Visa and criminal conviction
  • I am looking at doing two cruises next year and the countries visited would be England, France, Scoland, Northern Ireland, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Germany, Estonia, Russia and Finland.
    I was convicted of the crime of "Stealing as a Servant" in 2005 and sentenced to 16 months imprisonment of which I served 8 months. I am 63 years of age and had no previous criminal history and have had no further criminal history since this one.
    I have a New Zealand and Australian (citizenship of Australia granted since the conviction)passport.
    Do you know if gaining entry to any of these countries while on a cruise would be a problem?
    If it would be a problem with any of these is it ok to just stay on the ship while it is in Port?
    The ship is not in Port in any of these countries for any more than 24 hous.
    While I am on the subject do you know if there is any likelihood of being granted a visa if I did a cruise from Australia to Hawaii?
    Hope you can help as I can not really find any info on the Internet when it comes to cruising and criminal records. I don't want to book the cruise then find I cannot go .
  • These are the immigration rules for Australians coming to the UK .http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/australia/?langname=UK%20English

You need to check if your conviction is spent.http://www.peninsula-uk.com/bottomlineexpress/772/New-Rehabilitation-Periods-For-Ex-offenders-in-2013.html It appears to me that your conviction is "spent" so you need not mention your conviction and will be granted a 6 month visa at your first port of entry in the UK,

Unfortunately I do not know about the other countries you want to visit 
  • Thank you for the info Alethia. Yes it does appear that my conviction is now "spent" a far as UK concerned which is a relief. As far as I can tell the other countries are not too concerned as long as crime was not detrimental to their country and if we organise an official tour (through cruise line)in Russia we will be covered by a blanket visa. Just bed to check up about Ireland but opefully will be similar to UK.
    Don't hold much hope for an American visa though (for Hawaii) as this seems to be one of the hardest countries in the world to get ino once convicted of an offense - just thought I would try and throw that question in there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion