Tips for a weekend in Rome and hotel suggestions
  • Hello- I am planning a long weekend in Rome this Autumn and would welcome tips from locals or recent visitors on where to stay, where to hang out, hotel suggestions, what to see, where to get a good coffee, suggested restaurants for long lunching etc.
  • September is a great time to visit Rome, the weather is slightly cooler but still fantastic, and the streets and bars are less busy than during the peak tourist season. You should things to do in Rome from wordtravels.com. The site has more of the info you need and if you want more insider tips I suggest buying the Luxe Guide to Rome.

Culture buffs may want to buy a Roma Pass (romapass.it) for EUR 23 - valid for 3 days it gives you free admission to the first two museums you visit and discounts on others. The Romas Archaelogia Card (romaturismo.com) also costs EUR 23 and is valid for 7 days. It gives you access to the Colosseum, Baths of Caracalla and others.

Here are some tips for hotels: intownroma.it; stgeorgehotel.it; crossingcondotti.com; and villalaetitia.com. You can check out the reviews on tripadvisor.

For restaurants, again check out wordtravels.com for some ideas. Remember to book good restaurants in advance and also reconfirm on the day as reservations can sometimes get 'lost'. 10 percent is added to the bill in restaurants and no further tip is expected. Many restaurants don't open on Sundays, likewise shops. Don't tip the taxi drivers either, they won't expect it, but do check the meter as they do diddle...
  • I found this list of tours in Rome:

http://theculturetrip.com/europe/italy/articles/the-eternal-city-top-10-art-and-culture-tours-in-rome/

it includes locally run tours which are much more intimate and personable than some of the bigger tour groups you get

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged