information needed on marriage in Tunisia
  • I am a canadian, living in Ontario. I have been on google for an hour now :P. I am in a relationship with Tunisian man for a year now, we met online and have been skype-ing everyday, I met his family online and his friends as well, so they know our situation. He asked me to marry him with his best friend beside him, and I said yes. And now I am trying to find information what I need to marry my fiancee. I have tried to do marriage search on ServiceOntario site, it did give me that option to click on search, but it just didn't go through, I have never been married and I have no way to prove it, only thru "Certificate of no impediment" and I don't know how to get this. My fiancee and his family are helping me go there, and that I will be well taken care of. I have that option to move to Tunisia, as he doesn't care where he is, as long as we are with him, I'm a single mother in Canada, and he has a good job. He's met my family through Skype as well. What can I do? or where can I go to get this "certificate of no impediment"? Can I get this in Canada Embassy in Tunisia? would I need to have proof that I am single? :P oh wow, I am getting a headache lol. I love him very much, and so do my children. Please if any woman in ontario, canada has gone through this, can you please help me step by step :) yep carols stuck lol
  • I know you have said this plenty of time on here but I am confused on all the papers needed to get married in Tunisia. I am a us citizen planning to marry a man from Tunisia. He has told me plenty of times the visa for US is not important and wants me to move there by him. What I am worried about is the papers needed for me to marry him. Why do they need to be dated within 21 days? That is the main thing that confuses me. I think I have all my papers that I need for myself like birth certificate, past marriage and divorce papers and passport. But all my papers are dated from before. Is that going to be an issue? Also the blood test that needs to be done...Can I do that here in the US before I go there or does it need to be done there?? 
    Thanks for all your time!
  • Hey please I am american and I wanna marry my tunisian fiancé please what I can doo..thanks
  • Ashton, all the details you need to know are here Good luck
  • HI,im an algerian guy,i want to get married with an irish woman in tunisia,so what do i need to do?
  • Hassai your wife needs a certificate if non impediment  CONI also known as a Nulla Osta  ( this is a legal certificate that says she is free to marry) if  and if your wife lives in Northern Ireland she must make an appointment at the register office. If your fiance is from southern Ireland (Eire) she will get the the CONI from here Consular Section, Dept of Foreign Affairs, St Stephens Green, Dublin 2. Phone +353-1-4082568 9.30-12.30 Mon-Fri
    You also require proof from your country that you are free to marry.
    Here is a list of documents for both of you.
    Birth Certificate dated within 3 months, divorce papers  or death certificate of previous spouse (if applicable),
    certificate of no impediment, 
    Medical Certificate This is a medical certificate establishing eligibility to contract marriage. This certificate must have a maximum validity of two months at the time of marriage. Each party must be free of any contagious diseases (primarily tuberculosis and syphilis), alcoholism and mental illness. The City Hall in Tunis or all other cities will provide this. . All doctors practicing in Tunisia are authorized to perform these medical examinations.
    Your wifes documents must be translated into French or Arabic.
    If you need more information let me know

  • thx for ur advice,but im algerian could i get married in tunisia?
  • Yes Algerians can marry in Tunisia. You will need to rent an apartment in Tunisia as you and your fiancee cannot stay in a hotel together before you are married.
    All the best
  • thx,is there an embassy of ireland  in tunisia?,if so give me the adress pls to take an appointment.
  • All visa applications from Tunisia for Ireland are made on line look here

    I asked you previously if your fiancee was from north or southern Ireland as this can make difference to the visa application. 
  • she is from southern ireland
  • That's fine then you apply on line as per the link I gave above.
    حظا سعيدا  (good luck)
  • thnk u very much
  • Hey . Salam alykum . Im tunisian . And I have american girlfriend . Does marriage is hard? Much told me is so hard that I go live with her after the marriage . Pls I need informations . Beautiful evening for all
  • Noudine, her is the information your American girlfriend will need to enable her to marry you in Tunisia.

    It is difficult to join your wife in the USA after marriage.I suggest your wife speaks to a lawyer in the US for advice on how to proceed.
  • Hello I am getting married to a Tunisian man and I'm going there in February. Do I need to have all my papers French or Arabic before I go or can I do them there?
  • You can have all your documents translated into French or Arabic in Tunisia, it is usually a lot cheaper.
    The documents are translated by sworn translators, the marriage office or your embassy will have a list of translators. The translations are usually done very quickly and efficiently.
  • Can you tell me which is easer being married at the Emmbasy or at a home thanks? :)
  • I don't know what country you are from but it it is highly unlikely that you can marry in your countries Embassy in Tunisia as Tunisian marriages are recognised in the USA, European countries, UK , Australia, Arab countries etc.

    Tunisian marriage are not religious they are civil marriages legally registered under the provisions of Tunisian law 57. If you want a religious ceremony you must arrange that separately

    Foreigners and Tunisians marry at the Municipality marriage office occasionally the official Registrar comes to the house to conduct the civil wedding. Some couples then have a party at a restaurant or home but if they have the traditional three day wedding there are more rituals to follow.

  • Okay thanks yes I am a american Girl marring a Tunisian Man.  So we should just marry at the Embassy and then have a celabration at the home?
  • Theresay2000 , I will explain again more clearly. The US Embassy in Tunisia DOES NOT marry people. There are NO embassy marriages in Tunisia.

    Weddings in Tunisia are carried out at City Hall (Municipality marriage office) NOT in the embassy.

    You can have a party in a restaurant or hotel you DO NOT have to have your wedding party at home.

    Please read my first post again as you obviously did not understand . I hope this post explains it more clearly

    Here is some advice from the American Embassy in Tunisia 
  • Hi i live in the England uk can anyone please tell me how long after my divorce do i have to wait before i can marry my Tunisian boyfriend 
  • The day you receive your Decree Absolute from the English divorce court is the day you can marry. there is no waiting period once the Decree Absolute has been issued.
  • Thank You 
  • Hi all, I am in a dilemma and need help. 

    I am a British Citizen who works in Saudi Arabia. I getting married October in two months time to a lovely girl just outside Mahdiya Insh'Allah 

    I understand I need CONI and Birth Certificate (less than 21 days)
    Is this all I need to provide??? And must the birth certificate be less than 21 days?? How will they know?? Do i need it certified from another department in the UK.

    I am in Saudi at the moment and while in England a month ago I went to the registry office to get the CONI. I can apply for the Birth certificate on-line around the time of the wedding and get it Fedexed out to me in Saudi.

    I also need to know can I bring my wife to Saudi or will I need to get her registered in the UK somewhere before I can do this?

    thanks in advanced.  very stressed!

  • Hi Warrior
    The copy of the birth certificate will have a signature and date the copy was issued, that's how they know 
    ;) It needs to be translated but no further certification.

    You cannot bring your wife to the UK unless you are living and working there and earning £18600 per annum, she will also need a visa to visit the UK.

    For your wife to live with you in Saudi Arabia depends upon the profession on your Iqama. This site should be a real help to you.

    Its easier these days to take your wife to Saudi than the UK. 

    All the best to you and your lovely bride.

  • Wow thanks for the speedy reply.

    So lets get all this straight one last time.

    1. CONI translated into French from British Embassy.
    2. Birth Certificate Translated in French form British Embassy.

    How many days will it take for the whole process of getting it translated, getting the blood test and then the marriage ceremony in front of the religious judge.

    I a guessing they can be book consecutively? I only have for days in Tunisia.

    thanks a million


  • You are cutting it very fine, only four days. no honeymoon?

    Contact the British Embassy in Tunis to make an appointment. I scanned a clients documents to them and they had them translated ready for collection and verification against the original, quicker than waiting. Ask if you can do that or fax them

    Its going to take all day to go from Mahdiya to the British Embassy and back.

    The blood test is done the same day but surely your fiancée must be arranging things from her side.
  • Yes I am cutting it fine! I will contact the embassy and see if I can arrange to get this done before hand. Land in Tunis, pick up documents and drive down to Mahdiya. From their will have blood test on the one day and the ceremony on the other.

    Then will have to drive back! Unfortunately don't have much time. We will do the honeymoon during my second holiday.

    Thanks for help

  • Ali,

    I am presuming that your fiancee is Muslim? I also presume that you are Muslim, but as a foreign man marrying a Muslim you must have documentation proving that you are a Muslim. Normally you can have this from your embassy or the imam at the mosque, but you must have this in order to marry in Tunisia. It must be in Arabic and certified.

    Mahdia is a long way from Tunis, but I presume you have visited?

    Mubarek joy and happiness.
  • Hey just came across this forum and thought I would get my info from here, I am getting married to a Tunisian at the end of September. Firstly should I wait another week before requesting a copy of my birth certificate, marriage certificate and divorce papers??? Also who do I contact to get a letter from to say I am of sound mind and free to marry??? Lastly, how long will it take to be able to bring my husband back here to Northern Ireland??? At the moment I have a local mp working on getting him over just on a visitors visa, this is the third week waiting and I know this takes time.

  • Firefly, you require a Certificate of No Impediment is the legal document you require to say you are free to marry. You need to contact the Register Office in your town immediately as it can take several weeks to process. The Register Office requires you to complete the Marriage Application Form, you can download or collect it from the Register office.

    The copy of your birth certificate should not be issued more than 21 days before your marriage.
  • Firefly, these are the requirements to bring enable you to apply to bring your spouse to the UK. It is not easy to bring a spouse to the UK you made need legal assistance.

    Your must be working and earning a minimum of £18,600 for at least six months before the application. (Unless you are disabled and in receipt of disability benefit or carers allowance)

    6 months’ payslips

    6 bank statements that show the salary going in. Bank statement of
    savings if you have a savings account

    P.60 (year end tax document)

    Letter from your UK employer stating length of employment, job title,salary, NI number and that the payslips are authentic

    Proof of your home, rental agreement or mortgage 

    Council tax bill

    Electric, gas, water bills no older than six month

    Please read my next post

  • Further documents are:-

    Proof of contact between you, emails, phone bills, Skype or WhatsApp
    conversations printed out.

    Marriage certificate from Tunisia

    Some wedding photos

    Your husbands passport 

    Copy of your  passport showing the bio page and all entry and exit stamps to Tunisia especially the dates when you married.

    If your husband works in Tunisia provide a letter from his employer and if he has a bank account you could show the bank statements.

    A short letter of support for your husband

  • Hi I just contacted the British Embassy in Tunis and they advised me that I don't need to contact them for translations. They said they don't translate the CONI into French nor the birth certificate. 
    They say that I should contact any company that does translation services who can do this for me. I am worried as I thought the embassy was a source of help and no they aren't.

    please advise someone.

    am really stressed now as have three weeks to go
  • British Embassies are cutting services the world over and can refuse to assist , so you may be better off having documents translated with a Tunisian Notary. Don't be stressed take the advice and find a local notary.

    I just checked the Foreign and Commonwealth website regarding marriages in Tunisia /

    It still states ( but obviously its not the case)  :_

    Legalisation and translation

    You might need to exchange your UK-issued CNI for one that’s valid in Tunisia at the nearest embassy or consulate to where you’re getting married.

  • Hi, thanks for reply. 

    Can I use a local translation office as my new family keep insisting? (I don't think they know much about the marriage process involving a foreigner and are not much help.)

    I am guessing the difference in translating from the embassy or their recommended services is some kind of verification??

    If i can se someone in Mahdiya or closer this will save me lots of time as I wont be wasting two precious days travelling to and from Tunisis to Mahdiya.
  • Just so you know, the British embassy has never provided translation services........they give you a list of embassy approved translators. Doesnt matter what the website says. You can have your documents translated by any translator and they will be accepted. The embassy is unable to offer any services in regard to marriages. As long as you have all yourdox translated by their approved translators they will certify them for you.
  • Ok sorry for my ignorance but please clear up something for me. Seems like the more I panic the less I understand.

    1. I cannot get my documents translated from any old translation office?

    2. I must get them through one of the embassy approved translators only?  

    3. The documents then need to be verified by the embassy  OR once translated, are enough to show the marriage office?

    I am sorry, I am not trying to be condescending or patronising. Trust me when I say, I am in a panic and finding this simple business hard to process. I am scared I will mess up somewhere and seeing as I only have four days, will miss the chance to marry and will have to wait a whole year to marry again.

  • Once again Lesley is incorrect. The British Embassy Consular section in Tunis ALWAYS offered translation services, in the consular section particularly for marriage documents. I personally have had documents translated and certified there as far back as 1999  as have my family and clients over the years. 

    The UK government cutbacks have meant that Embassy services all over the world have been reduced.

    A Notary in Tunisia is a public official, (Notary Public in the UK) whose main powers are administering oaths and attesting signatures both important and effective ways to minimize fraud in legal documents. Notary offices often offer translations and they are not "just any old translators".

    Warrior, take your documents to the Notary in Mahdiya and everything will be fine. You need to stop panicking. Marriage to a foreigner is no different to normal Tunisian weddings except we need our documents translated and certified. Listen to your wife's family follow their advice in this regard and calm down. I did say four days was cutting it fine.

    By the way have you the certificate from your Imam in Saudi ( in Arabic) verifying you are a Muslim.? You will need to show this with the rest of your documents.

    Keep calm, its only a wedding

  • Warrior, sorry but I did not word my answer to you can have your dox translated by any of the approved embassy translators, you can also have your dox translated by most of the translators in Tunisia and they are usually licenced to certify them also.

    The family are correct, you can your dox translated in Madhia and this is very acceptable. I am sure they have been to the beladiya to check.

    I have assisted many foreigners here in Tunisia, it always is fine. If you are having the notaire do the contract it is even easier.

    I wish you mabrouk
  • Thank you Lesley and Alethia.

    My future family in Tunis keep giving conflicting information. For them, its a very easy process and they seem very relaxed about it, but I don't want to make a mistake, like not going to an approved translator and having to travel back to Saudi wifeless!

    So my understanding is most translators should be certified and will certify my documents?

    thanks for reminding me about proving I am a Muslim Alethia. I will try to do this ASAP. My understanding is that I can go to the baladiya or Imam and utter the declaration of faith and they give me a paper stating I am a Muslim and this is enough.

    here's hoping.......

  • To obtain a CONI in Tunisia you should normally be resident in Tunisia.
    Here is what the British government website says on the subject.

    You would do to well to contact the British Embassy to confirm the requirements.
  • Warrior, I presume your dox are in English.....all you need to do is have them translated into Arabic and the translator will stamp. It is no big deal. This is wny I question that you try to have the British embassy, they certainly cant help you with translations from Arabic to English with their approved translators. It will go fine, it is all fairly casusl here and if something is not quite right then the notaire can be your best friend.
  • We have arranged to get the documents translated by an office in Sousse. They reckon this office is better than offices in Mahdiya. They say as long as its translated from a translation office it will be recognised by the marriage office. 

    I only have three weeks left so in a few days will apply for copy of my birth certificate online and together with CONI have it fedEXed out to me in Saudi.



  • Inchallah mabrouk, I am sure it will all go well and wish you joy and happiness
  • thank you for all your help :)
  • Not at all, happy to help.
  • Hi I'm Irish marrying in tunisia in jan... i do not want to live in tunisia i want my husband to return to Ireland...can anyone pls tell me what we need for visa to get him to Ireland and how long it takes.. Thanks
  • Najma, I cannot tell you exactly what you need to do, however I do know that it takes a long time lots of dox. I am sure that Alethia can provide you with a web link but you could go to the UK gov. website where all the information is provided

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion