Weddings in Turkey
  • Viv, yes you can marry in Turkey a marriage in Turkey is recognised as legal in Ireland.

The most important document you both require is a Certificate de Coutoume this is a legal document from the Irish government that sates you are both free to marry. This website tells you how you obtain the Certificate de Coutoume  http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=274

The documents you will need are your passports, your birth certificates, your divorce decree if you have been married before or the death certificate of your spouse if you are widowed. The certificate de coutoume and in Turkey you will need to have a medical examination. All the arrangements for the wedding, medial exam etc are a carried out by the wedding planner.

Like any wedding things seem a bit stressful, but I am sure you will enjoy your Turkish wedding.

• sound great, congratulation and good luck
  • I desperatly need some assistance. I am planning to get married in Istanbul at the end of November, I am a british national and my fiance is a syrian national living in saudi arabia. I need to know what documenrs I require and which of these need to be translated in to Turkish and legalised? Every website i look at has something additional or something missing that is on another dite. I contacted the british consulate but they simply told me i need a certificate of no impediment to be translated and my other queries needed to be directed to thd Turkish authorities....i have searched forAny help anyone can offer would be much appreciated
  • Dear Leena,

I contacted to one of wedding authorities in Istanbul about your situation. 
    1- To be able to get an appointment in any district you need to have hotel booking confirmation from that distirct. It means if hotel doesn't located in that district you can't adress to that quarter's authorities.
    2- Documents requested may change regarding which district you are adressing. (Not so important detail.) While getting appoinment on exact date you wishes you can this info easily.
    3- 'No impediment' documnet can be provided by British consulate in Istanbul but Syrian's doesn't. So Syriens should get this doc in their country or from any consulate which makes it.
    4- The other things are medical/blood tests etc. You need to make it done in Turkey. 

Than you marry as Turks. 2 witnesses requiered etc. etc.

I think it is clear that you need a translator at every where :)
  • Leena, this is one of the most common questions not just on here but on other sites about Turkey.
    As a British citizen these are the documents you will need.

Certificate of Non Impediment (CONI)

To obtain the certificate of non impediment call your local Registry Office and make an appointment specifically for the CONI. It costs about £35 The registry office will tell you what documents you need. You do not have to give a specific address for the wedding ceremony just say Istanbul. This is the equivalent of posting the banns. After 16 days your CONI will be issued to you.

The CONI is valid for six months if its issued in England and Wales three months validity for Scottish CONI

Upon arrival in Turkey you must have your documents translated at the British Consulate in Istanbul.http://www.british-consulate.net/Istanbul.html

For this you will need the following documents:-
    • Certificate of No Impediment, not issued more than six months prior to the wedding day.
    • Full ten year British passport with minimum validity of six months.
    • Full Birth Certificate.
    • If you are divorced - a Decree Absolute
    • If you have changed your name - Deed Poll
    • If you are widowed - the death certificate
    The British Consulate charge for the translation service ask how much when you contact them.
    When your documents have been translated you go to the local Turkish Governors office where the documents are legalised for free.
    As your fiance is Syrian he will also require proof he is free to marry and his documents translated into Turkish and legalised at the Governors office.
    Everyone who marries in Turkey must have blood test (including Turks) the Turkish registry office will tell you where to go. You will need about 4 passport sized photographs for the Turkish registry office.
    You will need 2 witnesses for the wedding and a translator.
    How do I know this, I am a British Immigration / human rights lawyer who has assisted many of my British clients who have married in Turkey and other countries.

• Omerozturk, I know you were trying to assist but your information is incorrect and misleading. A British citizen can only obtain a CONI from the British Embassy in Turkey if they are living in Turkey as it takes three weeks for the CONI to be issued most Britons obtain the CONI from their registry office in the UK . This also applies to other European nationals Americans Australians etc.

When a couple are staying in a hotel/ apartment in Istanbul then it is simply a matter of finding where the local Marriage office is located. In my experience hotel staff are very helpful in pointing people in the right direction.

Documents for foreigners DO NOT change there is a standard requirement for foreigners set by the Turkish authorities. as can be seen by the government website http://www.turkishconsulate.org.uk/en/marriage_divorce.asp?PageID=2

• Dear Alethia,

I read earlier as well, appriciated. 

I talked to an authority who is in charge with wedding for Besiktas. He told himself British consulate provide this document in Istanbul. He added also may be doc requested may change. He asked me to check 1st availability in the distirct than start making plans because When i was married it was necessary to book at least 2 months earliers before summer 4-5 months earlier to be able to get week-end.

You know there is a speach, who knows better/more; "the one who travels or the one who reads more?". Appearantly you read enough and experienced this issue earlier. 

Please keep tracing posts and pls feel free to ask any asisstance.
  • Dear Alethia

Thank you ever so much for your help. Could you tell me if my birth certificate, change of name deed, passport and CONI need to be legalised in the UK first of all (before they can be translated/legalised in Turkey) or is it enough for them to be certified as true copies?
  • Leena, you DO NOT need to legalise the documents in the UK. The British Embassy and Turkish Governors office DO NOT accept certified copies of documents they must be all be originals .Please ask if you need more help.
  • So can i just check i have this right, i need my birth certicate which is stamped by the registry office, my change of name deed that has my wet ink signature on it and has also been signed by a solicitor to say it is a genuine deed, a certificate of no.impediment and my passport?
  • Leena the documents you have listed are correct. Have you been married before? if so you must supply your divorce decree.
    If you want to marry in November you need to get a move on as the CONI takes 3 weeks.to be issued.

I would also call the British Consulate in Istanbul for an appointment to drop off your documents for translation. By the way the translation cost between 300-400 Turkish Lira 
    Good luck

• Thanks for your responses. I have an appointment tomorrow to apply for the CONI and my fiance will also book flights and accommodation.

So once the hotel is booked we can obtain the local registry office details from the hotel to make an appointment? What I plan to do is make an appointment with the british consulate to have the CONI translated into Turkish, take it to the Turkish Governor to be legalised (the same day) and have an appointment with the registry office for the following day for the marriage ceremony to take place? Does this sound like something that would be possible or does a certain period of time have to pass between getting the CONI legalised and the ceremoney taking place?

Do the registry offices usually have good availability for appointments?

Can the medical appointments be booked in advance?

Is it only the CONI that needs to be translated and legalised or does this have to be done with all documents?

Sorry for all the questions I just need to make sure I get this right, the last thing I want is to arrive in Turkey and discover i have missed something. Thanks in advance.
  • Leena,

You must have all your documents translated at the British Consulate.

You will need a letter in Turkish signed by someone at the hotel to say you are staying there as a booking is not sufficient

Don't forget your husband needs to have his documents translated into Turkish, usually Arabs go to a translator and Notary for translations.

In your itinerary you have failed to take into account your blood tests/ medcals, "Nikah Talisi" sometimes you have to go the next day for the results. Istanbul is a huge city and running here and there from office to office will take time.

You will also need 6 passport size photos for you and 6 for your husband.

In my opinion it is unlikely you will be able to marry the day after legalising your documents. You will know the time scale better when you go to the marriage office to book the appointment .

Good luck
  • Hello

We are travelling to Turkey in May and are planning to get married while we are there. I understand all the legalities but I am struggling to find a venue. We only want a very simple ceremony and so I don't really want to pay a wedding planner as we don't want all the extras that seem to be in the packages. Our hotel does not do wedding ceremonies. Can anyone help please?
  • I should add ...... We are staying at the Mukarnas Resort & Spa so venues close to there if anyone knows of any please :-)
  • Vickoh , the Mukarnas Resort and Spa hotel is a great place to stay however it is located in Okurcalar which a very small place and there is not much to see or do outside of the hotel. 

I believe you will need to marry in Alanya which is 30 minutes down the road. Here is the contact for the Alanya Registry office http://www.alanya.bel.tr/belediye/organizasyon.asp?pID=14  Email or call the contact and they will assist you. 

There are hundreds of great restaurants in Alanya who would gladly cater for your wedding reception just ask here are some restaurants listed on Trip Advisor. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g297961-Alanya_Turkish_Mediterranean_Coast.html

My parents own an apartment south of  Alanya and we have been to many restaurants over the years but not knowing your taste its hard to recommend. Some restaurants will also have the ceremony on their premises so you do not have to go to the registry office which is a bit grim. They can also arrange your wedding cake. Good luck.

• That's great! Thank you very much for your help :-)
  • You should have a look at www.turkeyweddings.com
    İts a company of a friend of mine.
    They organise beautiful wedding especially in cappadocia. You can also see the wedding they already organised
  • Marrying in Turkey might be a dream for many foreigners, because the country offers many idyllic sites, beaches, resorts, and great cities depending on your preferences for the places of a Wedding. Good thing is that you can start your honeymoon right after your wedding without losing any time; maybe taking a private tour or a Gulet cruise in the Aegean Sea

Turkey provide a complete kaleidoscope of exciting opportunities 
    More importantly, a wonderful climate, turquoise waters of Aegean and Mediterranean Seas and the coastline, wealthy accommodation options with reasonable budget ,traditional Turkish hospitality, spirit of tolarance, warm and friendly communication, delicious foods, stunning landscape make our guests feel better and happy.

Please feel free to contact  www.marriageinturkey.com for your any requests. 

• we are visiting the USA in August 2013 and will be
    returning 2014 to get married, we are looking for a wedding planner who
    can help us with the legalities and organization.

• Dear Austin,

I would like to help you  I am a wedding planner inTurkey. We do wedding organisations in any place you wish to be. Our base is South Eagean & Mediterranean but we give services in İstanbul and in Cappadocia too.  Please feel free to share your request  with me. I am happy to give you all consultancy about the area, venues, paper work etc. before you make your desicion. Regards.

please have a look www.marriageinturkey.com  email: info@marriageinturkey.com 
  • Hi Alethia ,

I would like to know about you. Are you doing wedding? Where is your base and do you have a web page.please. Thanks.
  • Hi Sebnem, no I am not a wedding planner, I am an immigration and human rights lawyer based in the UK. 
    http://astonlawpractice.com/ Aston Law Practice based in Birmingam UK
    I have assisted many British and Europeans to bring their Turkish husband and wives to the United Kingdom and Ireland.
    On a personal note I have been married to my Turkish husband for several years and have travelled to many parts of Turkey and attended quite a few Turkish weddings.
    :)
  • Hi Alethia

I was hoping i could get your help again, me and my fiance did not marry in November however we hope to go to Turkey soon to do so. My fiance is Syrian and currently in Saudi Arabia, i am british.

My question is, does my fiance need a certificate of no impediment? He has obtained a document which states all his personal information and confirms his marital status as single the document is dated so the Turkish government can be sure that this is recent information. Is this sufficient?
  • The document confirms his name date of birth, place of birth, parents details and confirms that the information has been extracted from the civil register and has the date.
  • A certificate of no impediment is a European document so your fiance will have to use the document you mention. Normally this document would be certified at the Syrian Embassy but I am not sure its open due to the civil war. Once certified and translated into Turkish you both take your documents to the Governor's office in Istanbul to be ratified. 

If the Syrian Embassy is closed take your partners documents to a Turkish notary.

Syrian Embassy
    Sad No. 59/5
    Tesvikiy
    İstanbul
    TurkeyPHONELOCAL: (0212) 232.6721
    INTERNATIONAL: +90.212.232.6721
    FAXLOCAL: (0212) 230.2215
    INTERNATIONAL: +90.212.230.2215

• Thank you for your help again :)
  • Alethia, could you tell me how long the CONI document is valid in Istanbul and also how long my partners certificate confirming his marital status as single is valid for (not sure if there is any difference between the 2)
  • The CONI is valid for six months but I do not know how long your partners documents are valid for he needs to ask the Syrian authorities, 
  • Having recently got married in Turkey I just wanted to share some information on here.....for anyone wanting to marry in Turkey, you no longer need a certificate of no impediment. As of 1 March 2014 the rules for British Citizens wishing to marry in Turkey have changed. A British Citizen who wants to marry in Turkey now needs to complete an Affirmation/Affidavit form which can be printed from www.gov.uk if you copy and paste this link you should be able to view and print it 
    if you can't then simply go to the www.gov.uk website and type in the search engine "Marriage in Turkey". Once you have printed and completed the form you will need to go to a Notary Public who will witness you sign the form and notarise it for you. Then you will need to have it legalised by the Foreign Commonwealth Office. The Certificate of No Impediment is no longer used and the British Consulate and Embassy no longer translate this into Turkish for you. Personally I think the new process is much easier. When you arrive in Turkey you will need to have the Apostil on the Affirmation/Affidavit translated into Turkish by a Notary Public who will notarise it, then you take it to the Turkish authority for them to stamp it too. You will need to do the same for a copy of your passport. Once this is done, you need to have your blood tests done to obtain a health certificate - the tests are for Hepatitis and HIV. The marriage office will be able to tell you where you need to go for this doing. Hope this information is of benefit for anyone looking into marrying in Turkey.

• Actually Leena most people find the Apostille route more difficult and expensive, Based on feed back from my clients and other sites.

Before a British person went to the Registry office paid £37 and sixteen days later had had the CONI which was then translated at the British Embassy and certified by the Turkish governors office for free.

There is no fixed fees for Notary Publics in the UK so they can charge what they like for notarising the form, Notary Publics are not open every day in the UK and can be hard to find Then £30 is payable to the British government for the apostille and can take up to a week to come back.

After that the Document is translated by a Turkish Notary and another fee payable finally it is certified at the Turkish governors office.So more payments and more bureaucracy. 

The blood tests are for a lot more than Hepatitis and HIV  they are also for Thalassemia sometimes known as Mediterranean Fever a genetic disorder.

Congratulations on your marriage I hope you and your husband will be very happy.
  • Thank you Alethia. The certificate of no impediment is no longer an option for british citizens, as i explained it is the affidavit/affirmation that has to be completed. The government website will explain that the process changed on 1 March 2014 and the british consulate in Turkey will confirm that they no longer translate the documents im speaking from experience.

I followed the CNI process in Nov 2013 but we couldnt marry at that time then when i returned this month i discovered the new process, thankfully i discovered it before travelling there.

Also, the certificate from the medical centre that i obtained only stated the test was for hepatitis B and C and also HIV, it also says the blood type. Maybe they no longer test for Thalassemia.

I think its great you are here to help people Alethia and the information you gave me previously was very helpful but i can say from a very recent experience that the information i have given about the CNI no longer being accepted is 100% correct.

I also never needed my birth certificate as the affidavit/affirmation that you complete includes all this.

Hope your assistance helps more people in the future. Take care :)
  • I know your information is correct Leena, I did not mean to undermine what you said. There are always constant changes in every countries systems and I am fully up to date with the changes in Turkish requirements.

Thalassemia is an on going genetic disease prevalent in mediterranean countries and is most definitely included in the blood tests for Turks.

My best wishes for the future
    :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged