Ethiopia travel advice, safety concerns?
  • Is it safe to travel to Ethiopia? I'm planning a trip to Africa and have heard mixed reports about Ethiopia. Some people say it's great but other people say it's terrible and dangerous. Who should I believe? Also is it really expensive there?
  • Ethiopia is one of Africa's safest places to visit. Crime against tourists is actually very rare. The real dangers are in road travel when collisions are not uncommon, so I would fly when travelling the tourist circuit rather than use the local buses. As for cost of travelling in Ethiopia, it is extremely cheap, unless you aspire to luxurious eating/sleeping when you wil pay the same rates as you would anywhere in the world. Local food is a couple of dollars a meal, and its delicious, guesthouses are seldom more than $30 night.
  • Thanks for the advice Dave. Ethiopian food is really great and I can't wait to try some authentic street food in the country. I've been told that Lake Tana is beautiful and that the Rift Valley is spectacular, but some people have said that the national parks are a little sparse, do you know if this is true?

I'm trying to decide on an itinerary for a two to three week stay in the country. I've looked at the wordtravels guide to Addis and it is at the top of my list for all its markets and the general vibe as well as some of the old churches. I'd also like to visit some coffee plantations and the Sof Omar Cave and Gondar for its castles. I also want to see the Hyena men in Harar.
    Can you recommend any other places that I shouldn't miss while I'm there.

Thanks.
  • Dear Sir /Madam
    Ethiopia is a country free and safe, the only country that have never be colonaised so ,please don't miss the country before it be come touristic we well help you if you have any quastion about Ethiopia,info@atotoursethiopia.com.et or infoatotours@yahoo.com or 00251911249079 .
    With best regards
    ABERA TOUR OPERATION
  • Rory, apologies, I missed your message from October. If you still need advice please shout. Regardless, Gondor is well worth it, and Harar too for a rather unusual experience. There is a park out there where you can see Ethiopian wolves..
  • HOW MUCH ARE FLIGHTS FROM ADDIS TO THE NORTH AND BACK??
  • I am travelling in Addis Ababa Ethiopia from 26 Sep to 11 Oct. If there are other travellers at that time please contact.
  • @Riggsy - flights are around $150 one way
  • I will be in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) from 26 Sep to 10 Oct 2011. If you happen to be there at that time please contact me. I love company of other travellers. nilame54@yahoo.co.uk
  • I notice the comments here are 2-3 years old. I'd be most grateful if someone could provide updated information on safety concerns. I'm fascinated by descriptions of the land, the people, and the history, but have to admit I'm a bit intimidated by the proximity of Somalia, etc., where Americans are in such disfavor. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
  • Is it safe to work in Ethiopia? I've got an opportunity to work in Ethiopia. Can anyone provide updated information on safety concerns to work in Ethiopia?
  • You can check the US State Departments recommendations here: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1113.html

And the British Foreign office here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/ethiopia

Both seem to have some safety concerns for Ethiopia.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion