Is Colombia safe for tourists?
  • Is Colombia safe for tourists? All you ever here about is drugs. Is it dangerous to travel there or is it a nice place to vacation? Is Bogota safer or more dangerous than rural areas?
  • I've never been to Colombia, but I have a number of friends who have travelled there, and one or two friends from there. Apparently the larger cities are quite a bit safer than rural areas. You're advised not to use land borders when entering the country - rather fly in and out of Bogota. Cities like Bogota and Cali are great places to visit and you'll be just as safe (or unsafe) as you would be in cities like NYC/London etc...
    I think the main thing is just to be aware of your surroundings at all times and don't allow yourself to get into risky situations. The dangers of drugs, gangs and political instability wont turn you into a target just because you're a tourist.
    The Colombians I've met and the travel experiences I've heard all seem to show that Colombians are extremely welcoming and friendly people and travelling there is lots of fun and will be a great experience. Have a look at the Word Travels Colombia travel guide and The Basics page for more info.
  • I have spent a lot of time in all South American countries, and Colombia is one of the most amazing. Yes they certainly have thier problems, and this is what the media will always love to draw attention to, but the fact that it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been more than makes up for it's other pitfalls.

It is getting safer and safer all the time, and due to the poor reputation that it has for being a dangerous travel destination there are a lot less tourists than other Sth American countries, which = less crowds!
    The government has certain measures in place which make travel throughout regional areas safer. Such as military guards on duty at particular roadside stops so that long distance buses can stop safely in the middle of nowhere for fuel / toilets. The country is doing all they can to improve thier image as a tourist destination to the rest of the world and the Colombians already know what a gem they have - Just them they'll tell you!
    Bogota is your average city - it has safer areas and more dangerous areas. You need to keep your wits about you, but in general I do not beleive that the country needs to be avoided because it is too dangerous - as It certainly isn't and exercising a degree of caution will mean that you get to visit one of the most stunning places on the planet.

Can you tell I Love Colombia? ;-)
  • I've been to Colombia as a tourist - not a backpacker. I felt safe, though very much aware that venturing "off piste" could be very dangerous. Take the advice of locals who will tell you where and when to avoid. For example, the centre of Bogota is fine by day but you might want to avoid walking around certain streets after dark. A bit like Florida.
  • I have visited Medellin several times as my wife is from that city. Medellin has the most beautiful botanical garden, zoo, many parks and museums and other attractions for adults and children. The people are some of the most friendly that I have ever known.
    There are bad places in the city as in any other place but being aware and simply using common sense will get around with no problems. I was amazed at the cleanliness of the city and the proffessionalism of the younger people especially.
    All in all a great place to visit.
  • Colombia is not a safe place. The guerrillas operated in all the zones of the country. Kidnapping is a routinary thing for this criminal organization. The cost of the living is pretty high and the hotels quite expensive. Colombia isnot the right place to have a vacation unless you want to expend the rest of your life kidnapped by the criminal bands.
  • Colombia Republic of Colombia is a country in South America. Colombia borders Venezuela and Brazil on the east, bordering Ecuador and Peru to the south, bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the north, through the Caribbean Sea, and to the west by Panama and the Pacific Ocean. Colombia is the only country in South America, bordering both the Atlantic and Pacific. Colombia is a large water and diverse, th largest 4 Nam America (follows Brasil, Argentina and Peru), with area of ??more than folding seven times New England; double the French; just small more than a bit compared with Arizona, California, Oregon and Washington combined.
  • Colombia is a beautiful country and has lots of things to visit. Use common sense. Dont worry about all the bad things people say about colombia, as I said, as long as you stay alert. Colombia has improved alot and it is much safer than ever before.
  • Great post thanks for sharing......................
  • thnks for your good advice sally and mark .

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged