Travel to Myanmar/Burma
  • Can anybody offer advice on whether Myanmar/Burma is currently a safe destination for travellers? It is such an amazing country with so much potential for tourism but it has also suffered long-term political and social turmoil... many travellers are keen to learn if this dream destination is finally stable enough to be a safe option for tourists? If you have travelled in Myanmar, or live there, please share your perspectives on the country.
  • I have a friend who recently travelled to Myanmar and absolutely loved it. I chatted to her about it beforehand and she said she did all the appropriate research into safety etc and found that Myanmar is very safe for tourists (very little crime in the country), so even though it is politically a bit messed its only the locals who suffer under the military regime. Should be totally safe for visitors, so long as you don't get involved in anything political.
  • We have just returned from Myanmar and loved it. To quote the lonely planted guide, the people are everything the military junta are not, warm, friendly welcoming and courteous. The guide is not wrong. Stay away from anything political (and you will be hard pressed to find anything by chance) and you will very soon warm to the people and their traditions.
    It is a beautiful country stil fixed somewhere between the Middle Ages and the 1950s. Enjoy
  • One of the most fascinating aspects of travel in Myanmar is the opportunity to experience a corner of Asia that, in many ways, has changed little since British colonial times. Myanmar, for instance, has yet to be completely overwhelmed by Western clothing. It’s also a country of many incredible and sometimes surreal sites. Contemplate the 4000 sacred stupas scattered across the plains of Bagan. Stare in disbelief at the Golden Rock teetering impossibly on the edge of a chasm. Ride a horse cart past colonial-era mansions.
  • It is now totally safe for tourists. Do not hesitate to pay it a trip. You will love it for sure.
  • No doubt about the issue of safety, you are really welcoming in this country. My suggestion is to go further with some suggestion on this forum or tripadvisor, you will have more reference for a trip from budget to luxury option

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged