Passport Question - do I have to leave after 90 days in Schengen countries
  • Awesome for this forum. I am great to read all the comment over here.

    I am a Malaysian(3rd country nation). I been travel to Austria follow the rules "90 days out of a total of 180 days" on last year May 2011 to Aug 2011(90days) and then now Mar2012 to May 2012.(90 days).This is because my husband (i.e: Malaysian) and he is working over here almost 5 years and holding the " Rot-Weiss-Rot-Karte plus".

    My 90days will be due on 30.05.2012, he have decided to let me stay longer with him in Austria(maybe more than 6 month). I have no idea what should i do and what kind of visa shall i apply because currently i am away from my home country (i.e: Malaysia). I am not sure whether those visa/permit i can apply in Austria?

    i wish someone can help me on this. You help is much appreciated. Danke!!
  • For Italy then 90 days there and then 90 days out before able to return for 90 days?

    My daughter will be studying there; am I able to be there from August to May?

  • If I have been in Germany for 80 days and fly back to New York for 2 weeks can I return to Germany for another 90 days?
  • Hi, Glenn.
    As what i am understand you can only stay another 10 days more when you back to Germany again. It's because of "90 days out of a total of 180 days" rules.
    Example :
    01.01.20112 ur passport stamped in Germany, you stay until 28.02.2012 ( total 59 days) then you go back to New York on 28.02.2012. 90 days - 59 days = 31 days balance. So, maybe you come back again on 01.04.2012 then will due on 01.05.2012.(02.05.2012 consider overstay 1 day). 90 days IN (any of EU country, and 90 days OUT (non-EU) then you can only come back again to any of EU country.In another words, 180days (6 months, you only can stay max 3 months in any EU country).

    In 1 year (12months) you can stay max is 6 months but not continuously. It is 6 months (stay 3 month then you have to go out EU country for 3 months).

    I hope my information can provide you the right answer.
  • Hi,
    I am an Australian who has been living in Belgium for the past year on a residence permit. My permit expires in August, but I'd like to make use of my 90-day visa-free schengen rights. So, if I leave Schengen for a day before my permit expires, and then re-enter, does this entitle me to 90 days stay here on my tourist passport?
  • Here is an example of how it works guys.

    Day 1 - January 1st you arrive in a Schengen Zone country such as Germany for example. From January 1st (Day 1) till midnight on June 29 (Day 180) you are only allowed to stay in the Schengen zone for a maximum of 90 days in that 180 day period.

    If you stay for longer than 90 days in that period, you will have broken the visa regulations. You may be caught when you eventually try to leave, or you may be caught when you next try to re-enter (when you try to re-enter, passport control will be able to see computer records showing how long you had stayed in the Schengen Zone when you last visited).

    Now, Say you arrived in a Schengen Zone country such as Germany on Jan 1 (day 1) and stayed till Jan 30 (day 30). On Jan 30, you leave and go to the UK for 21 days. Then you want to return to the Schengen Zone. When you re-enter the Schengen Zone, you can only stay for up to another 60 days in the 180 day period that started when you first entered back on Jan 1. The 180 day period will end on Jun 29, and no matter how many times you leave the Schengen zone, you must leave before Jun 29 or else you will be in breech of the visa conditions.

    If you leave on or before Jun 29 (and have not stayed in the Schengen Zone for more than 90 days in that period between Jan 1 and Jun 29) then you can return to the Schengen Zone on Jun 30 and then get 'a new 180 day period' whereby you can stay legally for 90 days over the next 180 days.

    So to understand. the 180 day period starts when you first arrive in the Schengen Zone. If you then leave the Schengen Zone after 30 days (for example) and then come back in 5 days later (for example), you do not get a new 90 days of stay or a new 180 day period.

    Now the rule is a little confusing here, but hope I can clear something up easily. You arrive in Germany (Schengen Zone) on Day 1 (Jan 1). You have to leave by day 180 (Jun 29) or 90 days (whichever comes first). But stay you arrived Jan 1 and stay for 30 days (till Jan 30). You leave and do not return within the next 90 days since you left on Jan 30 (the day you last left). So, say you then come back to Germany (Schengen Zone) on Jun 1, you will now get a new 180 day period within which you can stay for a maximum of 90 days. This means, that if you stay away from the Schengen Zone for more than 90 days, then you will get a new 180 day period within which you can stay for 90 days.
  • Hmm in short the number of this will continuously counting until it is done. So better make your time valued so you could enjoy your stay.
  • Hi
    I am an Australian that has a working holiday visa valid for a year. I haany ears
    Many different things regarding the permesso di sorgino .. Permit to stay. What would happen if I didnt get it? I am only in italy for. About 120 days then I'm heading home I'm not going to work I have decided . can any one tell me if I should bother getting the permit? Surly with the visa in my passport I want have any problems about overstaying.
  • Hello!
    I'm an American citizen that will be traveling from Paris to Morocco by walking, train, car, etc., within a 4 week time frame. I will then spend 3 months in Morocco. So the question I have is I want to buy a ticket for 4 months. I arrive in Paris October 1st and by November I'll be in Morocco. Will I be allowed in the Schengen zone with a 4 month airline ticket that leaves from Casablanca back to the US? Thank you!
  • Hello,
    I am an American citizen and I have been in Germany for over a year now, with a study visa that expires on the 30th of Sept. 2012. I want to travel some around Europe, so I was wondering if I leave on the 30th of September for example to the UK, can I re-enter Germany or any EU country on the next day as a tourist or do I have to wait 90 day to re-enter? Hope someone can help me because I have E-mailed the immigration offices here in Germany and I have not got a respond! Thank you for your time!
  • Hello!
    My mother and I are here in Italy as a tourist for 90 days, my Schengen Visa will expire on Nov. 22, 2012 and my mother's Schengen Visa will expires on the 9th of Feb. 2013. Suppose to be Nov.5, 2012 is our flight going back to our country. The reason why we are still here in Rome, my mother is indisposed to travel because she is sick. is it possible to ask more days to stay here. Our sponsor is Italian citizen, He will pay 15,000 Euro as penalty if we not leave the country. can i have a response immediately. Thank you.
  • Hello everyone :)
    I'm currently in the US Army and am getting discharged within the next month or so (honorably). My fiance will be stationed in Vicenza, Italy and I plan on moving over there to be with him. I will qualify to work on the army post as a US government civilian employee, but I'm worried that if i don't get a work Visa before i move over there that I will have to come back to the US after 90 days. Do you know if I can get a soggiorno (Italian residence Visa issued to military dependants and Army Civilians) after I'm already in Italy? If thats possible my life will have just become a billion times easier. If not, does anyone have any idea what I need to do in order to stay over there with him for the durration of his orders (approx 2 years). Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you soo much! ... please feel free to contact me at
  • Hello i come in Spain for my holidays i have valid student visa in UK. But i am over stay in Spain now more then one month .m i allowed to go back in UK with out any problum?
  • If you have a student visa for the UK then you should be in the UK studying and not holidaying in Spain. If you have not been attending your place of study then the college /university are required by law to inform the UK Border Agency of your failure to attend. Your visa can then be revoked (officially cancelled)

    So the answer is yes you could have serious problems if you try to enter the UK as you are now in breach of UK immigration law.

  • Alright so my situation is a bit different. Any information would be appreciated.
    I've been in France since May, and will be leaving in August (just under 90 day stay), and heading back to the US.
    Now, I know I have to wait 90 days before reentering the Schengen area...but...does that include connection flights?
    I'm going back to Tunisia in September and will need to connect either in Italy, France, or Germany...which is the Schengen area...but that's UNDER my 90 days OUT.
    I don't want to be stopped at the airport, be slapped with a fine and never be able to enter a Europe again. I'd much rather just move my ticket...
    Thank you!
  • If you only transit in the airport  (do not go outside the airport) you do not require a Schengen visa nor does it count towards the 90 days you are allowed to stay under the Schengen rules. What nationality are you?
  • I have a question that is a bit different, maybe I can get some help here. I am currently in France under my 90 limit (expires 23 september), and I have a Long Stay Student Visa which will begin on September 1st, which requires that I have a stamp of entry on September 1st or later. my question is: How many days before September 1st am I required to leave in order to reenter the Schengen area? Could I potentially leave the morning of the 1st spend the afternoon in UK or Morocco then reenter France in the evening?

    Thanks for the help.
  • Hi iam from india visiting soon portugal by business visa is there will be any problem to work in portugal and over staying in Portugal? ??
    After the visa expired if I get married a European citizen the can I get a permanent residence or a marrage visa
  • Sreenadh you cannot overstay your visa to work in Portugal, that is illegal. Does your fiance live in Portugal?
  • Sreendh you will be breaking the law by overstaying and due to the problems with the economy you will have a hard time as a foreigner to find work. Portuguese employers can be fined a minimum of 2000 Euros for employing an illegal immigrant.

    If you marry a European citizen you would be granted a EEA five year family permit but you would face problems in obtaining that visa if you are illegal.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion