Traveling in Zimbabwe: safety issues?
  • does any one know what are the traveling conditions in Zimbabwe,these days?

costs,transport,safety,cholera ?

thanks
  • Food is available but not cheap, a basket of basic groceries in a supermarket costs about US$100. The cholera outbreak's 60 000 cases had halved by March 2009 but it's still a real threat. If you avoid large groups and remain cautious, general safety is not too much of an issue. Fuel shortages are still affecting transportation.
  • Can anyone advise if obtaining a visa on arrival was difficult. I am traveling there for a week to work with an aid partner but do not have time to get a business visa. Was considering getting a tourist visa on entry? I am a U.S. passport holder. Any advice would be great.
  • im a zimbabwean/british i go to zim every year bread now costs $1 for 2 loaves diesel at pumps is 85p/ltre petrol $1/ltre $20 is now a lot of money and civil servants are on $100/month racism none one or two reported farm invasions but nothing more i would strongly advise you to go and most zimbabweans speak english i always get my visa at the airport costs $35 need more information 00447938387535
  • Hey all I went to Harare and surrounding areas and it was wonderful. Like all countries it has its problems -- noticeably the spiraling cost of school fees which is keeping the most poor and vulerable children out of the classroom. However, obtaining a visa at the airport was easy, city is clean and people are more than friendly... everyone goes out of their way to help you and/or chat to pass the time of day. The city is clean. It is not really touristy ... and this is nice. Best if you know some locals who can show you around (this is always best!) and check out the sculpture gardens... there are several and there is a heap of quality arm to be appreciated and for a reasonable price you can even take some home!
  • Quality 'art' I meant to say not 'arm'
  • I am wanting to take my wife and 8 year old daughter on a self drive touring holiday of Zim next year. I am firstly tryiong to find out when is the best time to go, then need to know whether fuel is freely available, state of the roads, availability of food, readsonable accomodation etc. We will drive up from CT, visit Matopos, Hwange National Park, Vic Falls (Wouldn`t mind sneaking down to Chobe whilst we are there as well as Rudu), then onto Mana Pools, down via Chimanimani Natiopnal park, visit the ruins, then back into SA.
    I am looking for any info at all.
    Thanks.
  • Hi Richkey,

Zim is in tatters. I was there in 2000 for the Millenium and again in 2008 and I could clearly see/feel the difference. People are downtrodden and you can feel the general malaise affecting the country.

Everything you need is there, but expect fuel delays, very expensive groceries and not much variety in the stores.

Victoria Falls is spectacular as always - but you can't really put a damper on Mother Nature, eh? The resort is looking good, though the atmosphere is somewhat understandably downbeat. Hwange didn't change, still great - we took a self-guided tour and one lioness actually came up and licked my window! What can I say - WONDERFUL!

I didn't have any problems when I was there - I think you should enjoy your trip, just be a bit more guarded than usual - remember a hungry man is an angry man.
  • I am actually going home for Christmas, can't wait really!!! I live and work in the UK.

Understandably the political situation has been very harmful, but I'm hoping that the general upbeat messages form friends and family regarding security, prices and peoples wellbeing are true.

Will have to wait and see.
  • Hey there, I'm going to be travelling into Zim with 4 others in February 2010. As my first time into Africa was wondering what are some of the better places to visit and what the conditions are like at the moment. Any advise would be great. my group is of Australian guys all 23
    Cheers
  • Hi, I am a single, white, Australian woman traveller hoping to spend 2 weeks in Zimbabwe next March/ April. Any advice on safety? I don't really want to join the "package tour" set but I don't want to put myself at risk. I wish to see the Victoria Falls, Do a Safari and see the ancient ruins. Any other suggestions? Thank-you. (I have Zim friends in Australia, should I have someone recommend a guide, family member, friend?)
  • Hi Will

From the looks of things no one replied to your question. With regards to the better places to visit, I guess that depends on what sort of thing you like, for example fishing, game viewing, night life, adreneline sports etc etc. Zimbabwe has so much to offer, get back to me with more info and I will try to point you in the right direction. Have a look at our website about Victoria Falls http://www.victoriafalls-guide.net that give you plenty of information to start with.
  • Hi Lauren

Looks like no one replied to your question either. Zimbabwe is essentially a very safe destination, but travelling as a single girl you have to be careful wherever you go. I wouldn't recommend hitch hicking around or jumping onto unknown buses etc. But if you stick to the main tourist areas like Victoria falls you will be absolutely fine, catch a flight or reputable bus. You can do a lot of your planning before you go and get things booked and you don't need to go on a big package tour either, have a look a our website http://www.victoriafalls-guide.net that will give you loads of information, then contact us if you need any further assistance.
    Regards
    Tony
  • For all those who need to travel to Zimbabwe, please contact us on
    www.afriquesttravel.com We are more than willing to assist.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged