Wine farms to visit near Cape Town?
  • We are planning our trip to Cape Town for later this year and want to spend a day or two in the wine lands. Can you suggest some good wine farms near to Cape Town. Should we make a night of it, or are they close enough to visit? Is there much for children to do at the wine farms, or are they really just for adults? How long does it take to get to Constantia or Stellenbosch from Cape Town. 
  • Actually the "Cape Wineries" are near to the city of Stellenbosch approximately an hour and half drive from Cape Town. so it may be a good idea to do an overnight stay in or near Stellenbosch as SA drink driving laws are tough! Or you might want to do a coach tour but they can be pricey and the one I did was about 600 rand. ($75 dollars I think ) and no lunch. I would drive next time and stay a couple of days.

Some of the famous vineyards are Kanonkop , Klein Constantia., Ida's Valey and Simonsig.
    Wonderful countryside and great restaurants you will have a wonderful time.
  • I would agree... you can theoretically drive out to Stellenbosch or Franschhoek and then return to Cape Town the same day, but it's more enjoyable if you spend a couple of days in the area, which is absolutely beautiful. I recommend Reyneke Wines, which was the first certified organic wine farm in South Africa. I took a tour there recently and really enjoyed it.

There are lots of great wine farms in the area though; have a look at this guide to the Cape Winelands to get an idea!
  • If you want to thoroughly explore the famous wine estates in the Cape, around centres like Paarl, Franschhoek and Stellenbosch, then I agree that spending a night or two is a good idea, but do note that there are incredible wine estates within Cape Town, like Groot Constantia, which is less than 20-minutes drive from the Cape Town city centre.
    Many of the wine estates make a point of being child-friendly, with outdoor play areas and the like. Groot Constantia in particular is a favourite with families.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Tagged