How safe is Cape Town
  • Hi yawar,

It's very hard to say what your costs will be, as they vary greatly by city. The cost of living is much higher, for example, in Johannesburg than in Durban, but the salary will also be much higher. For some detailed information on safety and cost of living, I suggest you look through this Moving to South Africa guide. You will be able to make a more informed decision once you know exactly where you'll be located, however.
  • Cape Town is one of the best city in world. Please forget about having a safe life there. You always have to watch up around and take care even while staying behind of traffic light after midnight! Cp is very nice city but it's not safe as its looks. I got hijack midday! In front of my office with two African armed man in parow. Police is not acting professionally and they are very busy as per then by having more than 10 hijacked report daily( you can once go to police station and ask them how is the rate of crime, rape and hijack in their station!). I just left the country with my wife and will not back there for work anymore... Please take care if you travel there and at begging talk with a police near to your place....
  • Dear friends,
    Please take a look on the website www.capetownsafety.com.

If you will stick to the advises there, most likely nothing happens:
    www.capetownsafety.com/understanding-how-cape-town-works/
    www.capetownsafety.com/safety-at-night/
    www.capetownsafety.com/how-to-not-be-a-victim/
    www.capetownsafety.com/cape-town-safety-map/

And it is one of the most beautiful places in the world in which most of the people never experience any crime situations.

Visit Cape Town!
  • I moved to Cape Town a few years ago with my husband who is from here and I love it!  I also made the mistake of reading through these types of forums where people only seem to tell you all of the bad stuff and it scares you.  Do your research about the history and politics of South Africa and you will. have a better understanding of how things are.  Yes, there are problems like anywhere in the world.  You do need to be aware and take sensible precautions but don't live your life in fear!  Cape Town is an amazing city with many layers and amazing people and cultures.  Africa is there to be explored and you can have many amazing and life-enriching experiences.  When I lived in the UK I had my house burgled and my car broken into on several occasions and a friend of mine has been held at gunpoint twice (in the UK), so no where is perfect!  If you have an opportunity, I say go for it!
  • Hear hear! Cape Town is an amazing city and I'd encourage anyone to live there:-)
  • oops.. sorry about that.. dunno what happened :) let me try again...
    i agree, CT is the best city in the world!! if any expats out their are stuck with frozen pensions in the UK, pls contact me. i specialize in moving them off shore for you. tx

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion