend wanna go to thailand for 2 months... does anyone have any comments on when we should go and where are the best places to party? were 2 white chicks... and we also would like to go to Koh phi phi because i love the movie the beach and wanna go there... haha.. but ya that would be great thanks...

Jenn
  • Looking for the best time to go to Thailand? Wherever you travel in the world, it is important to get the timing right. As far as Thailand is concerned, there are no absolute extremes. If you can avoid the rainy season (July to October), it would probably be best, but if you can't, the rain isn't permanent - it comes in bursts and cools things down after it has gone!

The weather in Thailand is reasonable most times of year, although it certainly gets hot during the summer! November through February are the coolest times of year and there is certainly less rain then than at other times in the year. However, Thailand is a big country with a diverse landscape. There is somewhere to visit whatever time of the year you visit the kingdom.
  • HELP !!!! -

We are completely confused as to the seasons in both Bangkok and Hua Hin, due to the different definitions on various websites.
    We are going to Bangkok and Hua Hin the last 2 weeks in May and whilst we don't mind rain occasionally (we know it is not like UK rain :-)) we are complete sun worshippers so ideally when in Hua Hin would like the majority of the day to be sunny as afterall we are there to chill.
    Some websites state that May is the Hot season but I do not get then why it would also have a high rain percentage when May it is not technically the 'Monsoon season'.
    Does anyone have any advice please?
    Thankyou
    Me
  • The rainfall in Hua Hin in May is around 120 mm. This is relatively rainy - only October and November are rainier. However, as far as I know, most of the rainfall is caused by afternoon showers typical for the Tropic and thus most mornings/days should be bright. May is on average the hottest month in Hua Hin, with the daytime temperatures exceeding 30 degrees celcius. Bangkok has nearly the same climate as Hua Hin, though slightly rainier and hotter.
  • We are going to Phuket either the end of April or The second weekl of June. Any advise as to which time would have beeter weather and calmer seas?
  • i will go to bangkok,puket & pataya the first week of june

can u tell me weather.

deepak
  • Hi, I am planning for my first anniversary trip to Thailand in the 3rd week of June, is the right time to travel? Plz suggest.
  • Hi, Im planning on a 2 week trip to Thailand in Aug'10.....is the political unrest still on...what is the status....can I go on & plan my visit...pls suggest...
  • Hi Everyone!
    Me and my boyfriend are going on a 6 month trip to thailand end of August.
    I have a few questions if anybody could answer them!
    1. Same as Varun- Does anyone know about the political situation in Bangkok? Is it safe to go there?
    2. Anyone got an quirky-non tourist like attractions/places they've been that they would recommend?
    3. Ive heard in thailand if your with someone but not married you cant physically give and public displays of affection or sleep in the same accomodation room/bed. Is this true?

Thanks!

Hoping to meet some travellers while were there!

Hayley
  • Hi, The political situation in Bangkok has been resolved since the surrender of the red shirts on the 19th May, although with upcoming elections it is always worth checking out the FCO website to see what they advise. The FCO also dictate whether you insurance is still valid so make sure you check you policy before travel.
    Saying this though, I know many people who were in Bangkok during the unrest and most were largely un affected. Bangkok is a big place and the actual trouble was located in one small area. You would be very un lucky to be effected.

If you’re looking for an island which is less popular and has more charm and beauty than any of the other islands, head to Ko Hai on the west coast. You can get a sleeper train from BKK to Trang and ferry from Trang to Ko Hai or any of the surrounding little islands. Here you can relax with just palm trees, white sandy beaches largely empty of tourists and clear blue water ideal for snorkelling.

In regards to non married couples, some remote villages and guest houses might be a little funny about it but generally they are used to western ways. Out of respect does it harm you to pretend you’re married.

Have fun!
  • Wow... I remember last time I went there it was amazingly fun! RAINY not rainy, hot , too hot, too much, I loved it all! I mean it' was a different experience and I quite enjoyed what I did there though sometimes it was too much and I lost control. I flew there with no worries about my budget, right? lol I ended up quite broke and lucky enough I flew with www.cheapairlines.com that I got to get home! lol Yep, trekking was fun down south and sea canoeing was quite a thrill. I love the food there though it was quite spicy for me! I love the people, they are tooooo friendly, I dont find them here where I live and that's probably why I might move to Thailand. I find the weather quite hot and humid, I had difficulty adjusting myself a bit the first few days but I got a hang of it. I love Chiangmai but not the nightlife. I love temples and Doi su thep! Yall have got to see it!!! I love the waterfall in Mae hong sorn! I love rafting and I love the bed and breakfast there! Cheap but quite nice... TUKTUK.. lol You have got to try!! Something new to me... Elephant riding was quite an expereince... Banana boat was new..lol Jst have fun with no worries, believe me! Thailand...no worries!!!
  • Thailand is a great place to travel at any time of year, but it does have some specific climate zones. Generally speaking, the driest months are December to May, ideal for all types of activities in both north and south.
  • am traveling to thailand in May for two weeks. is it safe because am worried about earthquake.planning to stay few days in bangkok and rest in hua hin.
  • Hi, I will be in Thailand on April 8- May 4,2011. Can anybody help me to reccomment the nice place to travel ? I am looking for northeast and the beach and maybe in Sukhothai. Is it good a good time for me to travel there?

Thank.
  • I am going to thailand particularly bangkok next week april 12-16 2011. May I know what is the weather then? Thank you.
  • Hi,I'll be traveling to Thailand with my parents and daughter on April 21-May 20,2011.I sure hope not much rain in May because the monsoon season start and hope to check out Laos too!So,come and join our family for a fun trip to Thailand.....the country where I was born,but grew up in the USA!:):):)
  • Hi,

can any one tell me how safe it is to travel in thailand alone..I am due to fly out to Phuket in June..staying teher six weks..I haent booked my hotel or anything yet as I ma thinking fo travelling places to places..spend A WEEK IN EACH SIDE OF THAILAND..LOL
  • Dear Dazzy
    I'm Thai I know the method which you travel in Thailand alone. you can tell me at pp_peer@hotmail.com
    bye bye
  • Hello,

I intend going to Thailand first week in July... how is te weather during this time... very raining... I see that the monsoon peeriod is during June - October.. Will it still be a pleasant experience? I really want to go to Thailand...
  • Hi Everybody... if you want to spent your vacations in Thailand then don't forget to visit Phuket one of the best place to visit. I visited Phuket last week with my family, The weather is awesome and as well the tourist places....

If you want further querry regarding Phuket or Thailand pls reply to this post
  • Thailand  is one of the best tourism spots to spend our vacation. Pattaya is one of the best tourist cities in Thailand. It has a long and wide Beach. There are many Restaurants, Candos which are very cheaper and convenient for the visitors. There are many entertaining programs and night clubs and the festivals are celebrated at very high extent. The  prices are also affordable and one of the best ways of entertainment is provided here especially during holidays and weekends.
  • Looking for the best time to go to Thailand? Wherever you travel in the world. it is important to get the timing right.As far as thailand is concerned, there are no absolute extrems. If you can avoid the rainy season.
    it would probably be best.
  • I,m a tourist by profession and explore many countries yet along with Thailand.Its a very beautiful country and very romantic places are there located in Thailand.I love beaches and wish to spend my all life on these beaches.I think the best time to travel to Thailand is in April or May because the weather is very charming there and people usually come in these months.Its a best time to travel and i am also visited Thailand in May,I really enjoyed it.
  • Gee I really don't know what you might be interested in tom . But thailand is a pretty decent place. There are a lot of things to see . You should check this out so you could decide on what you want to experience in thailand www.phunawa.com/blog/whens-best-season-explore-thailand/
  • January to March is the Peak Season in Thailand to travel. Humidity is at its lowest for the year and temperatures are slightly lower than normal averaging around 32° from Bangkok southwards. In the north the temperature can drop much lower overnight but during daylight hot sunny days are the norm.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged