Possible scam
  • I have been chatting to a lady from Ghana and sent her money for a plane ticket to visit me in Germany. On the day she was due to fly she said she was now told that she must pay $1100 to the Ghana Airport Authority which was necessary for all Ghaneans travelling abroad. I finally agreed and paid 8 months ago. She still has not come and just this week she sent me a copy of the receipt which I fear is a forgery.
    Does anyone know if this is a genuine requirement for natives travelling abroad?
  • Gee, unfortunately this sounds more like a scam. I am African myself and would probably suggest you call your loca Ghananian embassy. They might be able to give you the right information...On the other hand its highly unlikely that an african would turn down an opportunity to travel to Europe. She might be honestly trying to visit you but having problems obtaining the visa. I hope everything works out for you mate. ghanapoliceservice.getafricaonline.com / ghanapolice.info- THIS CAN HELP
  • BEWARE OF SCAMS IN NIGERIA. MET A GUY WHO SAID HE LIVED IN VIRGINIA, WE MET ON WHERE SENIORS MEET. HE PROFESSED UNDYING LOVE. WIFE DIED 8 YEARS AGO. HAS 20 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. THEY SAID THEY LEFT FOR NIGERIA ON FRIDAY NIGHT, HAVEN'T HEARD FROM SAM. I FINALLU WROTE TO SEE IF THEY WERE SETTLED IN, AND DAUGHTER WROTE BACK TO SAY THEY HAD BEEN MUGGED. ATTACHED PHOTO OF X-RAY OF BROKEN FEMUR. ASKED ME TO SEND 3000.00 DOLLARS SO HE COULD GET LEG OPERATED ON. THEY HAD STOLEN HIS CREDIT CARDS AND CASH AND THE NECKLACE HE HAD JUST BOUGHT HER. THEY BROKE HIS LEG WITH A SLEDGE HAMMER. YOUR'E THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN HELP US (MOM). ALREADY BEEN SCAMMED BY ITALIAN STUCK IN LONDON. I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. BE AWARE OF A MAN NAME SAM NEIL AND DAUGHTER SANDRA. GOOD LUCK.
  • Wow, I can't believe it! Sending money to someone you don't know! If you are that naive, please send me some money too......I have a dying grandmother who looks after 6 children with aids and they have nothing to eat. It is also raining and their house (no, lets make that their cardboad box) doesn't have a roof. The snakes crawled in and killed their dinner...it was a rat....blablabla. Please send only $500 to help my grandmother. PLEASE, WE ARE SUFFERING
  • Hey guys please i need your help, i dont know where to turn to. I met my nigerian boyfriend online(not a dating site) it was totally coincidental. Started chatting and fell madly inlove. I have spoken to his family they are such beautiful souls and have the greatest karma. He is not rich and is still a student, but has never asked me for any money. The only thing that keeps popping up is the fact that he and his family wants to meet me, so he wants me to travel to nigeria. While we were busy making my travel plans i started looking for visa requirements for nigeria online and came across lots of scam warnings which i never even knew existed. I love this man, he completes me but after reading all these scams i am very afraid of goin to his country,could he loving me be a scam, what will he stand to gain from me goin to his country, is there any success story about dating a nigerian, are all of them really as bad and only in it to scam people? I am so confused because it is causing so much strain on our relationship because we keep arguing about these scams and all he wants is just for me t trust him , will i be safe in nigeria ? Would anyone advise me to go meet him there or rather he come to visit me in o country, i offered to pay for his trip to my country, but he refuse and says he'll rather have me visiting him than me paying 4 him... Help please, is this a typical scam?
  • To all men and women who are contacted by people who say they are living in Ghana or Nigeria, I also have been chatting to a woman who lives in Ghana, at first she was as sweet as sugar and the she asked for enough money for a visa to Australia. I found out through a lot of research that this is just another scam, She told me her friend who works at the Ghana Aviation agency can get her a cheap work visa,she also told me she checked it out with the Ghana Embassy. There is no Ghana Embassy in Ghana. These scams started out in Nigeria, they are commonly known as a 419 scam, they have spread around the world like a Forrest fire and now operate in Ghana,Malaysia,Russia, and even Australia now.Trust me people i have researched this to no end, If you are contacted by anyone from these countries make sure you see them atleast on webcam live. Get there phone numbers and call them,get their address and if you still want to send any money tell them to give you a bank account number in their name and tell them you will put the money in there but get proof first.Check with your own embassies in their country first. There are thousand of people who fall victim to these people and they don't care if they break your wallet or your heart. That's my advise.
  • This one goes out to Chox, Yes unfortunately this does sound like a scam. It is something i heard before and did some research on and what may happen is if you go there to see this man and his so called family once you get there they will more than likely mug you and steel every thing you brought with you including all your banking details and then you will be left in the country with nothing.
    You may also be held by these people against your will and then they will try to ransom you back to your family. Please people remember if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is not, use your common sense and look everywhere on the net for information and don't let these people pull you down with cheap tricks, intimidation in the physical sense or emotionally. You have a brain for a reason so use it but use it wisely please.
  • To Chox: If you are that crazy about him, sooner or later you will have to meet him. If you go out there, remember you are there for a holiday, and not to invest in any businesses or get rich quick schemes, or to rescue any sick or distressed relatives. If it looks like things are heading that way, you need to tell him that you have to ask your parents for the money, because you have just spent all your money on this holiday.

My experience of West African scammers are that they are impatient to find out if you are a sucker as quickly as possible, so that they can anticipate whether to move on to the next fish. If he is a likely scammer, he will start dropping clues quite quickly once you are there. If that happens, dump him and continue the holiday without him. Nigeria is a generally safe country as long as you avoid the Muslim areas and Niger Delta region.
  • ghanapoliceservice.getafricaonline.com / ghanapolice.info Thank You
  • To Gen Insp Agyemang
    Is there any one in the Nigeria police force insteaded in these stories as well?
    I'm planning on going to Nigeria but am a bit concern now about reading this formum. Ive also read on the formums that some offices might be on these scams as well. How do we know who is a true officer of the law and who is not?
    Regards
    Angeleyess
  • Chox
    Can you let me know if you went to nigeria to meet the man and his family?

Regards

Angeleyess
  • Hi everyone,

Here's a link to our guide on how to spot Online Scams and how to avoid them.
  • I am Nigerian and yes there are a lot of people who would scam you or attempt to scam you, the truth is not everyone in Nigeria is like that. As with any society, without any deterrent, crime would prevail. Many times the perpetrators of this act go unpunished and that encourages others to try it out. However, there are millions of genuinely , hard-working people who would rather be slain than scam people off their life savings.

That said, if you are dating a Nigerian online, it most likely a scam. There is a tiny possibility that it is real, but very very slim. Never give money to anyone you never met physically. If the Nigerian is in love with you, let them travel over the Atlantic to meet with you. That's the true commitment to love.

The supposed General Inspector of Ghana above is most likely a scam artist.

Never give out money to anyone in anticipation of some big money money willed to you by your unknown late relative.

To the OP, I'm sorry to break the news but that person you had a relationship with is a scam. You will never see them.

Nigerians are good people. Nigeria is a safe place to travel. There are are 4 and 5 star hotels if you want one. There are beautiful places to visit if you want. There are luxury cabs to take you around wherever you want to. Just like anywhere else in the world. No one attacks tourists as you are always made to believe. . but be careful about a few unscrupulous acts.

Don't give money to people you never met. Don't attempt to make purchases online except with a reputable company. If you have to make currency exchange, do it in a bank. It's safer.

Enjoy your holiday and debunk the myth. Nigeria is a nice place to be.
  • ghanapoliceservice.getafricaonline.com . ghanapolice.info
  • use the bank
    That was a fun! it took me over 4 hours to get my money which was done by the book as the bank did not want to give me the Niara which was mine

Be aware westerns you will have major problems here,

I took USD but they only like large denomations like 100's no use taking smaller not only to pay off the custom officers at the airport

And i used western union to do a tranfer in my name with my spouser too and still had to argue for over 4 hours to get my money

Be warn

DO NOT GO TO NIGERIA
    THERE IS NOTHING WORTH SEEING AND YOU WILL BE RIPED OFF!

Angeleyess

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged