Flying from Italy to South Africa on a South African passport..when italian passport has expired
  • My boyfriend has dual cit.ship, holding an Italian and South African passport. He is also an Italian resident. He now needs to fly back to South Africa asap. The problem is his Italian passport expired and is waiting for it to get renewed...which in Italy can take ages! Can he travel from Italy to South Africa using his South African passport? Does he need a visa? Can he get an Italian temporary passport? What can he do?!!! Help!

Many thanks in advance
  • Have your boyfriend call the South African Embassy to see if he can use that passport. I would think that it will be fine if it is current but you want to make sure that it is okay.
  • Have your boyfriend call the South African Embassy to see if he can use that passport. I would think that it will be fine if it is current but you want to make sure that it is okay.
  • If his South African passport is valid, thre is no issue in him arriving into South Africa. The issue will be departing from immigration in Italy as they will not accept his Italian ID for travel outside of the EU and he will not have a valid Italian visa in his South African passport to be able to use that to exit Italy. Even if he did manage to get out, he would not be able to get back into Italy without his valid Italian passport or Visa. I would suggest that he applies for an emergancy passport for the short term until his replacement arrives.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion