Do I need a visa to visit South Africa?
  • I want to go to South Africa later this year, do I need a visa?
  • I'm not sure where you're from, but people from many countries don't need a visa to visit South Africa. Here's a link to a good page with detailed South African visa requirements for the US, UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, but here's a more general breakdown according to the South African Department of Home Affairs:

Travellers from the following countries don't need visas to visit South Africa for up to 90 days:

African Union Laissez Passer
    Andorra
    Argentina
    Australia 
    Austria
    Belgium
    Botswana 
    Brazil
    Canada
    Chile
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    Ecuador
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Greece 
    Iceland
    Ireland
    Israel
    Italy
    Jamaica
    Japan
    Liechtenstein
    Luxemburg
    Malta             
    Monaco
    Namibia
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway  
    Panama    
    Paraguay
    Portugal       
    San Marino     
    Singapore
    Spain
    St Vincent & the Grenadines
    Sweden
    Switzerland 
    Tanzania (90 days per year)
    Trinidad & Tobago
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    British Islands Bailiwick of Guernsey and Jersey, Isle of Man. British Oversees Territories namely: Anguilla, Bermuda, British Antarctic Territory, British Indian Ocean Territory, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, St Helena and Dependencies (Ascension Island, Gough Island and Tristan da Cunha), Pitcairn, Henderson, Ducie and Oeno Islands, the Sovereign Base Areas of Cyprus South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands and the Turks and Caicos Island.
    USA
    Uruguay
    Venezuela
    Zambia (90 days per annum)
    Zimbabwe

Travellers from these countries can stay up to 30 days in South Africa without needing a visa:

Antigua and Barbuda
    Bahamas
    Barbados
    Belize                  
    Benin
    Bolivia
    Cape Verde
    Costa Rica
    Cyprus               
    Gabon
    Guyana
    Hong Kong [only with regard to holders of Hong Kong British National Overseas passports and Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passports] 
    Hungary
    Jordan
    Lesotho
    Macau [only with regard to holders of Macau Special Administrative Region passports (MSAR)]
    Malaysia
    Malawi
    Maldives
    Mauritius
    Mozambique
    Peru
    Poland
    Seychelles
    Slovak Republic
    South Korea
    Swaziland
    Thailand           
    Turkey

Any other travellers will need to apply for a visa at their nearest South African embassy or consulate. I recommend doing this 1-2 months ahead of your trip.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged