Do Cruise Passengers Need Tourist/Transit Visas?
  • Hello David,
    I have two cruises that I am currently looking at. I am trying to figure out Visa requirements for both of them. I am an Indian citizen with a valid US visa (F1).
    Cruise 1: Departing from Cape Liberty, Bayonne, N.J.; Halifax, Nova Scotia; Sydney, Nova Scotia; Charlottetown, P.E.I.; Quebec City, Quebec; Gaspe, Canada; Cape Liberty, Bayonne, N.J.

Cruise 2: 12 day British Isles Roundtrip From London
    Starting in London (Southampton), England, Guernsey, England, Cobh, Ireland, Dublin, Ireland, Liverpool, England, Belfast, Northern Ireland, Glasgow (Greenock), Scotland, Inverness/Loch Ness (Invergordon), Scotland, Edinburgh (South Queensferry), Scotland, Paris/Normandy (Le Havre), France, London (Southampton), England

Kindly advise.

Thank you.
    R
  • Hi Rohan,

For the first itinerary, you would need a Canadian visa, as you're already holding an American visa. The second one would require a visa for the UK, Ireland, and France.
  • Greetings!

I'm American with a US passport and will be sailing aboard a Holland America ship which starts in Dubai, goes to a few places in India, Malaysia and disembark in Singapore. My question is, will I need any visas or special documentation for any of these ports/destinations? Thanks in advance!
  • HI, I AM A SLOVAK CITIZENSHIP WITH PERMANENT RESIDENCY IN CANADA,
    I AM GOING ON CRUISE, ONE PORT OF CALL IS ANTIGUA AND ANOTHER IS ST.LUCIA.
    I DONT PLAN DISEMBARK IN THESE PORT OF CALLS. I TRAVEL WITH ROYAL CARIBBEAN.
    DO I NEED GET A VISA?
    THANK YOU
  • hi,

i hope i'm not too late for asking a cruise question.

i'm a philippine passport holder, i'm considering taking a south pacific cruise that goes to fiji, vanautu and new caledonia, but unfortunately the ship's port of call is in sydney australia. i need a visa for sydney, and getting a tourist visa for australia is not a sure thing for a filipino citizen if not impossible. i haven't seen any ships that depart from singapore or manila that go to fiji. do the cruiseliner company sponsor the passengers so they can avail of the needed visas?

i'm trying to get a clear picture of what i have to deal with. thanks.
  • My husband and I are Canadians who will be traveling to Dubai in late Feb. We know that we need a travel visa for Dubai but, while in Dubai we will be taking a Costa Cruise that will take us into Oman. I have been unsuccessful in finding out whether we will need a separate visa for Oman, if the ship receives a visa for all passengers itself, or if we obtain a visa at the port in Oman. If we were to fly into Oman I know that we would get the visa at the airport---how does it work for cruise ships---1st call to Costa Cruises led to a dead end.
    I have received conflicting information from various organizations. Does anyone know what the reality is???
  • hi i hav indian passport n im travellin wit my husband in commercial cargo ship which he s workin ,do i need a uk visa whether i stay onboard ?
  • PLZ reply me its very urgent for me bec im joinin ship on 23 in brazil....
  • hi,

I have a residence permit in Malta and I will be on a cruise which will stop in Kusadasi, Turkey for less than 8 hours. Do I need a visa to tour the place for 5 hours?

thanks.
  • Hi,
    I hold a Philippine passport with US green card, I booked a European cruise that sails this May.The cruise sails from Barcelona, to France, Italy, Croatia, and Montenegro.
    I am applying for Schengen visa from either Italy or Spain.
    Please reply to these questions:
    1. Will the Schengen visa allow me to disembark in Croatia and Montenegro?
    2. If no, will I be allowed aboard the cruise if I have no visa for Croatia or Montenegro ( & don't disembark)?
    Thanks.
  • No you wont be able to disembark but you will be fine to stay on board, I know this from first hand experience.
  • We are a group of Indians booked on a 1 week Royal Caribbean cruise to Italy Greece Turkey. Cruise starts and ends in Italy. Some of us have received only a single entry Schengen visa. Will this create a problem either in boarding the ship or in disembarking at Turkey? would it be okay if the guys with the single entry Schengen visas don't disembark in Turkey? Thanks.

Manoj
  • Hi 
    My wife, 4 year old daughter and I are embarking on a 12 day cruise from Spain around the Med in August 2013. We are Indian citizens and residents of Dubai, UAE and have a Schengen visa for the Europe travel. The cruise stops in Croatia and Montenegro for 5 to 7 hours. We currently do not have a visa for Croatia and Montenegro; can we get a visa on arrival at the ports of these 2 countries ? If not, how do I apply for their visas as they both do not have a consulate or embassy in the UAE  ? Appreciate the assistance. Regards, S
  • Hi David, I am a Trinidad and Tobago passport holdand I am going on a cruise to Barcelona, France and Italy. Do i need a multiple entry schengen visa or ia a single entry fine? Is there any difference in travelling in the Schengen area via air train or even boat because if I was travelling via air or train a single entry to the same destinations would be fine. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • SantoshKeni,when boat enters harbour our customs shall come and give you turist visa on spot!?
    Enjoy.
  • Hi David
    I'm going on a cruise to Greece. The cruise is departing from Venice, Italy. I have a Colombian passport and I'm a resident of the United States what type of visa do I need and do I need to apply for Italy and Greece visa
  • Hi Laura,

You will need to apply for a Schengen visa, which is valid for both Italy and Greece; you can apply at the nearest consulate for either country.
  • Hi, David

I'm a Canadian, hold a Canadian passport and my friend, hold a Chinese passport with USA Visa. going to take
    7 Night Eastern Caribbean Getaway. 
    Miami----San Juan, Puerto Rico----Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.----Philipsburg, St. Maarten----Miami.
    5 Night Western Caribbean
    Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades)---- Labadee (Cruiseline Private Island)----Falmouth, Jamaica----Ft. Lauderdale (Port Everglades)
    3 Night Bahamas
     Miami, ----Grand Bahamas Island----Nassau, Bahamas----Great Strirrup Cay----Miami
    I'm also intrested in George Town, Grand Cayman
    Do we need visa for all above?
    Thank you very much
  • We are going to on cruises in December 2013 and January 2014.
    Thanks.
  • hiii...

im a sri lankan. . I wanna travel USA by cruise ship. do I need visa for travelling to USA ? if I need visa then American visa officer will accept my visa? im 21 years old guy living in srilanka
  • As a Sri Lankan, you will need to apply for a visa before travelling to the US. You can do so at the US embassy in Colombo.
  • hi, I am travelling with MSC on 21st April 2014 from Argentina to Europe. I have got a Shengen visa, but it is only valid starting from 9th April and I will arrive to the first Shengen country (Spain) on the 3rd April. Will I be able to just stay on the ship, without disembarking? The cruise finishes on the 10th April, so by then I will be able to disembark already. Thank you for your answer in advance! Katrina
  • You should be able to go on the cruise as long as you stay on the ship until your visa is in effect.
  • Dear Davidc
    This is Deepak From Nepal .

I am planning to visit Mexico, so i searched from Embassy website and there is found

1.Mexico tourist visa is required for citizens of Nepal.

2.Mexico business visa is required for citizens of Nepal.

3.Mexico cruise visa is not required for citizens of Nepal for a stay up to 3 days.

now i am confusing about cruise Visa , actually what is Cruise visa , what documents needs for Cruise visa and Trust visa to travel Mexico. In Nepal , i did not fount any Mexican consular. can we apply from India? please send information in simple language .

• Hi Davidc,

I am going on a cruise to Mexico, Belize, and Honduras. I will stay at each port for less than 24 hrs.

My status: I am currently applying for the green card in USA. My interview is still pending, and my current non-immigration status is expired. However, I have obtained the advanced parole (travel permit I-131) and also a work permit, so I can re-enter the U.S. and legally work here till April next year. Do I need to obtain tourist visas for the three countries I am going to? Or do I just need to pay for a transit visa when I arrive? 

Thanks, Kasey
  • @KaseyL what country is your passport from? A US visa might help you in Mexico, but has no relevance in Belize or Honduras.
  • Hi, David,
    I am a Thai national . I shall go to Europe on MSC cruise starting from Netherlands. The ship stops in Southampton for one day. Do I need a uk visa? I have already had schengen visa.
    Thanks,
    Wiwat
  • Hi Wiwat,

Schengen visas are not valid for the UK, so if you want to get off the boat in Southampton you'll need a UK visa.
  • wwarin , if you want to leave the ship in Southampton you will need to apply for a UK Visitor in Transit Visa

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion