I want to divorce my tunisian husband to remarry
  • Iam currantly married to a man that used me for a visa, he is now illegally living in uk as his visa expired we split in first year of him coming here and I went to leave in tunisia and met another man we have been together 2 years and we want to marry! So I've come back to uk to divorce my husband, but I've heard I need to register my divorce in tunisia to marry my boyfriend. How do I do this??? Hope someone can help
  • You need the help of  Tunisian lawyer for this. I have been to the Tunisian court records office with a Tunisian woman friend and its a nightmare without a lawyer.My friends lawyer charged her the equivalent of £30 this was in 2011.

    Sorry to say Tunisians want to come UK or Europe I hope husband number two is a keeper. Good luck.
  • Hi thanks for you reply! Did u manage to register your divorce? And where is the courts record office?? Thanks
  • The divorce was registered in Tunisia and my friend got her divorce decree from the Court record office.

    I do not have the address of the court office in Sousse as we went both times with the lawyer. The lawyer who helped my friend is  : -
    Anouar GHACHEM  his email is <anouar-ghachem@orange.fr> He spoke good English and was very pleasant and helpful.
  • Thanks for that, I will email him tomorrow. Can I ask did your friend divorce in uk. As this is what I'm doing and someone has just told me that I can't register my uk divorce there, sorry for so many questions, I'm just so stress and don't want my partner getting in trouble as I'm still legally married in tunisia.
  • If you want to marry with your boyfriend then you will contact with any international law firm. It is the best solution for it.
  • Lauren, definitely my friend divorced in the UK and filed the British divorce with court office in Sousse.
    A Tunisian client also divorced his British wife they filed the papers again in Sousse and he went on to marry a Tunisian wife ( that marriage failed) and is now on wife number 3 !
  • Lauren i married in tunisia and our marriage contract is  registrated in tunisia, can my british husband divorce me  from british courts in UK!! 
  • If you were married in Tunisia the divorce must be in Tunisia. If you both agree to the divorce it is very quick. You attend the court and the papers can be done in 3 weeks. You can have a notaire arrange everything for tnd45.000. However if one party does not agree then the judge will give a period of usually 3 weeks to see if a recinciliation is possible and a new court date. If you still want the divorce your lawyer will go to the court, there is no need for either party to attend and the divorce will be granted. An easy way for a person in Tunisia is to have the letter of invitation to attend the court to divorce is to give a fictitious address. The court will send 3 invitations and if the other party (normally the foreign wife) does not attend the divorce will be granted. Easy!
  • Sarah33 your husband can divorce you from the UK .If a person is habitually domiciled in the UK they must petition for a UK divorce. Divorcing abroad can have serious implications for a person in the UK.

    Lesley a British citizen residing permanently in the UK should divorce in the United Kingdom irrelevant to where they marry to protect their interests especially where children are concerned. You are not a lawyer Lesley even if you do claim to be a Tunisian "expert"
  • thanks alot  LESLEY  AND ALETHIA, i m tunisian and he is british citizen  ,our marriage registrated in tunisia, is it easy for him  to divorce me from UK if i insist to  refuse the divorce !!
  • Sarah33 , even if you refuse to divorce, what will you gain? Eventually your husband will obtain a divorce in the UK with or without your consent. It is straight forward to divorce in the UK.
    If your marriage is at an end Sarah33 why would you put yourself through such pain and bitterness fighting against it?
  • because i have 4 children ALETHIA ,  it 's bad situation 
  • if he ll divorce me from uk ,how longtime will  takes to obtain  his divorce paper !! 
  • In the UK the actual divorce is separate from ancillary matters (children and money) If you have 4 children then they must be British citizens , so why don't you live in the UK? If you live in Tunisia not the UK you must go to a lawyer immediately as your husbands lawyer should contact your lawyer. If you want further advice contact me on info@astonlawpractice.com 

    British courts do not deal with child maintenance as this is enforced by the child support agency. It would be impossible for any court to enforce support for your children if their father is in a different country.

    A UK divorce can go through in as little as three months. The following is a legal opinion on refusing a divorce.

    If you disagree with the divorce...

    The person who didn't ask for the divorce can refuse to agree to it. This is called ‘defending the divorce petition’.

    This doesn't often happen because it is expensive and usually pointless. After all, it is virtually impossible to argue that your marriage or civil partnership hasn't broken down when your partner has said it has. But there are some cases where the person who didn't ask for the divorce feels so strongly that the marriage has broken down as a result of the other person’s actions, rather than their own, that they ask for a divorce too and give their reasons. This is called a ‘cross-petition’.

    However, in most cases, it’s better to allow the divorce to go ahead no matter how unfair the reasons given. This is because it is cheaper and it doesn't really matter what reasons are given - it doesn't affect arrangements for the children or how the money or property is divided, and ordinarily the papers aren't going to be seen by anybody not involved in the divorce.

  • Alethia.....I dont quote websites that have misinformation and are out of date. I am a Tunisian. If you think your advice is correct you might want to check with the actual departments etc. You are very ob iously an expert.....go for it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion