When is the best time to go to Mozambique
  • Hello - Mozambique is high on our wish list of holiday destinations next year - I have looked at the climate charts and see that the weather is pretty good most of the year, but I would like to get advise on the best time to go to Mozambique - can anyone advice? Obviously we are after lots of sun, little rain and not too much humidity. And no gale force winds either. Looking forward to some help on the best time to go, many thanks. J
  • ok, that depends on where you are going and what you are going for - the country is 2000km long. But here is a general guide which I hope helps you decide on the best time to visit. The rainy season runs from December to March, which is summer in Mozambique - and the rains last a little longer in the north of the country. But note that summer can still be a fantastic time to go to Mozambique. The country is fairly protected from tropical storms and cyclones as it lies in the shadow of Madagascar. The rainy season and humidity stops in around April and the dry season runs from June to October - these are the driest months but also the coolest and you will need a jersey and long trousers at night.
  • In August it´s really nice in the north. We had fantastic weather and it just rained once in 4 weeks. Warm but not too hot.
  • I found here very nice and helpful information about Mozambique. Liked your greate efforts mathieu. Really nice work.
  • Just back from Mozambique where I did some glorious diving while visibility was lower than the worst folks living there are used to! Although you may see tons and fancy a heap. It could be a all year dive destination
  • The Mozambique coastline stretches for almost 2,000km, covering
    latitudes from about 11° to 27° South, and has a tropical ocean current
    running north to south along its length for the whole year.

Despite
    this range of latitudes, the whole country broadly follows a southern
    African weather pattern, with the rains falling largely between December and March.

This
    does vary a little between the north and south of the country, with the
    rains lasting a few weeks longer in the north than the south, but the
    pattern is the same. Humidity can be uncomfortably high during this
    period.

Most of Mozambique's rain arrives on moist southeast
    trade winds, but glance at a map to see that it lies in the rainshadow
    of Madagascar. This gives Mozambique a relatively low annual rainfall –
    and a great deal of protection from the tropical storms and the
    occasional cyclone which head towards it during this period.

By around April or May the rains subside, the sun comes out and the humidity drops – better weather spreads gradually from the south to the north.

June to October
    is the dry season, with often perfect tropical weather: clear skies,
    plenty of sun and almost no rain. This is the best time for most people
    to visit Mozambique. Although still tropical, June, July and August
    are Mozambique's coolest months; you'll need a light duvet at night,
    even though the temperature reaches over 30°C by day. During September and October it remains dry as daytime temperatures climb, though it cools down a lot at night.

November
    is a less predictable month of transition. Sometimes the rains start,
    although many days remain sunny and hot. The rains generally start
    earlier in the north of the country.
  • it depend on your interest . where you want to visit and why you're going...
  • It depends on many things including your interests, exactly where you want to visit. According to me best time to visit Mozambique between between December and March. Subsequently Mozambique is principally a beach destination, the weather is ultimately what determines the best time to visit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged