24 hours in Amsterdam
  • I'll be in Amsterdam for 24 hours in September on a layover. I've been to the airport many times, but this will be the first time I actually see the city! Can anyone suggest some things I would be able to do in such a short time period? I fully intend to walk through the Red Light District and have some frites, but what else is fun? Also, is there any place near the city where I can see tulips and windmills, or is that too far out? Love tulips:-)
  • Try the Van Gogh museum or The Rijksmuseum if you are into art, they are both a short bus ride from the city centre. Otherwise go on a canal trip and enjoy some of the good bars before walking around the centre and red light district to soak it up...
  • Unfortunately, the tulip fields can only be enjoyed for about 5-6 weeks in the period April/May, depending on the climate. One alternative is to visit the Aalsmeer flower auction (during week days), were glass-house bred tulips and many other flowers and plants are trades by the thousands all year round. Also visit the famous floating flower market in the city center itself. The Zaanse Schans Windmill Park (the reconstruction of a 17th century industrial area) can be visited daily and is situated at about 20 km of the city. I would recommend you to contract a bus tour or a private tour.
  • Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely check out the floating flower market, that sounds amazing! Can you possibly recommend a good restaurant in Amsterdam that isn't too expensive? (The exchange rate is killing me!)
  • Some reasonably priced but good restaurants:
    Leidseplein area:
    Wagamama, Max Euweplein 10, Japanese
    Gauchos, Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 69, Argentine
    Rancho, Korte Leidsedwarsstraat 73, Argentine
    Porto Carrara, Lange Leidsedwarsstraat 138 (near Leidseplein), or Rimini, right accross the street, good € 5,- pizza
    Dam Square Area:
    La Place, inside V&D department store, Kalverstraat 201-203, selfservice (10 - 20 hrs)
    La Place, inside the publis library, Oosterdokskade 143, selfservice (10 - 22 hrs)
    Especiallygreat for lunch, first print current La Place discount coupons here: http://www.laplace.nl/coupons.html
    New Season, Warmoesstraat 39, Chinese
    Ghandi, Damrak 54, Indian
    Ocha, Binnen Bantammerstraat 1, Thai
    New King, Zeedijk 115, Chinese
    Nam Kee, Zeedijk 111, Chinese
    Bird, Zeedijk 77, Thai
    A Fusion, Zeedijk 130, Chinese/Japanese
    Gauchos, Spuistraat 3, Argentine

€ 1,- Breakfasts in Hema department stores (between 9-10):
    Kalverstraat 212
    Kalverstraat 208
    Reguliersbreestraat 20
    Nieuwendijk 174-176
  • Anya, have a look at the wordtravels.com Amsterdam travel guide for more information on what to see and do in Amsterdam - it is a really well written and up to date guide to the city!
  • Thanks for the tips everyone! I had a fun day in Amsterdam, though I was very sleepy:-) Luckily a friend was available to show me around. A couple of tips:

-Get a city map from one of the tourist shops near the train station in town. Very worth it for navigating the streets and squares.
    -The major art museums are all located in 'museum square', making them easy to visit in a bunch.
    -If you have a foreign smartphone or a tablet, take advantage of the free wifi available at nearly every cafe and bar in the city.
  • If you are interesting in the art then try the Van Gogh museum or The Rijksmuseum.I think you can like this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion